Original Apple Watch owners screwed over

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by syphern, Sep 18, 2016.

1. syphern macrumors 6502

Im going to get crucified for this but I have to say it the first apple watch should have had everything series 2 has now. It was an underpowered slow POS device which wasnt even water proof yet at the time people raved about it because it was an apple device. Honestly I do feel they screwed us over on that and the novelty of a new "apple gadget" is what sold it, now they release what they should have in the first place.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

So you bought it cause it was a new Apple gadget. You knew what you were buying.

Honestly, there's nothing in the next generation that makes me look at it a second time. More waterproof? Not a big deal for most people. Same with GPS. Unless you run outdoors, it doesn't matter.

3. page3 macrumors 6502

You're kidding? The original Apple Watch is wonderful and OS3 makes it even better. Still hugely happy with mine.

4. Nozuka macrumors 68000

Yes, how dare they make the new Watch better than the old one?

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

You're right, Apple should release good enough products and then never ever improve upon them for fear that people with older versions will be unhappy...

6. ibitegirls macrumors newbie

ibitegirls

Sure it could've been faster, but designing CPU's and building brand new hardware from scratch is no small feat. Designing products takes a lot of time, and 1st generation products are generally not a home run. I rarely, if ever, buy 1st generation products. I never considered purchasing the original iWatch because it looked premature, but I know tons of people who LOVE their original apple watch. Heck, there are numerous 5-star reviews on Best Buy.

You are bitter and need a snicker bar.

7. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I bought an AW on launch day and have waited 18 months for the next generation fully expecting that I was going to want to update immediately. I don't. I think I'm going to wait at least another cycle unless it turns out that second core really makes a difference.

And the ambient light sensor would be nice to have.

Water proofing and GPS are important to certain users, but not me. It's already water proof enough for what I need.

You bought a first generation device, this is the life early adopters lead...

8. dangeng macrumors member

Exactly! Me too! Although the waterproof watch is great I don't think that I am going to buy it... Still super happy with my Series 0.

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Is this your first electronic gadget?

10. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

The same could be said for EVERY first generation device. Welcome to the tech world. Apparently you've been absent since........30 years ago

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Did you really think that Apple would never issue a new model?

Really?

12. rdavis41 macrumors regular

rdavis41

The only thing this might have convinced me of is buying of the sport version only. I bought the SS model first time around. But I've now realized I am more than likely going to update every year because I am a watch wearer. Resale values have held fairly steady for Sport wearers, but tanked for SS models. Lesson learned. To me, having 2 kids and running occasionally, the inclusion of waterproofing and GPS is huge.

13. Jetfire macrumors 6502

Yeah I just canceled my 42mm SS series 2 Watch for 30th delivery. The resale value sucks on the Original SS one I got on launch day. I was also pissed when they went on sale a christmas. I'll wait until then and decide weather to get the Aluminum one or SS version. Maybe even series 1 for the better processor.

14. GLS macrumors 6502

There was probably a thread just like this when the iPad 2 was released.

And when the iPhone 3G was announced.

Ad infinitium.

15. matrix07, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

And original iPhone should had been what 3GS was. And Watch series 2 should be what series 5 will be. etc.

16. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

The Old Testament should have been what The New Testament is.

17. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

And my wife should be like a model I met yesterday. Buyer's remorse lol.

18. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think Apple took away a potentially-solid resale market when they bumped the specs and created the Series 1 Watches (making the first Watch a Series 0).

If your only choices were Series 2 or the original AW, I'm pretty sure that everyone with the originals would be doing better selling theirs now.

But, get mad because they created a better product? Why? I would hope they'd make the new ones better than the first generation.

19. Sonmi451 Suspended

If you didn't realize the AW1 was essentially a beta I don't know what to tell you. Everyone knew v2 and probably v3 would be the one to get.

20. fischersd, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't get why people feel cheated. They did a seemingly good job with the AW0. I see more and more people with it daily. Now this one seems marginally better, but if I were an AW0 owner, I wouldn't even bother with the update.

22. Leo90, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

Leo90 macrumors 6502

I knew exactly what I was buying when I got my series 0 SS AW and I plan to keep using it for a few more years. Watch OS 3 just made it so much simpler to use and faster, it is like Apple gave me a whole new Watch. Absolutely no complaints here and I dont feel compelled to buy series 2 at all! Just because there is something new in the market, it doesnt mean your current AW is obsolete. This one still serves me well. I will only buy new hardware when it is not possible to update firmware of current one.

23. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I hope OP is kidding or trolling. Anyone who bought a S0, knew what they were buying. You could try it out in the store or return it after 2 weeks of use. Very easy going terms.

AKA, you knew you were buying a "slow POS" and that it lacked waterproofing but you bought it anyways.

My one caveat is I had hoped apple would sale just the watch cases for those of us who already own a billion bands.

24. bacATapple macrumors regular

This.

25. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I bought my AW1 last year and it still works flawlessly..