Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
Tabbed browsing in finder. Thank you!

I tried using TotalFinder but it would freeze and had all kinds of issues and would occasionally crash.

EDIT: Good to hear about Safari too. I already prefer Safari over the competition so I have no real complaints but improvements don't hurt.

I'm amused at some of the "wowing" & "about time" comments, when Xtrafinder has been here for a long time, increasing my productivity & efficiency on 10.6.8 considerably (I am a pro photog; am waiting for some serious issues on 10.7/8 to be worked out).

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I really hope that multi-tasking is fixed; I hate it when Finder hangs because the foreground Window has hung. That is so 90s.

Windows 7 / 8 Explorer.exe rarely hang as much as Finder does with a mis-behaving app these days.

This seems to be a dot release, i.e. minor update as opposed to a new, named OS (whatever cat they will use this time). I'm a little dissapointed.:mad:

I'm all for progress, but I can't help feeling that one of the biggest enhancements in 10.9 would be having the option to run PPC software again. All recent versions of Windows have a very useful "compatibility mode" for older software. Why can't OS X?

As for names: they say a cat has 9 lives. As OS X 10.0 Cheetah was the first, 10.8 Mountain Lion the 9th, maybe it's time for something different? :rolleyes:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'm all for progress, but I can't help feeling that one of the biggest enhancements in 10.9 would be having the option to run PPC software again. All recent versions of Windows have a very useful "compatibility mode" for older software. Why can't OS X?

Rosetta was licensed software and the license ran out. Backwards compatibility has been a major problem for Microsoft. Their OSes would be a lot cleaner if it weren't for that, and compatibility mode doesn't always work.

I must admit that I occasionally run old DOS programs on my PC. Luckily I got into the Mac recent enough that I never had an OS 9 or earlier program and all of my OS X PPC programs were supported and revised for Intel.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Why couldn't they use FreeBSD's version? I'm to understand it used an earlier licence version to bypass the restrictions making it unfeasible use outside of Oracle.

I didn't know about the freebsd thing. I don't really know much about licensing, maybe that change would make it easier for Apple to adopt, but at this point my guess would be that an in house solution is more likely. I don't really care either way, they just need to do something, particularly with checksumming and error correction.

Rosetta was licensed software and the license ran out. Backwards compatibility has been a major problem for Microsoft. Their OSes would be a lot cleaner if it weren't for that, and compatibility mode doesn't always work.

I must admit that I occasionally run old DOS programs on my PC. Luckily I got into the Mac recent enough that I never had an OS 9 or earlier program and all of my OS X PPC programs were supported and revised for Intel.

Keeping backward compatibility may be a problem (I doubt it's been a "major" one) for Microsoft, but it's also a key consideration for many PC users when they upgrade to the newest version of Windows. Also, IMO, it hasn't stopped successive versions of Windows generally improving on the former. Apple could learn from this.

Purely from commercial interest, it's probably more important for Microsoft to maintain compatibility mode, regardless of any issues. Not least as they're heavily reliant on generating maximum sales of every new Windows release & PC users, generally, have much more choice.

Otherwise, what's stopping even more PC users simply not upgrading their Windows, or else using an older version when they buy a new PC?

FWIW, if I could have downgraded from Lion to Snow Leopard when I bought a new Mac in 2011, without any hassle, I'd have done so immediately.

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Purely from commercial interest, it's probably more important for Microsoft to maintain compatibility mode, regardless of any issues. Not least as they're heavily reliant on generating maximum sales of every new Windows release & PC users, generally, have much more choice.

Certainly! Apple's closed system allows them to force upgrades. Microsoft has no such luxury! At work we are finally moving from XP to 7 later this year, and even then it is with reluctance. I still run a Windows 2000 virtual machine for some old programs for which reinstalling would be messy or perhaps impossible. And there is incredible backlash against Windows 8 and 7 is still readily available for purchase even on new machines.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why couldn't they use FreeBSD's version? I'm to understand it used an earlier licence version to bypass the restrictions making it unfeasible use outside of Oracle.

ZFS equivalent and tagging would be monumental!

Problems:

1. There are patents.
2. The technology is owned by Oracle, who just sued Google about Oracle-owned technology.
3. It's probably not compatible with technologies like Fusion, Apple's full-disk encryption technology, Time Machine.
4. If anything goes wrong, this could be a total disaster.
5. It takes lots of man power.

Benefits: So how many more Macs is Apple going to sell because of this technology?

----------

Sounds like they probably programmed it wrong. That's exactly the sort of thing that should keep going in the background.

On MacOS X, unlike iOS, there's an additional distinction between "going to the background" and "being invisible". In iOS, background apps are invisible. On MacOS X, they _can_ be invisible but aren't necessarily. The sports tracker should keep tracking while it's visible, but should stop when it's invisible, for example because you use a fullscreen app on the only screen.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Benefits: So how many more Macs is Apple going to sell because of this technology?

If Apple creates their own solution comparable to ZFS, it should be more reliable than HFS+ and there's no reason they couldn't get fusion working with it. I think people have ZFS/fusion combos working already, and they are superior to doing it with HFS.

Taking work to do and having risk that there might be bugs are issues with any software, if those were the only considerations nothing would ever get improved.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
If Apple creates their own solution comparable to ZFS, it should be more reliable than HFS+ and there's no reason they couldn't get fusion working with it. I think people have ZFS/fusion combos working already, and they are superior to doing it with HFS.

