Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
The US is way behind the world in this. We need better consumer protection laws. They shoud have parts and service available for at least five years, 10 would be better but three is just ripping people off.

It's not like Aple woud have to give away the parts, they sell for a huge mark up. Just have them available so good working gear does not have to be thrown away

Oy. Just get it fixed elsewhere and stop volunteering the rest of our money to subsidize your refusal to keep up with technology.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple really commits to the longevity of its products.

I have my original 1992 ThinkPad 700C. It's fully operational & OEM parts are still for sale. Now _that's_ a well supported laptop.

It's legendary performance, reliability & ruggedness is why ThinkPads went to the moon, every space shuttle flight, and the International Space Station of the present.

Apple has chosen a retail consumer business model, where demands are far less & obsolescence comes much sooner.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
It's legendary performance, reliability & ruggedness is why ThinkPads went to the moon, every space shuttle flight, and the International Space Station of the present.

NASA uses older processors that can be radiation hardened more easily on flight hardware. IBM was willing to make these for them. (And they didn't take laptops to the moon. That was in the 60's and 70's... duh.)

I've seen a Macintosh Portable in use on mission. Ever watch a power-eject floppy drive shoot a disk across the cabin? This was before the word "ThinkPad" existed.

BTW, they take iPads now.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
Good riddance! I had one, and it took about two minutes to boot up. My iPhone 4 is much better, but is still slow at times. When I replace that with an unlocked iPhone 5S later this year, I'll be glad to be rid of the iPhone 4. Such is progress.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
NASA uses older processors that can be radiation hardened more easily on flight hardware. IBM was willing to make these for them. (And they didn't take laptops to the moon. That was in the 60's and 70's... duh.)

I've seen a Macintosh Portable in use on mission. Ever watch a power-eject floppy drive shoot a disk across the cabin? This was before the word "ThinkPad" existed.

BTW, they take iPads now.

Apollo 17 was ThinkPad equipped. Here's from the IBM ThinkPad site.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/space/space_thinkpad.html

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
The US is way behind the world in this. We need better consumer protection laws. They shoud have parts and service available for at least five years, 10 would be better but three is just ripping people off.

It's not like Aple woud have to give away the parts, they sell for a huge mark up. Just have them available so good working gear does not have to be thrown away

This phone was introduced in 2007. It's only just now that Apple considers the phone obsolete. That's 6 years. Perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Seriously though, I've never heard a more entitled post. Apple doesn't owe you anything. They sell products. If you want the product, you buy it. If you don't like how long they'll service their products, then don't buy it. Voting with your wallet hurts one business, while "consumer protection laws" tend to hurt everyone, unintended consequences abound.

You also have to realize that not everyone wants to pay for 10 years of service. People who buy dumb phones that just sit in their pocket all day, likely don't care too much if they have to buy a new one, since the old one was dirt cheap anyway. If the business was forced to provide 10 years of service for every phone, then (and here we get back to unintended consequences) the price of the phone would go up needlessly. Consumers are plenty smart enough to decide if the phone and the service provided by the company is adequate for their needs. If it's not, then it's not. The end.

ImpKali

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
Why does Apple keep marking products I still use as obsolete?! I love using this alongside my Apple Newton and my Apple II. Who needs a fancy schmancy new iMac and iPad? Kids these days.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
There are still people out there using it happily. And the battery life is still great - 3 days of battery life with heavy use. No other iPhone could do that. :)

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I have my original 1992 ThinkPad 700C. It's fully operational & OEM parts are still for sale. Now _that's_ a well supported laptop.

Do you mean OEM parts straight from IBM or sold by 3rd parties, because that is a huge difference here (you could probably still find OEM Apple II parts through third parties). Especially considering IBM no longer makes ThinkPads (Leveno now makes them).

Out of curiosity, do you still use the laptop? I can't imagine it having much practical use anymore.

We have went to the moon with unmanned probes since then, it is possible that they had ThinkPad's in them but I don't know for certain.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The problem with the Tim Cook bashing is that you don't seem to understand how CEOs really work. Steve Jobs was an exception. The CEO isn't supposed to innovate. They're supposed to run the day-to-day business end of things. Cook is perfect for what he's supposed to be doing. It's Jonny Ive's job to innovate.

This should be posted somewhere on the front page in big, bold letters so when someone is about to make a post about him, they will be able to read that.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I still have mine but it currently sits in my personal Apple memorabilia.

On a related note, I saw an original iPhone as a gallery piece last week. Really weird seeing it in a case for visitors to gaze upon as a distant artifact of the past.

----------

For old time's sake.....

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Still the best looking and best feeling to hold iPhone of the lot.

My mum uses mine, its still going strong after all these years, and even though the back has taken a bit of a beating, it still looks good because instead of being scratched glass or chipped paint of anodised metal its just got a worn silver appearance.

i miss the reassuring weight, the curved edge and the overall material feel and look of the iPhone 1, everytime i pick up my iPhone 5 i expect to be able to click the top and mints to fall out of it.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Never gave this much thought, not really surprised as five years in the tech world is a long time. I imagine the original iPhone would be a pain to use these days.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Oy. Just get it fixed elsewhere and stop volunteering the rest of our money to subsidize your refusal to keep up with technology.

The vintage policy is clearly stated, but your assessment is still complete crap. You aren't subsidizing it unless you're a shareholder. The repairs aren't free out of warranty. They likely ensure that there is no real loss involved in them. If there was, it still might not budge the price. If Apple thought they would sell the same number of units for $100 more, the phone price would reflect that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
A handheld device that's over 6 years old is considered obsolete by the manufacturer. Exactly 0 people in the entire world are surprised by this "news".

It's considered "vintage" by Apple five years after sales are discontinued.
It's considered "obsolete" by Apple seven years after sales are discontinue.

UK consumer law says that any possible obligation between seller and purchaser dies six years after purchase (that doesn't mean you would have rights after say 5 1/2 years, it would depend on the situation, it means that after six years the seller doesn't have to talk to you at all, no matter what).

----------

Never gave this much thought, not really surprised as five years in the tech world is a long time. I imagine the original iPhone would be a pain to use these days.

Why? Electric shocks? I doubt it. You use it exactly the same way as six years ago.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Why? Electric shocks? I doubt it. You use it exactly the same way as six years ago.

Lack of updates, my 3GS was getting older to use for what I wanted to do because it was moving on three years old, an almost seven year old phone would be a little troublesome for me to use unless what I wanted to do was extremely limited.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
The original and the 3G versions where definitely more comfortable to hold without a case than the 4's & 5's (especially the 4's). It would be nice if they would go back to the rounded edges.

I have the original, 3Gs and a four. I prefer the feel of the 4. It's feels gold and sensual to me. Just a matter of taste. No case btw, I love it's look naked lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.