Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Where do all the good reviews of Mavericks come from? Are you all Apple employees?

...said the new user with the single post.

What about customers that don't fancy all that iOS cheap look-a-like "advantages"?! For me my iPhone is nothing but a necessity connected with my job and I don't want my desktop to look like a phone display.

Have you.. LOOKED at a Mavericks desktop? It's not something I'd confuse with iOS.

There ARE some things like Mission Control, that are iOS-esque, but they were there way before Mavericks, and they aren't required to use OS X (I never use it myself).

On the other hand one must be blind not to noticed that despite lack of hardware development (we are on the same CPU technology since Snow Leopard),

Blatantly false. Snow Leopard was still the era of 32-bit CPUs. Heck, it has just barely stopped supporting the old PowerPC architecture. Several generations of Intel Core processors have iterated since then, And Apple's always been one of the first OEMs to make use of them.

And I suppose that beside pure profit the development is caused by increased demand for surveillance of more and more segregated and unsatisfied global society by reigning corporate class that Apple is a part of.

Oh brother, here we go. :rolleyes:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
how about...

some people use their macs for content creation or in complicated set-ups and have uses for advanced features of a program/OS, while someone who web browses and does word processing won't run into specific work-case issues.

I'd disagree with that, right off. I use my Macs (several of them) for various content-creation, audio, video, web design, and server system administration tasks. All of them run Mavericks, and all of them are running without issues.

if you don't use any peripherals you will never suffer from a driver/incompatible hardware issue after an upgrade

More like: if you use peripherals from reputed vendors who care to test against new operating system versions, you won't suffer from problems after an upgrade.

And unfortunately, this isn't just an Apple/OS X issue. It's just as much a problem in Windows.

if you only use out of the box software you will never have a bug with photoshop or logic pro

Explain "out of the box" software. Isn't all commercial software pretty much "out of the box?"

if you don't have a network share with an extensive file structure you don't into the SMB issues

Yaknow, Mavericks for me has been the SMOOTHEST in terms of SMB shares. I've had far more issues with previous versions.

if you didn't notice feature x,y,z was removed you won't miss it

Like what, the fake leather and fake torn pages on iCal? The excessive use of the linen background? The LACK of proper multi-dispaly support? Yeah, I really miss those "features."

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
I'd disagree with that, right off. I use my Macs (several of them) for various content-creation, audio, video, web design, and server system administration tasks. All of them run Mavericks, and all of them are running without issues.

More like: if you use peripherals from reputed vendors who care to test against new operating system versions, you won't suffer from problems after an upgrade.

And unfortunately, this isn't just an Apple/OS X issue. It's just as much a problem in Windows.

Explain "out of the box" software. Isn't all commercial software pretty much "out of the box?"

Yaknow, Mavericks for me has been the SMOOTHEST in terms of SMB shares. I've had far more issues with previous versions.

Like what, the fake leather and fake torn pages on iCal? The excessive use of the linen background? The LACK of proper multi-dispaly support? Yeah, I really miss those "features."

so hardware that worked with every previous os x is not from a reputed vendor? hardware that is CLASS-COMPLIANT and doesn't need drivers all of the sudden stop working under mavericks

if you don't know what out of the box means - it refers to a fresh install of an OS with all of the included programs. if you install something 3rd party its not out of the box.

as for smb
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5467191

like i said if your set-up is simple you might not have issues. but there are people with thousands of files in thousands of folders and os x just doesn't want to load the file structure

if you are basic then mavericks is fine. it obviously wasn't tested outside of core/simple test cases

what about the crappy preview performance, and the fact that quicklook doesn't support half the file types it used to, or that quicktime is actually avfoundation and can't be extended with codecs, or the fact that some magic trackpad gestures don't work the same

like i said you don't know what you miss if you don't know

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
so hardware that worked with every previous os x is not from a reputed vendor?

Sometimes, or one that doesn't care to follow up support for new version of an OS. Canon comes to mind, their scanner and printer driver support has sucked since Panther.

And again, this is not an OS X-only problem.

So, Apple doesn't support an implementation of Windows Server that's more than 7 years old and has seen no updates? Gee, no wonder I wasn't having problems... I keep my servers' software up to date. Silly me.

like i said if your set-up is simple you might not have issues.

And like I said, the problem is more often with situations where edge cases exist - as they do on all platforms - where either the vendor or the user has decided to be lax on support. Not being bitten by these issues doesn't automatically mean that a user is "basic," or that you have special knowledge above them (actually, one might argue it could actually suggest the opposite, in some cases). There are lots of users with advanced configurations that have managed this upgrade just fine.

Operating systems evolve and improve, and older APIs and programming classes deprecate over time. If these things are ignored, yup, you're going to have problems.

Mavericks is not new or unique in this regard. All you have to do is look in the history of this and other forums where every OS X release has been billed the worst OS ever by someone grousing because their old software or hardware stopped working due to support abandonment. And you'll see it in Microsoft-specific forums and linux-specific forums too. And in all cases, it's incorrect to assume that ALL users worthy of an "advanced" platform are having problems, and that people who aren't should all really just have the computer taken away from them because they only really need an iPad, anyway.

but there are people with thousands of files in thousands of folders and os x just doesn't want to load the file structure

Really? I have a half-full 22TB NAS that Mavericks-running-Macs connect to all the time, both Haswell and pre-Haswell models, and they "load the file structure" all the time, assuming "load the file structure" means correctly display all files and directories and access/open/write files without difficulty or file corruption. Again, it's worked better for under Mavericks than Lion or Mountain Lion, where I had all kinds of issues.

what about the crappy preview performance

Hasn't been crappy for me.

and the fact that quicklook doesn't support half the file types it used to, or that quicktime is actually avfoundation and can't be extended with codecs

This I'll give you, Quicktime X has been pretty badly hobbled. But Quicktime X has been for "basic" users, as you so nicely put it, for several versions now. There are other players that could and should be used, instead of that tripe.

