original iPhone (Edge)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coppelia, Jan 27, 2011.

1. coppelia macrumors newbie

:confused:Is anyone else still using the Original as their only mobile phone?

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Damn right! Edge is painfully slow, but I'm on wifi as much as possible...

Love it though and I'm never gonna get rid of it (I will upgrade, but I'm never going to sell or give it away).

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm still using mine. I switched to prepaid ages ago, but I haven't added minutes in months. I don't miss it much, since I have to drive a mile from home to get signal, and there are dead zones all over the county.

Cell reception is garbage in this part of Appalachia. I check out the newer iPhones at the AT&T store on occasion, but can't convince myself to upgrade with another contract. There was no 3G coverage here when the iPhone 3G was released, so no point in upgrading. Shortly after 3GS, service showed as 3G, but with ~100kbps download speeds. I checked the iPhone 4 yesterday, and it got average of 400kbps down on 3G.

I've had AT&T and Sprint here, and they're both pretty terrible with Sprint being marginally better. Some disagreement between AT&T and T-Mobile resulted in no more T-Mo service here. I haven't used Verizon, but I'll test out the iPhones in the store once they're in.

I love the iPhone 4, but the service here isn't worth the monthly fees. I'm hopeful for Verizon iPhone, but not really expecting service to be any better. The combination of terrain, low population density, and low median income just make this a bad area for cell coverage.

I may just have to live with an iPod touch and a Tracfone. Either that or move somewhere decent.

4. PhoenixKit macrumors newbie

Yeah, I still use mine. It's a good phone but Edge is almost unbearably slow though..:(

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I still have mine. I'm probably waiting for whatever version comes out this summer at this point. I won't have 3g service in my area until later this spring so there's not a ton of reason to upgrade yet. This phone is a tank though. I've smashed it, dropped it, hit it on things and it takes the damage and keeps on going. I'm a little nervous with the new all glass iPhone 4's since I go without a case. Hopefully the next design has some durability in mind.

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

LiquidMetal hopefully, but I doubt a redesign this early. Man, how I wish I was an original iPhone owner. That's a piece of history there, mates! Never get rid of it! ;)

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'll was considering selling it in a few weeks along with the Apple Bluetooth Headset, but I may hold onto them until I can get a collector's premium. Still have all the original boxes and accessories, but they don't fetch much on eBay at the moment.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Best advice: keep em'! ;)

9. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

One of these days, I'm going to buy an original iPhone from eBay. I love the look of them and would like to have one just as a collector's item.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

It's funny this thread came up because I just bought an original iPhone off of Ebay today! I have had all versions as they came out (and have a iPhone 4 now) but still feel like the first was still the best. Felt great in the hand.

Weird being nostalgic for a phone that only came out 3.5 years ago! :p

11. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I wish I still had mine.... My Area is still edge so I've become used to the slow speeds although I'm on wifi most of the time.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ouch

I can't imagine not having 3G (with a good 3Mb/s)
    Actually I could, but still.
    Edge isn't too bad here. I haven't ever found my phone on edge besides on a road trip on the middle of some random highway. But at home, I can only get on edge by disabling 3G. Edge is still pretty fast here. Just takes a second or two longer to load the page.

Anyways, I know a few people who still use their original iPhone. Not many people bought it back then because of the price, but it sure looks nice.

13. coppelia thread starter macrumors newbie

:)Thanks All for replies . Purchased mine on "day one".Still amazed how strong the original battery is after 3.5 years.

14. sportster macrumors 6502

I haven't used my old ones in a long time. Never had any issues with the phone side, but like the others have said the data speeds were horrendously slow on the edge network! If I hadn't used anything better I would have no trouble still using it.

Here is a family shot of my iPhone history. From left to right: 1st gen Edge, 3G, 3Gs, 4

Attached Files:

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Nice. All four generations of the iPhone. Are you going to move onto the fifth then as well?

16. sportster macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, I'm thinking not. But, then again that's what I said when I got my iPhone 4. I was actually really happy with my 3Gs, I upgraded my fiancee 3G to a 4 and liked hers. We had lots of issues with the 3G after the 3.0 os update.

I sold the others off to buy an iPad, so I won't be able to do a 5 generation photo with the next one :(

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There's 5 iPhone users in my household. Between ourselves and the unused phones, we have:

2 x iPhone (original) - both currently unused
    1 x iPhone 3G (white)
    2 x iPhone 3GS (both black)
    2 x iPhone 4

And next week we'll be adding a Verizon iPhone 4 to the mix.

18. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I have a Edge iPhone which was imported specially from the United States for me. Very few people in my country managed to get their hands on an Original generation iPhone, so I love it a lot and often just pick it up and hold it in my hand to look at it's beauty, I still love the design and think it is the greatest iPhone design aside from the 4.

Heaps of people have offered my hundreds of dollars for it but I have refused all offers, I love the phone to much to let it go.

I don't use it as my primary device as I need a 3G connection as I am often out of wifi range and need to download large PDF'S and images but I still have a prepaid sim in phone and use it when I feel like it.

19. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I did until getting a 4 a few months ago. Worked great. Loved it. I wouldn't mind still using it.

20. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Yup. That and the fact that it's built like a tank. :D

21. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I hope to get a sealed in box 1st gen. Just to have.

22. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

I hope future generation iPhones are built like tanks, yet somehow manage to retain their upscaled stylistic lines.

I love the iP4, but it veers a bit on the delicate side -- yielding to the 'form over function' factor.

I have an original iPhone, and it's true... that thing looks as good as the day it was bought.

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Agreed. Knowing Apple, I'm sure they can pull it off. The question is when? iPhone 5, perhaps?

24. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I say replacing the iPhone 4 glass both back and front with a unsmashable material but still glass like, I'm sure a material like this can be created and getting a nice unscratchable metal for the antenna (I've scrachted my antenna in a case). Also making sure the internals can withstand a certain degree of shock.