OS X 10.10 Yosemite: All The Little Things

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by WhackyNinja, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

So Safari 9 is coming to Yosemite.
    Ok, my bad. Excuse me.

2. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

Hi,,
    i got one question,,
    i've already run Yosemite and, for me, he had run very good, however, i had a friend, with recent MBP ( he got 2 graphics cards, intel and Nvidia ) and the issue is that the MBP crashes,,i think is Yosemite don't don't manage correctly this,, anyone of you can give me some tips to solve this.
    Peace. thanks in advance.

3. Rocketman, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Today Intel and Micron announced a new style of non-volatile memory that is 1000x faster and 10x denser. They expect production samples to be available to top tier users in a bit over a year.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2951...y-type-thats-1000-times-faster-than-nand.html

It uses NVMe as the logical interface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

In the 10.10.3 update for OS X Yosemite, Apple introduced support for NVM Express. The new Retina MacBook uses NVMe as the logical device interface.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/11/nvme-mac-os-x/

No wonder China (the country) tried to buy Micron last week.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...roup-said-to-plan-23-billion-offer-for-micron

Rocketman

MacPro R2D2 Gen 2 will scream.

Mac-Pro-2013-R2D2-skins.jpg

4. Tech198 macrumors G5

Will Apple mail ever respect app specific passwords ?

I think the the way how u can sign in to Google directly from mail has allot to do with this.

Sometimes when closing mail (most times it happens, but could also happen anytime when attempting to check via IMAP) the user receives a notification on the Mac propt to "Enter password", if u dismiss it, Mail is fine... BUt i wonder if the reason this comes up is maybe although the app specific passwords are in mail, but are not in inernet accounts ? something when using adding a "google" account does ? I dunno, but i prefer setting up IMAP account and filling in Google details.. I keep my the same app password, so why would i need to login ?

I sure hope Apple fixes this, cos it driving my nuts just seeing this.

5. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Mail supports google two factors authentication, there is no need for an app specific password anymore.

6. Tech198 macrumors G5

no chance....

I forgot all details to my Google account, so app passwords are my life-line

In addition. has anyone notice Apple no longer color codes battery 10% or less ? it changed to 'red' before to visually indicate u were running low on power..

now its the same color black as the rest. I often wonder how much of this is feedback based on users and how much its just "Apple wants to do this"

I do not believe any user would say "I do not like the visual indication letting you know something is going to happen" That's what its there for. and if Apple changed it, its NOT because of feedback..

Just curious on the amount of actual tell-tales Apple tells customers about. I'm sure feedback is not the only thing Apple listens to..

7. Tech198 macrumors G5

Good program :D

I doubt Apple will update Yosemite with small issues now OS X 10.11 is out, but icon thumbnails not always displaying until u "force quit" finder.. its rather annoying when it happens.

8. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

If they don't bother making their latest Magic Mouse compatible with anything but the latest OS X version, take a guess how much they care about the versions prior to a "free upgrade".

Glassed Silver:mac

9. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

How does Yosemite 10.10.5 stand against El Capitan? I've got a 2011 MacBook Pro from work and I'm getting it upgraded to any OS of my choice; I'm coming from 10.7.5 (it's terrible).

My main concern is stability and RAM. I multitask a lot as I fill the job of about 3 people and even with 16gb of RAM I'm maxing out.

The main reason why I'm contemplating between Yosemite and El Capitan is SIP, or essentially, the inability to run XtraFinder or TotalFinder, primarily the cut/paste function of files. I could get around this by using BetterTouchTool with some extra alternate commands in place of cmd+c (copy) as cmd+x and cmd+alt+v (paste/move) as cmd+v, but it doesn't fade out the files/folders that have been 'cut'.

Otherwise, I'm ok with mostly everything else depsite other limitations (Apple's really gone way downhill with choice).

Thoughts?

10. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

SIP can be turned off (which is what I did), otherwise mostly ever since the yearly upgrade path has been in place it doesn't really matter too much anymore.
    You might want to give it a try by installing El Cap on a USB stick and check your software for compatibility etc that way.
    If anything you hear a lot about how Mavericks runs best for some, for some it's Yosemite, but the last fairly undoubted stable major version that just seemed to please "everyone" well has been Snow Leopard.
    10.7 is a terrible joke of an OS release, in my eyes very symbolic for what happened after that.

Glassed Silver:mac

11. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Yeah I get a similar feeling. Yosemite has been great on my Hackintosh (10.10.4 though) my only issue with it is XtraFinder doesn't jive so well with it, but TotalFinder runs perfect. I've had uptimes of a few weeks without any issues at all.

I tried installing El Capitan on my personal MacBook Pro on a test partition. I turned off SIP and XtraFinder's cut/paste of files still didn't work. I tried TotalFinder as well and still no luck. Other features did work though.

12. ManMor macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a problem with my new Yosemite. At each startup throws icons on both monitors (illogically) - it makes chaos in icons and define the main screen. You do not know what to do?

13. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

that's no issue of Yosemite, there's some specific "recent" MBP that had a Hardware problem, mostly MBP and some Air i think,, the main reason in fact is a problem with the graphics card. Until now, i've tried all Operating systems of Apple; and honestly i hate El Capitan, Yosemite is no more available on Apple Store, however, i still use it,,and for me Yosemite is far more better than El Capitan, that get my MacBook serious issues, like crashes and " shutdown " , with a kernel panic, never happen before, only with my Pc Builds, never with a Mac,,

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

my only issue with El cap, is the removal of secure delete, so i clean installed Yosemite again.. (that is wipe the drive and clean installed via usb)

Plus, there is noting in 10.11.x that interests me.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.