OS X Default in March

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
It's taken a lot longer than originally expected... but, according to The Register:

Phil Schiller, Apple's VP of worldwide marketing, has gone on the record to suggest March as the date when new Macs ship with OS X as default.

This will mark the final step in transition to OS X. Application developers will have even more incentive to push for native OS X support once this step is finally made. I only wish it could come sooner...

C

cmku

g5 in march

does this hint at a possible release date for the g5? or other new hardware(lcd imac)?

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Party!

This is fantastic news - and the Register proves once again to be a great source of Mac news.

For me, the point of no return in the transition from OS 9 to OS X was importing my mail into Entourage v.X - I can't access my mail in OS 9 anymore - and it feels good :)

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Re: g5 in march

Originally posted by cmku
does this hint at a possible release date for the g5? or other new hardware(lcd imac)?
I don't think so, software releases don't have to coincide with anything, and this isn't really a new software release per se, more of a standards announcement.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
hw/sw

I agree... I don't expect March to bring new Hardware.... this just corresponds to Jobs Clock-analogy... where the transition will be complete in March (back to 12 o'clock).

Major hw announcements will likely be expo-related, perusual.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
This must be the time line to get the final networking bugs worked out of OSX and for the major apps like Photoshop/FCP/Quarks/etc. to go fully OSX

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Quark will never make it

One look at Quark tells you this app is a dogs dinner of code dating back to the Turing machine. I think carbonising it will take longer than a complete rewrite (a Cocoa Quark would be interesting) and I'm not holding my breath to see it on OS X - think about it, they haven't yet been able to make the menus platinum in OS 9.

There will still be plenty of apps not Carbonised by March - I would be suprised to see Photoshop until next Summer.

B

Brent Turbo

A week.

I used OS X.1 for about one week. That's as long as I could stand it. Now I'm back in OS9, and applications are launching in zero bounces, my SCSI drive doesn't go to sleep every five minutes regardless of my power settings, and I can use applications that help me work and make money.

I think the transition period to OSX is going to either put Apple out of business, or put them back in their embryonic state of 1995, where they had to come back from the bottom (again). It's no secret that OSX isn't doing what Apple wanted it to, nor is it doing what users wanted it to. Behind all the marketing hype, it's just a shell that lets you run applications. Windows XP will not allow you to fly aroud like in the commercials, and OSX will not revolutionize the world. Both, however, will allow you to click on icons and launch applications.

It's also no secret that certain software companies are seeing OSX as a good way to make a clean break. Even our old pal Adobe had all but gone on the record as saying they were going to be extra-slow putting out OSX applications in the hopes of retarding its proliferation, or maybe even quashing it all together. AOL UK has totally pulled OSX support, and halted development on AOL for OSX eternally.

Add to that the fact that my once zippy G3 is now a slow-poke at every day tasks.... In short, I don't care if the whole OS stops and stands at attention when I have my mouse button down -- OS 9 is the real desktop revolution.

Now had Apple gone with a BeOS core instead of Mach, we wouldn't be here having this discussion.

W

Wise

OS X

OS X is the future. There is nothing better than a unix core. BeOS doesn't have the wisdom of unix. Unix will save Apple.

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
Re: Party!

Originally posted by Foocha
For me, the point of no return in the transition from OS 9 to OS X was importing my mail into Entourage v.X - I can't access my mail in OS 9 anymore - and it feels good :) [/B]
You said it baby. I hooked up office v.X (heehee while still laying in bed with the powerbook and airport) my girlfriend laughed at how giddy i was about geeky stuff. My powerbook is all X now and I am running photoshop off a firewire drive with 9 on it. When I get photoshop X bye bye 9.

BTW, I love hearing people complain about OSX saying they will stick with 9, I wager they are the same folks who will not move to DVD cause they already learned how to program their VCRs...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Nooooooooooooooooo

OS X is the end of the world!!!!!!!!!! is the 6th sign!!!!!!!!! If OS 9 have almost aplications imagine Mac people trying to find aplications for an already small market?

OS X is the ennnnnnnnd Noooooooooooooo

AAaaaaaHHHHHhaaahahaaaa!!!!

"and my mymemory run around the stage hiting the wals with his head, bliding and shouting as the inevitable release of the OS X occur."

End of the first act.

B

Brent Turbo

Re: Re: Party!

Originally posted by sweetaction
[BTW, I love hearing people complain about OSX saying they will stick with 9, I wager they are the same folks who will not move to DVD cause they already learned how to program their VCRs... [/B]
What kind of analogy is that? Now if there were only a few dozen movies out for DVD, and no support from the the major motion picture companies, then we'd be on the same page. But DVD offers all of the of the latest releases, and bonus features that you can't get on VHS. No comparison.