Last edited:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Why Mavericks sucks.
-Continually won't connect to WiFi and I need to do in manually.
-Newest iMovie was found to be unable to finalize or share.
-I finally went back to a previous TimeMachine save and I'm back at Mountain Lion and much happier.

STAY AWAY FROM MAVERICKS!

Its called "USER ERROR" not Mavericks. Millions have it installed, and doing just fine. To say, "Stay away from it, is just silly talk from a first time poster.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Its called "USER ERROR" not Mavericks. Millions have it installed, and doing just fine. To say, "Stay away from it, is just silly talk from a first time poster.
No Its called "mavericks is full of bugs" straight.It doesn't matter if billions have installed it and play agry birds,safari and there are happy.The important is what serious users who work what have to say and you know what they say including me mavericks SUCKS:apple:

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Try running OnyX. Mavs was slow for me on a few Macs I upgraded, but once OnyX cleans things up it's much faster. And I've upgraded a fair number of Macs thus far — several 2012 nMBPs, 2012 MBAs, 2009 MBs, 2009 MBPs, 2009 iMacs, 2011 Mac Minis.

And I'll also mention that it's working great in some more complex environments, including being bound to OD on an Xserve w/ 10.7 and managed prefs from Workgroup Manager. Also I'm rejoicing that Apple Remote Desktop finally works again, as it was FUBAR'd on Mountain Lion.

zmanzero

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Quite honestly, Mavericks does not suck. I am mid 2007 iMac with 3 GB of ram and it's pretty smooth. I upgraded from Snow Leopard.

My internal drive had crapped out and this release has apparently a better disc utility as i was able to repair it and restore from Time Machine. In a nutshell, I'm pretty happy with this.

Just keep the smilie face stuff off your system and enjoy the ride.

K, back to lurking.

JimmyZ123

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014

If it were not FOR the problems with Mavericks, I'd have ZERO posts. Apple does not respond to user complaints despite repeated attempts. Again, Mavericks sucks and I would suggest anyone take the risk.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I still like OS X; but, it is quite funny on this forum to see the typical user defense of an obviously inferior release as compared to older OSes released by Apple. To me Mavericks is as bad as Windows Vista. It was rushed, unpolished, filled with critical bugs, and has yet to be fixed in many areas (see: Mail.app).

I hope Apple reassess their economies of scale when it comes to development and puts money back into OS X for future releases. We rarely see these kinds of bugs and issues with iOS. And Apple is only designing for its own hardware in OS X, so there is no excuse other than lack of commitment IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I had hourly kernel panics on my 2009 MBP with it, sometimes it took even less time.
And I only had to use Apple apps to get that triggered.
And the kernel panic report comments got worse and worse, the poor soul, who had to skim that unimportant part of that. And not even Tim Cook (or his henchpeople) seems to care, as I wrote a polite email to that fella to remind the OS X team to fix that censored expletive no one under the age of 99 really gives a censored expletive about.

Now that MBP is running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard again and working like a champ.

I wait a while till I try it on a more modern Mac. Man, even OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is quite good compared to that.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
If it were not FOR the problems with Mavericks, I'd have ZERO posts. Apple does not respond to user complaints despite repeated attempts. Again, Mavericks sucks and I would suggest anyone take the risk.

Mavericks does not suck. Not one of my OS upgrades have gone bad. Never. Many others say the same thing.

Common sense: The facts are simple. USER Error, in many cases. Leave the OS alone, stop screwing with it. Do a clean install, and stop messing with the OS thinking its a OS for a PC. Install software/hardware that is more current as well. Enjoy your computer with programs that are meant for the Apple OS, stop making changes in terminal. End of rant. :p

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
but, it is quite funny on this forum to see the typical user defense of an obviously inferior release as compared to older OSes released by Apple. To me Mavericks is as bad as Windows Vista. It was rushed, unpolished, filled with critical bugs, and has yet to be fixed in many areas (see: Mail.app).

Mavericks was the most stable .0 release of OS X i've used. I had significantly fewer issues even at DP4 when compared to the GM of ML.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
My late 2011 MBP used to get a lot slower when I use Parallels and Safari. I was thinking of putting some more RAM (I have 4GB). But after I upgraded to the Mavericks, the problem is completely gone and I hardly see a performance reduction anymore.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Mavericks was the most stable .0 release of OS X i've used. I had significantly fewer issues even at DP4 when compared to the GM of ML.

Stable and usable are two different things. Sure there are no kernel panics, but rudimentary OS X software isn't working properly in Mavericks.

And more importantly they removed a lot of usability features (.5 vol increase, Messages is completely gimpped for non-Apple iMessages compared to Lion/ML, etc.).

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Stable and usable are two different things. Sure there are no kernel panics, but rudimentary OS X software isn't working properly in Mavericks.

And more importantly they removed a lot of usability features (.5 vol increase, Messages is completely gimpped for non-Apple iMessages compared to Lion/ML, etc.).

Yea but every release of OS X "sucks".

The OS cycle of life continues... even that most deified of OS X versions was reviled at first:

Anyone else think Snow Leopard... sucks?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/766420/

History repeats itself... yet again: 10.6
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/766420/

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I just did a clean install recently and it restored some of my speed and battery life. I now get 6-7 hours besides 3-4hrs, and I have a 3+ year old MB.

Erkram3

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
my 2 cents

I'm running mavericks on a late 2008 alu macbook (before they were called macbook pro). Although I upgraded with an SSD, nothing else has been changed and mavericks runs fine and fast here.

Can I have a prize for being the 'antique's roadshow' of the thread? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.