Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
getElementsByClassName is typically implemented by whatever javascript library you're using (Prototype, etc). Having a native implementation simply makes it faster for Safari users, it will still work fine for other browsers that don't have a native implementation.

I understand that there have been javascript functions that basically do getElementsByClassName (heck, I've written them myself); but native implementations of that sort of thing are just so bloody much faster than javascript kludges - especially for very large pages, which is precisely where I'd find this useful.

I've never seen the point in using someone else's canned javascript library; but then I've been doing this since before such a beast existed so maybe I'm just stubborn. :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Is that "upgrading" as in Over-the-top of Tiger, or upgrading as in "I blew Tiger away and put Leopard on a fresh disk?".

I just have to laugh when I see comments like this and comments like "It just works" in the forum.

It seems like Windows is improving and OSX is growing warts - pretty soon there won't be much difference ;) ...

10.5.2 will (should) be flawless, pristine, exemplary, and second to none.

Again, Aiden knows sarcasm when he sees it... :D

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So 10.6 is about 2 years out right? When do you think we will start hearing rumors or anything about it and it's features etc? I know it is crazy cause Leopard just came out lol. I'm just curious about how far before the release things start to get out.

What would people like to see in 10.6? Any ideas, innovations, etc? I'm guessing more Multi-Touch. I think they are dripping that all in now to get people ready with the laptops. And I suspect we will see a new Multi-Touch mouse for the desktops to gain these new features that the laptops are getting :)

Maybe I was dreaming but I swear Steve announced that they'd be previewing 10.6 Puma at this years WWDC. I'm pretty sure when he finished talking about Leopard at WWDC 07 he announced this.

Am I senile?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yeah, Windows is improving so much, that virtually everyone I know who initially installed Vista is back to SP2.

We both must hang out with luddites, most of my Apple-using friends who've tried Leopard went back to Tiger.

How Apple could have let the WiFi connection problems out to its customers amazes me....

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
We both must hang out with luddites, most of my Apple-using friends who've tried Leopard went back to Tiger.

How Apple could have let the WiFi connection problems out to its customers amazes me....
I'm confused, I own 7 macs of all varieties from my dual G5s to my MBPs (one power PC one intel) and a couple of iMacs. I installed Leopard on all (except my Protools G5, digidesign dropped the ball on the core audio drivers) and I am on a wireless network at home and at work and everything runs fine. I have a hard time believing the posts that complain... Am I just unusually lucky or are the posters with bad experiences very unlucky or worse?
In my business if you can't repeat a suspected software problem on all similar hardware
then you have just ruled out the software.

burgen

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
I hope they really fix the tab managing of safari. Open targe=_blank links in Tabs already

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm confused, I own 7 macs of all varieties from my dual G5s to my MBPs (one power PC one intel) and a couple of iMacs. I installed Leopard on all (except my Protools G5, digidesign dropped the ball on the core audio drivers) and I am on a wireless network at home and at work and everything runs fine. I have a hard time believing the posts that complain...

Ignorant poster is ignorant.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Safari has been getting snappier with every iteration since it was a beta at .7

The speed is getting a little overwhelming. Perhaps the latest version will allow me to catch my breath.

Ahhh, come on, you have to be joking. Safari is one of the worst browsers out there. It crashes regularly. It can't render many sites properly. It also is querky in the way it renders a page. The dimensions keep changing and gui elements move around until the page is fully rendered.

By contrast, firefox on the mac, and IE on windows are both faster. Rendered pages are mapped out first and then gui elements are rendered but they don't constantly resize while rendering. They also handle more websites correctly and play more embedded video / audio.

Apple has fallen behind in the browser area. I for one would like to see a complete re-make of safari with a user friendly Apple flair.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
God, I hope they fix the Firewall! If I put the setting to "allow essential services", iPhoto finally opens up without asking me to Allow/Deny connections and requiring the admin userid/passwd EVERY TIME! But, then AppleTV doesn't work.

I go back to the Allow Specific Apps choice and AppleTV works, but then iPhoto goes back to hassling me all the time (even though it is in the approved list!)

I just discovered this tonight. . . I may just file a bug report.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Ahhh, come on, you have to be joking. Safari is one of the worst browsers out there. It crashes regularly. It can't render many sites properly.

Safari seems to be one of those things that's highly variable from machine to machine. I've had leopard for a couple of months and it hasn't crashed even once. And I use it quite heavily and I use many of its fancy new features too. Also, since upgrading to leopard I haven't encountered any websites that render improperly. I wonder if there's a way to improve safari's behavior on your machine. I assume you've already tried all the basic tricks like trashing prefs and doing a clean OS install instead of an upgrade install.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
It seems like "issues" will be continuing to roll in forever -- at what point does Apple say, "okay, the next issue that comes up will have to wait until 10.5.3" ?

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Safari seems to be one of those things that's highly variable from machine to machine. I've had leopard for a couple of months and it hasn't crashed even once. And I use it quite heavily and I use many of its fancy new features too. Also, since upgrading to leopard I haven't encountered any websites that render improperly. I wonder if there's a way to improve safari's behavior on your machine. I assume you've already tried all the basic tricks like trashing prefs and doing a clean OS install instead of an upgrade install.

I see the same basic performance on different machines that I own. Some were upgraded, some were clean installed, that doesn't seem to make a difference. What seems to make the difference are the websites that one visits. Some sites are fine some are not.

However the constantly changing page dimensions that annoy me to no end is always an issue on large pages. It has to do with the way Apple chose to render a page. Also the reload and stop button is a joke. It won't let you stop rendering a page until the page is complete, so what is the point.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Yes, you are

Maybe I was dreaming but I swear Steve announced that they'd be previewing 10.6 Puma at this years WWDC. I'm pretty sure when he finished talking about Leopard at WWDC 07 he announced this.

Am I senile?

10.0 - Cheetah
10.1 - Puma
10.2 - Jaguar
10.3 - Panther
10.4 - Tiger
10.5 - Leopard

Been there, done that Cat. Sorry.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006

Am I senile?

Are you being serious? I don't think so lol. As far as I know NOTHING has been said anywhere about 10.6 or if it will even be 10.6 or OS 11 or what. I would think they would stick with 10.6 just because they have such a strong brand going with OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.