Of course nobody would want a DVD player if they had to wait until next summer to watch Planet of the Apes...

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
OMG, i cannot believe you guys

Why are you all complaining about OS X it's an awesome OS. Newayz, consider your options:

- go to osx and wait a bit for all your appz to come out

- stay with 9 and get no new appz whatsoever

- Join the Super-Nintendo-Operating-System revolution over at M$

Support OS X

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
Re: Re: Re: Party!

Originally posted by Brent Turbo
Originally posted by sweetaction
[BTW, I love hearing people complain about OSX saying they will stick with 9, I wager they are the same folks who will not move to DVD cause they already learned how to program their VCRs...
What kind of analogy is that? Now if there were only a few dozen movies out for DVD, and no support from the the major motion picture companies, then we'd be on the same page. But DVD offers all of the of the latest releases, and bonus features that you can't get on VHS. No comparison.

Of course nobody would want a DVD player if they had to wait until next summer to watch Planet of the Apes... [/B]

The analogy was only that if you bought a DVD player the day they came out you didnt have much to play with. In time you were stoked, you had all the movies and all the features you wanted. Or you could chill with your VHS and find yourself eventually supporting the old medium and then reluctantly moving on when you find blockbuster dont rent VHS anymore.

People will stop making apps for 9. You know this.

A

Anonymous

has macos 9 suddenly stopped working or something? if you can't use your apps in mac os 10's classic mode then boot back into 9 ... DUH!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
slow migration

one of my clients, when i was a tech intern, said they would take four or five years to migrate to os x last year when the first betas found their way into some techies' hands...if they migrated, that would be 300 to 350 machines

in mid-2000, this big company had just moved over to NT 4.0 and only now are they in a limited migration to windows 2000 which won't be done until 2002

so os 9 may be around for some large businesses due to cost

my original mentor's company he works for still does the majority of their work on second generation powermacs (603s and 604s and they are doing just fine)

for the individual home user, it is easier to buy a new mac at circuit city on your credit card and be up and running on os x the next day

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
Jef, you are completly correct. At my work we have approx 300 windows machines and 40 Macs, running off of 2 NT 4 servers. I spent a frustrating 2 weeks trying to get OSX working with Adobe products in classic over an NT network. I shouldn't have wasted my time. I should have done what your collleagues are doing....slow adaptation. At home I use OSX. Much easier to deal with on only one machine...actually I love it. But I have to use OS9 at work. No other choice....well I could get dave and instal that. But I would gain nothing by using OSX. OS9 currently does everything I need.

Its not just a slow uptake on Apple stuff, we have just started to slowly move to Win 2000. We should be completely win 2000 in a year. So I suspect we will be OSX in a year or two.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
It's very true to say that larger enterprises have more innertia and take longer to adopt new technologies - in a corporate environment OS X will take a long time to catch on. However, there are very few Mac based corporate environments.

One of the Mac's largest vertical sectors is design for print and publishing, and the huge obstacle to OS X adoption there is the lack of a Carbonised Quark & Photoshop. When these apps come out, I think OS X adoption will accelerate rapidly.

In the kind of mixed Windows/Mac environment that Buggy describes, OS X has the potential to come out a real winner since its supports Mac and Windows file sharing. Workplaces that also use a lot of UNIX are likely to find it particuarly appealing.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Face facts - OS 9 is officially dead since Microsoft is no longer developing for it. If you're not going to move on to OS X then you might as well start reading Windows Rumors instead!

yandfeng

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2000
I have used Mac OS X since 23 August 2001 and apart from two kernel panics have found it to be working great. Less nightmares than I thought at first.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Nice one Quark. The platiunum interface has only been around for four years now! Does this mean we can expect Quark for OS X in 2005? ;)

Does the Quark beta look any good?

G

gorgonz

These things take time. I tried out the Public Beta, 10.0, 10.0.4, and a 10.1 beta. 10.0.4 and earlier were SLOW and the 10.1 beta I tried wasn't stable with Classic.

As soon as I installed 10.1 final, though, I made the switch. 10.1 is usably fast, perfectly stable, most of the apps that I use are carbonized, the few others run fine in classic, all my peripherals mostly work, and I'm starting to discover the wonders of running a UNIX box. (Apache, PHP, MySQL, little CGI scripts, SSH, cc, perl, a built-in FTP server, etc., etc.)

I'll admit that I did sacrifice a little speed for the power and stability, but it's more than worth it. The machines out there will get faster, more apps and peripherals will be native, and everybody will be happy.

It's good stuff. I understand if you're not ready to make the transition yet, but you'll want to before long. :)

Alex