OS Mavericks Sucks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by rdallas, Dec 4, 2013.

1. rdallas macrumors newbie

Hi,

I upgraded to OS Mavericks as soon as it came out on my mid-2013 Macbook.

When I upgraded, my computer became super super slow.

It was never "fast" before; but good. After I upgraded, it froze once to the point I had to to do a hard restart, and it took like an hour to restart.

It always freezes and I always see the rainbow cursor and the time cursor for everything I do, its ridiculous.

its ridiculous, i thought Mavericks "compression ram" feature was suppose to be a good thing.

NOW....

I did upgrade to 16GB Memory because of this crappy performance, but I'm still having an issue here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1680896

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Runs like a champ on my late 2013, ran fine on my old 2010 C2D MacBook Pro. I did do a fresh install on the 2010.

3. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I did an upgrade on my Late 2008 MacBook regular with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo and 8GB RAM, I've had no problems besides a common scrolling problem that pops up in Chrome. It feels faster than Mountain Lion.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Sometimes one must do a clean install.

It's worth it. Mavericks is marvelous.

5. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I am running mavericks on my mid 2010 imac.

It is great. I think you are an isolated case. Do a fresh install and see if its fixed.

6. sachin234000 macrumors newbie

Mavericks solved the lag on my MBPr.

Mavericks to me is like gem. Was frustrated bye the lagging of MBPr and now it's 96% gone. Buttery smooth safari....love it.
    And battery life increased too.:)

7. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

This. Declaring an entire product to "suck" just because you had a bad experience is ridiculous.

8. phsphoenix macrumors member

He does have half a point though. Having two different builds for Haswell and non-Haswell macbooks is a pretty good indicator that the product is not ready for mass consumption. That said, any .0 release is basically code for "We released this because we had a deadline." Let's wait for the .1 release and see what happens.

9. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

That's actually common practice. Usually they converge a bit quicker, but custom builds are nevertheless extremely common. I was actually impressed with Mavericks throughout the beta cycle. It was night and day better than previous OS iterations.

10. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

This sounds like it has nothing to do with Mavericks and more to do with a problem with the computer? have you thought about doing a clean install instead of upgrade?

I just reset everything on my iphone 4s and installed ios7. It runs much better now than before were I upgraded from ios 6 to ios7.

11. phsphoenix macrumors member

I'm still baffled every time some person says "I want to upgrade to XXX." There's no OS in the world that can ensure a 100% problem free upgrade experience. Clean installs are almost always easier to do, and also take less time most of the time. It only takes one little screw-up on an upgrade and you end up troubleshooting for longer than if you had done the clean install.

12. Goddard1999 macrumors newbie

Where do all the good reviews of Mavericks come from? Are you all Apple employees? What about customers that don't fancy all that iOS cheap look-a-like "advantages"?! For me my iPhone is nothing but a necessity connected with my job and I don't want my desktop to look like a phone display. On the other hand one must be blind not to noticed that despite lack of hardware development (we are on the same CPU technology since Snow Leopard), but Apple has managed to release several MacOS and prosumer software upgrades (FCPX, Logic X and even iLife...) that aren't back compatible with earlier releases. And I suppose that beside pure profit the development is caused by increased demand for surveillance of more and more segregated and unsatisfied global society by reigning corporate class that Apple is a part of. So ask yourself twice before installing it: where is it all going? And why? It's time to wake up! Happy New Year to all of you!

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Maybe it's time for you to wake up. Mavericks brings a lot of advantages, especially for modern Retina laptops.
    It is by no means a revolution, but a welcome addition to the OS X operating system.
    At least Apple tried to put some power user features in it, despite the trend towards consumers with none or basic computer skills.
    Mavericks is running very stable on my computer and is also a bit faster. I have tested it on three Macs so far, with zero issues.
    The only big problem has been Mail, especially for people using Exchange and Gmail. It generally sucks, but this is not different from other OS versions...

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well get an SSD. And you'll see the difference between night and day.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Could be a driver you have loaded on your machine for something, or a startup/login application causing issues.

Seemed to remember that some of the logitech or kingston mouse drivers had issues and needed updates.

Might want to check some of the drivers, and applications to see if you can narrow it down.

16. Miloh macrumors newbie

What are you going on about? Last I checked Apple isn't trying to shove down their smartphone OS GUI down our throats ala Windows 8. The only thing that even remotely iOS like is Launchpad, which is entirely optional. Fullscreen Apps is a godsend for the 13" and below MacBooks.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry to hear the issues OP, but for me, Mavericks has been rock solid and stable. I think your experience is not typical of the average upgrader. I know that's little consolation for you.

FWIW, I did not go the clean install route but the upgrade

18. janitor3 macrumors regular

I did the upgrade to mavericks on my 2010 mac mini and my 2011 macbook pro.
    The macbook pro works perfect but the mac mini will only work using ethernet, the wireless doesn't work, or when it does it only works for about 5 mins.
    Result is I restored my mac mini to mountain lion 10.8.5 and I have my wifi connection back.

19. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

No mid-2013 MacBook has user upgradable memory. It might be a 2012 MacBook Pro, but that still doesn't account for it not being fast before Mavericks.

What model do you actually have?

20. faneos macrumors member

faneos

I dont understand why apple release a new os with so many serious bugs why dont wait a little more time to fix them:confused:I run dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows are far more stable.Specially this ridiculus mail bug that cause high cpu all the time i hadnt see it even in windows millenium and they refused to fix it.WTF!

21. 2trout macrumors member

these posts are starting to sound like a broken record!
    "Mavericks screwed up my system"...."Mavericks suck"...."now my Mac is much slower"....then we have "nothing wrong with Mavericks"..."works like a charm on my Mac"...."best thing since sliced bread"....
    I wish I had the answer why some upgrades work just fine and others don't, mine belong in the latter category, never had any serious problems.
    And yes, to just make a blanked statement "Mavericks suck", or "why did Apple release a buggy OS", really make no sense, because if those are true, then we ALL would be having problems.
    Again, I do feel for those that are experiencing problems, nothing worse than having major issues with your Mac, but logic tells me that there must be other issues with those troublesome Mavericks upgrades/installations than just "Mavericks sucks".

22. faneos macrumors member

faneos

Our macs are fine the os x is buggy like worst christian and kaballah hell.If you dont believe us fine check this site for example http://macperformanceguide.com/ who talks a developer and serious creative professional about this.

23. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Dittos here on five Macs, all of which we upgraded in-place. Heck, I threw caution to the wind and upgraded from my hotel room without a backup. Idiocy... but it went well.

Modern OSes are very complex, and there's a lot that can go wrong in an in-place upgrade as massive as Mavericks'. On many platforms (including popular versions of Linux such as Ubuntu), upgrading to a new release is a major undertaking. It's amazing more folks don't have issues as OP does, frankly.

So, seems like a clean install is needed. It'll require some time, but the result should be a rejuvenated machine with lots of great new capabilities, performance and features.

24. 2trout macrumors member

I'd appreciate it if you read my post properly and then try and respond to it accordingly.
    I've never stated that I do not believe that anyone is having problems, I quoted in saying that I wish I had the answer as to why some upgrades are having such issues.
    As well, I did not state that your Macs have problems, I said that there would have to be other issues.
    Take the time to read posts properly, TRY and understand what people are saying and respond accordingly.

25. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah I gotta echo the sentiments that Mavs runs great on my i5 Mac Mini 2012. I did a clean install and not an upgrade. For me if it's a new OS release then it's a clean install. If it's just an update to the current OS then I just perform the update. I rarely run into problems that way.