Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Still, to most people who use OSX Use it as they don't understand computers as well and don't care about its model number. To them 10.10 will look like 10.1 and people will google that and see the old OSX not the new. Apple put in their 30 years mac ad that it's used because it uses the same language as humans. - imagine going into apple store and saying what operating system does this run and getting back "10.10 sir - the latest and greatest!" People will already lose interest as most people in school got taught of 0.8 0.9 1.0 1.1 and so on and not how developers number things! I can tell you now that OS10.10 seems to be too complex but OS10.9 doesn't!
Most people will not see the version number at all… Apple doesn't really use it in mainstream marketing. Look at the Apple.com page and Mac App Store. It's only OS X Mavericks. The version number 10.9 and 10.9.1 is only shown in the sidebar, in footnotes, release notes, tech specs and in other places people don't look.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Even in software versions, 11.0 comes after 10.9

Keep in mind, OS X (10.0) came after Mac OS 9. Apple has kept OS numbering consistent since Mac OS 1.0 in 1984... Why stop now?

And in software versions, 10.10, 10.11 can come after 10.9 too.

Tenth release of OS10.

I don't understand why people keep on having problems with this after they have been informed that the '.' is not a decimal point.

Look at the versioning of 1Password 3.

The last was 3.8.21.
https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac/release_notes

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Didn't Apple say Mavericks and iOS 7 would have cross-platform AirDrop support?

Yeah, that really seems like a no-brainer, and if part of Apple’s strategy is the hardware “ecosystem”, give us another reason to own a Mac with an iOS device.

When will people learn that version numbers are not decimal numbers.

Well, if they read this whole thread, they’ll get like 100+ posts clarifying how it works :D

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
C'mon. 10.10? Isn't time to (in the words of Spinal Tap), pump this OS "up to 11?"

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Still, to most people who use OSX Use it as they don't understand computers as well and don't care about its model number. To them 10.10 will look like 10.1 and people will google that and see the old OSX not the new.

Most people who don't understand computers, don't know what version of OS X they have, so I don't see a problem here.

Apple advertises 'OS X Lion', 'OS X Mountain Lion', 'OS X Mavericks', but really doesn't specify the sub-version that prominently. Most people who don't understand computers will never look in system settings to see what their computer has anyways.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
i said that before and i'll say it again, please no transparent/translucent/blurry UI.
they never worked, they're just confusing.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
it is. after 99.9%, you increment up to 100%, not 99.10%...because that's 99.1%, which is lower than 100%. 99.09% increments up to 99.1%.

Yes but software version aren't the same as real numbers! It doesn't have to go 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 11. It can run for as many 10.x versions as they want.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Still, to most people who use OSX Use it as they don't understand computers as well and don't care about its model number. To them 10.10 will look like 10.1 and people will google that and see the old OSX not the new.

I personally give users a bit more credit than that. If a user cares enough about the OS X version number, they will probably be fully aware that 10.1 is not 10.10. And those who don't have the wherewithal to know this, probably don't know or care what version they're using anyway.

And if there are truly, truly clueless people out there, who not only don't know the difference but are unable to comprehend what every article and web page result tells them about 10.1 (namely: it's old and not available anymore) the good news is, 10.1 isn't available on the App store, isn't available on media that will load on most currently-sold Macs without additional hardware, and even if they did
obtain a 10.1 CD and bought an external optical drive to install it (all without asking anyone why this process is so darned hard for a machine that "just works"), it won't boot or install on any Mac made in the last 8 years anyway.

And then at that point, they might get really frustrated and return the Mac and go back to a windows computer... and if such a truly clueless person actually, really exists, then maybe it's a good thing that they do exactly that.

Apple put in their 30 years mac ad that it's used because it uses the same language as humans. - imagine going into apple store and saying what operating system does this run and getting back "10.10 sir - the latest and greatest!"

Which isn't going to happen. Ask an Apple store rep what current Macs use, and they will say "OS Ten," or "OS Ten Mavericks" or "Mavericks." They aren't going to complicate things, because they are trained not to.

People will already lose interest as most people in school got taught of 0.8 0.9 1.0 1.1 and so on and not how developers number things! I can tell you now that OS10.10 seems to be too complex but OS10.9 doesn't!

If someone at the Apple store actually says "ten point ten" to a user, their poor little head isn't going to explode. And I doubt a number scheme that isn't perfectly mathematically grammatical to them is going to cause their poor boggled minds to reject this topsy-turvy Apple wonderland where up is down, and not get a Mac because of a number scheme. It's not the fiasco you're making it out to be.

Your argument is a lot like saying people will reject Android because they name their releases according to dessert treats. "What?! You mean my Samsung Galaxy S4 doesn't come with a lifetime supply of Jelly Beans, even though the Operating System version is called 'Jelly Bean?' Balderdash! I'm going to get a Blackberry!"

In no universe is this going to happen. :rolleyes:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I hope they make it exactly like iOS 7 for continuity's sake. Why go in these incremental steps when it's obvious that they will eventually shift to iOS' look entirely?

they are different environments.. in osx, you'll have windows on top of windows etc so they can't just flatten out the look without keeping some sort of visual cue as to the separation of different layers.. they could change the look, sure, but can't just make everything on a users screen appear as if it's one window.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
XCode 4 looks better and is better. XCode 5 has really poor visual hierarchy and poor affordance. Really unfortunate path apple is walking.

We can already see some direction to this in XCode 5.

XCode 4 looks better IMO.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Then why is it called 10 point something?

Surely the correct way should be 10 dot 9 etc?

You can say it either way. It's still not a decimal.

I still can't believe this stupid argument about decimals still comes up all the time here.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Whenever I see 10.10 I cringe, 10.10=10.1

don't look at this - your head might explode :)

skindigo.png

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
iOS7 made the iPhone look fresh again*.
If the same could be done to OS X, I'd like it. But please go all the way.

(*Yes, some of the functionality got worse, but let's save that for a different thread — and hope the same won't happen to OS X).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.