OS 4.1 I fell in the trap

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Diego P, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Diego P macrumors newbie

Today I did what I should not have done: updating to 4.1 on a ultrasn0w jailbroken phone. The result is that my phone has become completely unusable and that there is no way to restore the unlock with redsn0w. I know the release of a new jailbreak method for 4.1 is imminent but I wonder if I will be able to recover my phone which seems to be ultra-locked now. Has anyone heard similar stories?

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

So we can all learn from your mistake, perhaps the mods will make this a Sticky. How do you accidentally download 100s of megs of 4.1 and accidentally install it?

To get out of this mess, you have to put your phone in DFU mode and restore it to 4.1.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yes, every time a new iOS version comes out, someone "mistakenly" updates and posts here that they have issues now. :)

I'm not sure what recovery you would need but now that your iPhone has a new baseband, it may never be able to be unlocked again. if you need it to be unlocked, you might want to sell it and try to get one with a version of firmware/baseband that can still be jailbroken/unlocked.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The new jailbreake seen to be a bootroom level jailbreak so you will be fine, just wait for it to be release, that may no always be the case so STOP click ok to every popup you get on iTunes, that is not an "accidental" update, there is nothing sneaky about update process it required a lot of user interaction.

5. Diego P thread starter macrumors newbie

Sarcasm does not help but thanks anyway. I did not do it accidentally. I'm new to this world and I did not know an update was dangerous.

Thanks Maturola, this is encouraging

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Encouraging if you want to jailbreak, if you need an unlock, not so much.

7. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Yes, but OP updated his baseband. So the current US won't touch it, even when new JB is released.

OP, is it an iPhone 4 you updated ?

If so, you can downgrade the baseband

Go here and follow these directions (they are on the blog also) You will still not be able to JB but you will have your old baseband back

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just a thought we don't know what type of iPhone he Accidentally upgraded so he might be ok if it's the 4 oops, I also would hold off a day or two before selling. I do vote Yeah for the How not to Accidentally upgrade Firmware Sticky! then again nobody ever reads them anyway!

9. Diego P thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, it's an iPhone 3g I have updated.. I presume there is no way to revert its condition then?

10. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

I don't know of anyway to revert the baseband.

11. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Depends, there are some 3G's that can have their baseband downgraded using Fuzzyband. I haven't done this myself but I've seen it brought up here a few times. I think your bootloader needs to be 5.08. If it's 5.09 or higher you can't downgrade.

I found this that might help:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-new...wngrade-any-baseband-simple-click-button.html

If it does, it may help other to know this if the have a 3G under certain conditions, that they can downgrade the baseband. :)

12. Diego P thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I will try this and let you know.

Thanks

It appears that 3f FuzzyBand Downgrader is only available from Cydia, which I think implies that you have access to your phone. This is not my case. What I can do with my iPhone now is only 'Emergency calls'

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Don't you have a working SIM card?

14. jbdd21 macrumors newbie

You'll be fine. You might have to use a go-phone for a while, but a Jailbreak is coming, trust.

15. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Here's where it's "complicated" now. I think you'll have to restore down to 3.12 since the 4.x version of iOS now include a soft SHSH and if you don't have them on file in Cydia, you can't restore to 4.0.1. If you do have 4.0.1 SHSH's saved in Cydia, you can downgrade to that.

If not, downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with redsn0w. Then download Fuzzyband to see if you can downgrade the baseband. If you can, then you are "set". I put that in quotes because unfortunately, you would be stuck at 3.1.2 since you don't have any SHSH on file with Cydia, Apple is not signing 4.0.1 any longer so you couldn't update with TinyUmbrella or the like (not sure if that even works for the soft SHSH in the 3G or not).

Sorry if that's a touch confusing, I wrote it and it seems hard to follow. :)

16. Diego P thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I might have omitted necessary information. The iPhone I have came from a friend, without an active simcard (she upgraded to iPhone 4) before upgrading, I did all the jailbreaking stuff using another functioning simcard (it works with other phones).

However, after I upgraded to 4.1 it seems like the iPhone does not even recognise the sim card.

I'll try the downgrading to 3.12 and jailbreaking with redsn0w and post the results.

I am bumping into something else now - redsn0w (ver. 0.9.5b5-5) is telling me it cannot recognise the IPSW (I tried 3.12 and 3.0)

is there any other way to downgrade to 3.12?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

18. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

You don't use Redsn0w to downgrade, you use iTunes

Redsn0w is to re-jailbreak once you get to 3.1.2

Sorry to say this OP but I see now why you lost your JB and UL.
    If you get this fixed, I recommend you take a couple of hours and read every thread on pages 1-2-3. It will help you out.

19. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Apple's "AN UPDATE IS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR iPhone!" message is too strong for eager people with weak minds to resist.

20. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

So many terminology errors in one post..

21. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Not exactly rocket science...

The only thing different this go-'round is the "do not ask again" checkbox is absent...

Attached Files:

22. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

If you choose download only, then the next time you plug into iTunes, you get the do you wanna install question with the Don't remind me again checkbox.

23. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

He did say he was new to the JB scene. Give the guy a break.

24. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Good to know. Might as well have it handy for when the jailbreak is released. :)

25. crazycanucks macrumors regular

The OP has been a member on Macforums since Jul 2010. If he cannot see the mutple threads before today on not to upgrade, even when 4.02 came out in August, then I guess he did "accidently" upgrade. To each his own I guess