MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Our affiliate partner MacMall notified us that they are now offering the original 1.6GHz MacBook Air with 80GB hard drive for $1149.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate.

This represents a significant drop in price for the 1st generation MacBook Air. The 1.6GHz model originally retailed for $1799 but has since been replaced by the NVIDIA-based MacBook Air that was introduced in October. Specs for the new machine are roughly similar, though, the graphics card has been upgraded to a faster NVIDIA integrated chipset.

The offer runs until the end of the month (or presumably when stock runs out).

Article Link: Original MacBook Air Available for $1149.99

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Yes. :D If these things hit the less-than-a-grand area, I'm going to be in heaven. Given the Mini doesn't get the boost I'm hoping for. I love the out of the ordinary computers.

Comment

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
So, my MBA at $1799 has depreciated in a matter of (3) months to $1149 or a measly $650 in the minus column. You've got to be $hi&&in' me...:mad:

probably even more than that since yours is used. thats tech for ya. I paid 1100 for my macbook a few months ago and its probably only worth 750-800 now. oh well

Comment

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Comment

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Big deal...

All of MacMall's Macs are preowned.

And you can get a MacBook Air on eBay for $800

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I've always purchased my MacBooks in part, due to their resale value and their ability to hold their own in a once stable economy, but that situation seems to be falling to the wayside. Dang, those updates are killing us...:eek:

There's always updates. But the economy I think has had a large effect on vaunted Mac resale prices lately- if not MacMall prices then definitely secondhand market prices.

Comment

bluefire75

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
Shinobi Training Center
Just ordered one. Really good deal all around and will definitely meet my needs. Now, I just have to wait it out. Also, I did contact MacMall and these are new machines, not preowned or refurbs.

Comment

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
par for the course

So, my MBA at $1799 has depreciated in a matter of (3) months to $1149 or a measly $650 in the minus column. You've got to be $hi&&in' me...:mad:

Hey, the entire country has depreciated by more than 1/3 in that time!

Comment

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Big deal...

All of MacMall's Macs are preowned.

And you can get a MacBook Air on eBay for $800

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, were did that come from? Do you mean Mac Resource, Mac Connection, or Mac of all Trades?

Does MacMall even sell refurbs?

2 cents doesn't buy much:D

Comment

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The Fry's ad for today has the original White 2.1 MacBook with the Combo Drive new for $799... :eek:

They also have a couple of older MacBooks closeout.

I guess they are just closing these computers out at this point. Great time to buy cool Macs at lower prices.

Comment

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
The Fry's ad for today has the original White 2.1 MacBook with the Combo Drive new for $799... :eek:

They also have a couple of older MacBooks closeout.

I guess they are just closing these computers out at this point. Great time to buy cool Macs at lower prices.

ouch

Comment

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Comment

andyr2120

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Some of the people who buy computers on eBay don't have a clue on how much something is going for on the open market. I've seem people bidding almost list price for Apple computers and having to pay shipping. It would be cheaper for them to buy from Amazon with free shipping and no tax.

Tell me about it! It's barely worth checking Ebay for a used Mac these days. I still do it, but you are better off at the apple refurb site or Amazon, etc.

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Ahhhhh, Arn! I don't need it but now I want it. Must resist..........

Seriously that is a great deal, thanks for posting.

Refurbs are 1349.-

At 1149 i could imagine to crack it open and put a 5400 rpm 160 GB HD in as soon as they are available.

Comment

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The problem is with the new revisions, you have to compare value to not what price was before but rather how much nicer, and more powerful, the new one is.

I mean with the penryn 45nm processor so it's cooler, and the Sata so it's much faster, and the graphics of the Nvidia gpu, and the faster memory, TO ME the old one is worth less than half as much as the new one.

I am truly considering the new Air at $2499 and selling both my new MB and v 2,2 MBP. And adding the 24" led App. But then I cannot decide. I love the portability of the air.

Comment

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Well, with that said, why don't you wait until it's available for $1248.50... LOL :p

No it was very obvious I was comparing two base models. But I then gave my own personal feeling of how I really like the SSD upgraded model for myself.

So, the price would have to come down to $899.50 based on my point of comparing two base versions.

Even then at $899.50, the original Air doesn't compare in my book based on all improvements of the new one.

Remember when you buy version one it is much slower in hard drive and graphics. Plus the old one overheats and shuts down while the new one is cool and powerful.

So, in my opinion it's even worse news to old Air owners as to me they are not worth $899.50. Just my opinion of value of old relative to new Air's price.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.