Do any current Apple watch owners feel cheated?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jacoblee23, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I'm not talking about them launching an Apple Watch 2, I am referring to the fact that they are re-releasing the Apple Watch 1 with a faster processor. This is pretty frustrating and aggravating.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They re-release the iPhone in the same form factor with a faster processor every other year (in a S-type update). How's this any different?

3. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

You have to find Apple Watch owners first :) J/K

I would imagine for the people that just bought one a month or two ago would feel cheated, but i'm sure the people that bought one in that time frame, didn't care and/or didn't know they were going to announce something new in Sept.

With that said, I have seen many sales on gen 1 apple watches in the last few months, I even bought my g/f one, I asked her if she is upset they did that/announced it.

She of course does not care.

4. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

umm things get faster every year. that's progress.

my AW still works today, even though its replacement was announced yesterday. and it will still work tomorrow. and if Watch OS3 is really as fast as everyone says, then i should at least get another year out of it.

it's a watch that i use to quickly tell the time, check my calendar/weather/sports score, change my thermostat, and track my workouts. as long as those functions still work without a significant lag, i dont see the big deal in the updated model. if it takes 2 seconds to start a workout instead 3, who cares?

these updated models arent positioned toward existing AW users. they're for people who heeded the advice of "never jump on a 1st gen Apple product".

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I'm very happy with the Apple watch I bought a year ago, don't feel a burning desire to run out and buy the Apple Watch 2. Sure, there's some appealing things about the new one but not THAT appealing! I'll probably wait another year or so before replacing my current watch. I certainly don't feel "cheated."

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

My GF doesn't either and bought hers last week

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Not at all - I don't see what the problem is?

8. asfalloth macrumors member

asfalloth

Launch day AW S1 owner, don't feel cheated at all, I'm hoping mine will last me until AW S3 is released :)

9. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

i was only going to update if AW 2 had an always-on screen. i don't swim laps or run outside.

10. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

AW S1 is still unreleased. You just have the AW.

11. seattlecard macrumors member

I bought mine 10 days ago at best buy for 180.99 (open box). It was brand new. I don't feel cheated at the price I bought my gen 1 watch, and although I could do it, I won't return it to pay more for the new processor model. With WatchOS3 addressing speed issues, I just don't see how a new processor is going to provide the return on investment in the new series 1 model.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Although I wish GPS was included the first time around, I rely on my Garmin for running anyway. Hopefully Watch OS 3 will speed things up a little. If not, I may decide to sell it. Notifications just aren't that important to me and sadly, that's all I use it for.

I did a 5k on Saturday. I pressed the start button while standing still and then looked away. The Apple watch had not even started and that's using the Apple activity app. Not sure why they decided force touch was the best way to start and stop a run. Thank God I had my Garmin.

13. asfalloth macrumors member

asfalloth

Quite right just realised the AW S1 is the original AW with the new S2 Brain. Thanks for the correction.

I indeed only have the AW which hopefully will last me until the AW S3 :)

14. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

i think iMore is calling it Apple Watch Series 0 :)

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If previous owners feel cheated, then they really need to get back to reality.

16. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I don't feel that way. I've been running OS 3 beta and it's seems fast enough for my usage. I don't need GPS nor do I swim with a watch on. I love my sbss watch just fine.

17. alexcue macrumors regular

alexcue

Not a chance... I've enjoyed what I've had for as long as I've had it. If anything, it gives me an excuse to buy the new one in a couple of months. That way I can have both on a rotation.

18. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

I don't mind at all it was a first gen product. Os3 is the bigger update as it improves the experience. I expect a 2 to 3 year life for a gen 1 product. I do think the improvements will bring in more people to the device and grow its market.

19. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I agree, I'm curious to see for AW1 if the real benefit is OS3 rather than the faster processor..

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I see this rerelease more like releasing the 6s plus with the 7 plus internals AND still at a lower msrp. I don't quite see this analogous to what Apple has done in the last with many, if any, of their products.

Either way, this mentality of feeling cheated also doesn't make sense to me. Buy the product you want at the price point you're willing to pay. If something better and cheaper comes along, that's just technology and business. I shouldn't be less happy with something I bought yesterday because something better and cheaper I bought today is available.

Frankly I didn't feel the original Apple Watch was worth the money. Despite my wife having one, I skipped it. And I have historically been the guy with the latest tech in the house. It's finally at a point where I think it's worth the money. No matter what anyone says, $400 isn't nothing for a Watch, particularly for a guy who doesn't much wear watches. I needed a compelling reason to buy and that compelling reason is the gps sport tracking and much improved water resistance (the latter is less of a boon formme than the former).

21. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

22. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Nah. I've had an AW for a year and a half to enjoy and integrate into my daily routine? Why should I bet upset that they came out with another one that's faster and has more features? I mean, is this not what always happens? If they'd not been popular enough to continue the product line, that would've been disappointing, because I wear mine daily.

23. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Yeah, I don't see why the issue would be whether they're selling an "S1" with some updated hardware or not. Either way it wasn't available before.

24. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I anticipated and expected that there would be some combination of both performance/feature enhancements and price point adjustments. To think otherwise is just willfully shortsighted. Especially with a 1st gen product.

I don't want them to hold back my options now to help early adopters feel validated.

I suspect this market will soon resemble the smartphone market, where no level of improvement seems sufficient for many

25. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

<<<------ Current AW1 owner who doesn't feel cheated whatsoever.

Shall I go on and explain why?