I don't doubt that it works on a fusion volume (edit: or maybe it wont?), but it seems a bit odd since ZFS has it's own volume manager. Appart from that, Zevo seems to be the ZFS implementation to go for on OS X.

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I did read it the first time. The keyboard short cut for select all, does select all regardless if they are visible or not. Likewise, additional selection keeps the previously selected regardless if you scroll. What view are you using?

That's not a fix, that's a bad workaround, particularly when you want to select the last item on a list - we are talking about column view.

Certainly! Apple's closed system allows them to force upgrades. Microsoft has no such luxury! At work we are finally moving from XP to 7 later this year, and even then it is with reluctance. I still run a Windows 2000 virtual machine for some old programs for which reinstalling would be messy or perhaps impossible. And there is incredible backlash against Windows 8 and 7 is still readily available for purchase even on new machines.

True enough. However, a lot of negativity about Windows 8 seems to be down to unfamiliarity & some ignorance. FWIW, I've only used it for a few weeks. Its biggest initial drawback, the Metro interface on non-touch screens, actually has an easy enough workaround to revert back to a Windows 7 type start screen. Windows 8 Blue, out later this year (essentially a W8 SP1), should fix such issues. Overall though, W8 maintains excellent BC, boots faster, makes better use of hardware, etc. IMHO, it's a fine OS.

That said, I much prefer OS X. I do most of my serious work on my Mac because, generally, I tend to do things faster. But I think as time goes by, any "incredible backlash" against W8 will subside significantly.

Keep in mind that many PC users still even hate Windows 7 & swear that they'll stick with XP for as long as its feasible to do so. :rolleyes: Fact is, many people simply don't like change. Particularly if it means abandoning computer interfaces that they're long familiar with.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
That's not a fix, that's a bad workaround, particularly when you want to select the last item on a list - we are talking about column view.

Switch sort order. I do all my file selections from the keyboard, I don't see it as a workaround at all. Are you telling me that you can not scroll your list.

Anyhow, I just tried to offer a suggestion, clearly a mistake.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
I can, that's what I currently do, but I guess I didn't consider that "full screen mode".

Ok, can you or can you not do it. if you can, and it's what you currently do, what exactly are you expecting from the new version of the os to do differently?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, can you or can you not do it. if you can, and it's what you currently do, what exactly are you expecting from the new version of the os to do differently?

I guess I must be confused on what you're trying to get me to do. I apologize for my confusion.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Multiple monitor support is a must! However it seems like it should have been a 10.8.x bug fix not a 10.9 major feature.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
I guess I must be confused on what you're trying to get me to do. I apologize for my confusion.

Listen man it's a simple question: what usage scenario with multiple monitors are you after that is not currently available, as you said, on os x 10.8.3 but seems it will be on 10.9? It's a legit question I am asking. I 'll soon have a dual monitor scenario and I 'd like to be informed on what limitations there are currently. Is there any reason why you don't want to give a straight answer and you are acting like an 8 year old? :rolleyes:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Listen man it's a simple question: what usage scenario with multiple monitors are you after that is not currently available, as you said, on os x 10.8.3 but seems it will be on 10.9? It's a legit question I am asking. I 'll soon have a dual monitor scenario and I 'd like to be informed on what limitations there are currently. Is there any reason why you don't want to give a straight answer and you are acting like an 8 year old? :rolleyes:

I like (and almost need) to have one monitor dedicated to my code that I'm writing (applications like Eclipse, VisualStudio, etc.). On the secondary monitor I like to have reference code and chrome open to follow my assignments. When I enter full screen mode I get a gray color on the monitor that isn't expanded and I can no longer use the secondary monitor. I really don't think I'm acting like an eight year old, I was just thoroughly confused at what you were asking.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
I like (and almost need) to have one monitor dedicated to my code that I'm writing (applications like Eclipse, VisualStudio, etc.). On the secondary monitor I like to have reference code and chrome open to follow my assignments. When I enter full screen mode I get a gray color on the monitor that isn't expanded and I can no longer use the secondary monitor. I really don't think I'm acting like an eight year old, I was just thoroughly confused at what you were asking.

Ok, no worries, I misunderstood, thanks for explaining to me said limitation. :) That's one serious limitation, and I agree with your prior post when you required this to be fixed via an x.x update and not a new os x version.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, no worries, I misunderstood, thanks for explaining to me said limitation. :) That's one serious limitation, and I agree with your prior post when you required this to be fixed via an x.x update and not a new os x version.

It's all good buddy! Sorry again for the confusion!

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I try to give Apple the benefit of the doubt when most people bash the company, but I have to say, features like multi-monitor support for full screen applications should have been done right from the beginning, or at the very least made right in OS upgrades like Mountain Lion, when they had already had more than enough time to review customer complaints, analyze the technical aspects, and test any improvements. That being said, I'm looking forward to the new features described in the article.

That's like saying the airbags and computer skid control should have been in cars since the beginning in 1901.

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Background application pausing is nothing new. Games have always had it. You don't want the game to run without your input while you're focused on another application, and the computer doesn't want to render graphics without them being visible.

Such games can only be single-player, and the thing that's certain about them is that they're purely leisure applications. I don't know what serious programs could benefit from this feature, except for stuff like display output, which is an obvious thing to pause when not visible, and probably already implemented.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.