Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the featured addition in yesterday's OS X 10.10.3 developer seed was the new Photos app, Apple is addressing other issues with the forthcoming update, and one of these focus areas is emoji, which is seeing several changes and improvements.

One immediately evident change is the menu option used to bring up the character palette where emoji and other symbols can be browsed and selected. The Character palette a is systemwide option generally accessed through the "Edit" menu in most Mac apps. On OS X 10.10.2 and earlier, the menu item is called "Special Characters," while on OS X 10.10.3, it is labeled "Emoji & Symbols". The change offers a clearer description of what can be accessed through the menu item while specifically giving a strong visibility boost to emoji.

Another significant change for emoji in OS X 10.10.3 is the apparent laying of groundwork to support skin tone modifiers proposed for the Unicode 8.0 standard. Apple noted almost a year ago that it was working with the Unicode Consortium to bring more diversity to emoji, and the proposed skin tone modifiers are a significant step in that direction. OS X 10.10.3 also appears to include a number of placeholders for new emoji in the character palette, but no images or descriptions have yet been added for these entries.

emoji_placeholders.jpg
Character palette showing placeholders for new emoji and an arrow on the "Man" emoji to provide access to skin tone options
The skin tone modifier proposal would apply to certain skin-colored emoji, allowing users to select from a range of skin tones to best represent the message they wish to send via emoji. As can be seen in OS X 10.10.3, many of these skin-colored emoji now display an arrow that when clicked brings up a menu of options.

emoji_skin_tone_man.jpg
Apparent incomplete implementation of skin tone modifier options for the "Man" emoji
While the menu is currently non-functional, it does show the selected emoji followed by five instances of the emoji paired with a number one inside a black box. These are presumably incomplete implementations of skin tone modifiers, waiting for the Unicode Consortium to finalize its standards for Unicode 8.0. Just yesterday, the Unicode Technical Committee officially moved the technical report covering skin tone modifiers and other emoji changes for Unicode 8.0 to draft status, and Unicode 8.0 itself has been approved for beta release.

In one other change for emoji in OS X 10.10.3, the pop-up emoji picker available in many apps has been transitioned from a paginated layout to a single larger vertical-scrolling page. Under OS X 10.10.2 and earlier, the various emoji categories are contained on separate pages within the picker, with users needing to click on a toolbar along the bottom to change pages.

emoji_pickers.jpg
Emoji picker in OS X 10.10.2 (left) with paginated categories vs. OS X 10.10.3 (right) with single scrollable page and category jumps
In OS X 10.10.3, all emoji are displayed on a single page, and while they are still organized by category and users can still click toolbar buttons to quickly jump between categories, users can now also simply scroll the entire list if they wish.

All of these changes come as emoji have exploded in popularity, spreading beyond their origin in Japan to be embraced worldwide as a quick, fun, and easy way to share a variety of emotions and thoughts, most commonly within messaging apps. As a result, Apple has been working to increase support for emoji across iOS and OS X, and this first OS X 10.10.3 developer build is a clear sign of that continued interest.

(Thanks, Sachin!)

Article Link: OS X 10.10.3 Puts More Focus on Emoji, Lays Groundwork for Skin Tone Modifiers

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Really? Above all else, this takes precedence? I didn't even think emoji were supposed to look like real people, hints the unrealistic yellow skin and missing nose.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Finally MacRumors shows the skin tone modifiers are for the people emoji. The last article on this was ridiculously bad because it made it seem like the tone modifiers were for the yellow smiley faces.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Really? Above all else, this takes precedence? I didn't even think emoji were supposed to look like real people, hints the unrealistic yellow skin and missing nose.

The skin tone modifiers aren't for the the yellow emoji. They are for the people emoji. The ones that look like real people but only include caucasian looking people.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

Yep. Only thing they're working on.

rkilcoyne

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2003
REALLY‽ How about Vid Driver issues‽

How about video driver issues on retina macbook pros? I've had more lockups since Fall than I've had in the previous 10 years! And while they're at it, instead of screwing around with goofy emojis, how about fixing the absolutely horrendous calculator app‽ It's really an embarrassment -- the window controls don't even line up and C/AC don't work right!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Finally MacRumors shows the skin tone modifiers are for the people emoji. The last article on this was ridiculously bad because it made it seem like the tone modifiers were for the yellow smiley faces.

Actually, the yellow emoji are included in the proposal as optionally supported. The skin-colored emoji with faces would be mandatory. 10.10.3 currently only "supports" it on skin-colored ones.

Table of skin-tone support

Edit: I take that back. OS X 10.10.3 does also support it on the skin-colored optional ones.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why? :apple: Why?

It makes some people happy. If you think people shouldn't support different skin tones, maybe they can change the people emojis to black for two years, then we get Chinese ones for two years, followed by Indian looking emojis. Would you prefer that?

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Yes, me too thinks that it is utterly important to focus on world-moving issues like the "skin tone modifiers", have committees sit together and debate for days, weeks and months!

I mean, who are we to expect bug fixes and essential features for a modern operating system such as an up-to-date file system, OpenGL 4.5 support, reliably working networking (autofs mounted net shares still fail me every then and when, even with AFP etc.: "No data to read from socket" or the like).

cunninglinguist

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
La Mesa, California
Glad to see Apple putting time and effort into the truly important features of an operating system. :rolleyes:

Seriously folks, if you were on the fence about switching to a different OS because of Apple's long string of debacles over the past few years, this should be your "table flip, exit stage left" moment.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
And the WiFi on my iMac still takes 3 or 4 attempts to get to work - yeah, Apple's really lighting it up with their priorities.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The skin tone modifiers aren't for the the yellow emoji. They are for the people emoji. The ones that look like real people but only include caucasian looking people.

Ah, I wasn't aware of realistic looking emoji. I never use them and only see the yellow faces used by others.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One immediately evident change is the menu option used to bring up the character palette where emoji and other symbols can be browsed and selected. The Character palette a is systemwide option generally accessed through the "Edit" menu in most Mac apps. On OS X 10.10.2 and earlier, the menu item is called "Special Characters," while on OS X 10.10.3, it is labeled "Emoji & Symbols". The change offers a clearer description of what can be accessed through the menu item while specifically giving a strong visibility boost to emoji.

I was not even aware of the "Special Characters..." menu item. Completely missed it until now. I always accessed this window through the Keyboard menu extra (which you need to turn on). I access and use emojis on a near-daily basis because they are a great and fun way to express emotion rather than the plain-text smileys. I just wish the window appears more quickly... there's a very noticeable delay in it appearing, which is annoying.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
It makes some people happy. If you think people shouldn't support different skin tones, maybe they can change the people emojis to black for two years, then we get Chinese ones for two years, followed by Indian looking emojis. Would you prefer that?

I wouldn't give a rat's ass!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
How about video driver issues on retina macbook pros? I've had more lockups since Fall than I've had in the previous 10 years! And while they're at it, instead of screwing around with goofy emojis, how about fixing the absolutely horrendous calculator app‽ It's really an embarrassment -- the window controls don't even line up and C/AC don't work right!

What is up with some of you people here. The article is talking about an Emoji upgrade. What makes you think Apple isn't working on fixing other things....and to be honest, this past update fixed quite a few bugs and Yosemite is running excellent for me and I use my Macs to run my business. A valium or camomile tea can be your friend greatly. :p

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

It just shows you what the priorities are at Apple unfortunately.
:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.