Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Bingo!

There is no way they can go from charging $129 for 300+ new features to $129 for 10+ new features.

Personally, after defending the $129 for 300 "features" I am not sure I can defend "stability" for $129.

BZ

Perhaps you should wait for a price to be announced next year before deciding if you can defend it.

(from macnotes.de)
it seems that they are replacing aqua.

That alone would be worth the upgrade fee.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
We have to keep in mind that this was a developers conference and an announcement of an OS that is a year away. It would make sense to preview features that are of importance to developers now, and then preview new user features at the next MacWorld, for example.

Showing the developer tools now could give us a glimpse of features that Apple's programmers might come up with to include in the OS, though.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
i'll pay for it, the speed increase is always worth it:) but that said, a lot of non-power users won't see the value in a new operating system that doesn't add any 'features'

i'm expecting at least 10-20% speed bump across the board, and that makes it cheap at $129

But fixing "issues" that cause the system to be slower should be fixed by apple in a update not in making people pay again, for the same OS with under the hood improvements.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
But fixing "issues" that cause the system to be slower should be fixed by apple in a update not in making people pay again, for the same OS with under the hood improvements.

I noticed you have a Core 2 Duo..If it weren't for the transition which needed Rosetta you wouldn't even have Leopard or an Intel machine. This isn't an "issue" upgrade.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
THIS IS SHEAR INSANITY.

I just bought Leopard, and now they have Snow Leopard out. Boy am I going to rant. Let me pick some facts that aren't real. I will not pay Apple $499 for this "minor update". If there isn't some new ridiculous Core Animation like water freezing and cracking into frosty ice, then count me out, damnit. I do not know what a Service Pack is, but I think Apple should be doing that instead. Why? Because that sounds cheaper to me and doesnt negate that I had to pay for this install. Apple, you're off your rocker if you think I will pay $499 for this "new OS". Everyone vote negative, Apple needs to listen. I will only pay $20 if and when there is a Service Pack update with new Core Animation only, thank you.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't see why people are pushing for PPC being dropped. It's still way, way too soon. The last Powermac G5 towers are far more than just capable of running Leopard, they run it excellently and with no signs of stress whatsoever. Hell, even my aging 2nd-gen 2Ghz iMac G5 still runs Leopard beautifully. Dropping PPC support at this point is more than a little silly.

I don't see it happening for Snow Leopard/10.6. 10.7? Sure... but 10.6 is far too soon. At most, G4s are all that will be dropped.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
THIS IS SHEAR INSANITY.

I just bought Leopard, and now they have Snow Leopard out. Boy am I going to rant. Let me pick some facts that aren't real. I will not pay Apple $499 for this "minor update". If there isn't some new ridiculous Core Animation like water freezing and cracking into frosty ice, then count me out, damnit. I do not know what a Service Pack is, but I think Apple should be doing that instead. Why? Because that sounds cheaper to me and doesnt negate that I had to pay for this install. Apple, you're off your rocker if you think I will pay $499 for this "new OS". Everyone vote negative, Apple needs to listen. I will only pay $20 if and when there is a Service Pack update with new Core Animation only, thank you.

I agree with him! When, oh when will Apple learn?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
THIS IS SHEAR INSANITY.

(rant)

Brilliant!

Today has amused me, after years (literally, years) of unqualified people complaining about 'bloat' in iterations of OS X, we now have people saying "What? Remove the bloat? NO! I WANT NEW FEATURES DAMNIT!'

:rolleyes:

AppleMatt

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
THIS IS SHEAR INSANITY.

Umm, what the hell? Where on earth did you pull the $499 figure from? If you paid that much for Leopard, congratulations, you've been royally ripped off.

And something that people don't seem to get is that with Snow Leopard, Apple is doing a deep cleaning and optimization of the operating system that's far, far, far deeper than anything a measly downloadable service pack would be able to accomplish. There will be huge, radical under the hood changes. This is NOT equal with a service pack or 10.5.x release.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
THIS IS SHEAR INSANITY.

haha, nice :D

Umm, what the hell? Where on earth did you pull the $499 figure from? If you paid that much for Leopard, congratulations, you've been royally ripped off.

And something that people don't seem to get is that with Snow Leopard, Apple is doing a deep cleaning and optimization of the operating system that's far, far, far deeper than anything a measly downloadable service pack would be able to accomplish. There will be huge, radical under the hood changes. This is NOT equal with a service pack or 10.5.x release.

You might want to read his post again.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Thanks, but does it work in Leopard? and are there any known issues with it interfering with Pro Apps?

Try Xslimmer. It strips unnecessary code and has a genie to locate all strippable applications. It has this feature for such an event as a conflict with certain apps:

"Automated Blacklist
To avoid unnecessary headaches Xslimmer uses a downloadable blacklist, which tracks apps that do not allow themselves to be modified - to prevent piracy, usually. Blacklisted apps will be ignored, and the list will be automatically updated as new troublesome apps are discovered."

It also gives you the option of making an automatic backup of your app before slimming it down. In case it won't work anymore, you have the backup. If it does work, just trash the backup. I haven't needed the backup yet.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I noticed you have a Core 2 Duo..If it weren't for the transition which needed Rosetta you wouldn't even have Leopard or an Intel machine. This isn't an "issue" upgrade.

More like the anti-bloatware edition.

A release concentrating on cleaning up the OS and all the legacy stuff up.

Sort of interesting that it'll offer a lot more under the hood and a performance boost while streamlining the footprint in memory and on the drive.

---

Not really something you will need, but something Apple needed to do to move forward with OS X 10.7 after that.

Sucks that it might only come with 25-50 snazzy new GUI updates (those additional unlisted features that Apple tends to sneak in.)

But if it comes with an additional 10-25% boost in performance in quite a bit of the OS, while adding features that Pro app developers need ASAP to add the speed boost to their apps.

Something you can skip without guilt if you don't need HD space and a performance boost, since most apps won't require 10.6 until 10.7 ships.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
THIS IS SPARTA.

Fixed that for you ;):D

I think there is more to this than they are letting on and we will see sneaky peeks along the way. If it stablises OSX to pre Intel switch the that is good because OSX ppc was rock solid (Panther and Tiger).

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
13. Will they make it boot able from a ZFS volume?

The Server version of 10.6 supports ZFS. The page for the standard version does not say anything about ZFS.

"ZFS
For business-critical server deployments, Snow Leopard Server adds read and write support for the high-performance, 128-bit ZFS file system, which includes advanced features such as storage pooling, data redundancy, automatic error correction, dynamic volume expansion, and snapshots."

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
According to someone at WWDC, Snow Leopard does not currently support PowerPC - it KP's on attempting to boot the DVD. That said, this may change.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
No, this is OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The SHEAR INSANITY begins upon release of OS X 10.7 Sheep.

I envisioned that clip from "Lisa's a Vegetarian" where they were watching the informational movie on eating meat. A hawk swoops down and carries away a large sheep to demonstrate the food chain.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple are claiming it is a lot more efficient than 10.5, so it would be good if we could see how much mem is in use at end of startup (for example).

Memory usage would not tell you much, for example an efficient OS might find some way to put every last byte of RAM to use rather then leting some of it remain un-used.

Some times performance tuning is counter productive. For example I tell people that the goal of tunning a database server to to get the CPU usage up near 100%. Anything less means the CPU is waiting on some other resourse like the disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.