Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Should they also bring back support for the SCSI port?

Rosetta is just the PowerPC version of Classic. Get on with it or keep a legacy machine.

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Goodbye Freehand!

Man, I will definitely miss Freehand, I´m a user since 1992. Time to start fiddling around with that copy of Pixelmator I bought a while back in one o those MacHeist bundles.

Does anybody recommend Pixelmator as a Freehand alternative or is there something better out there (not Adobe Illustrator please)?

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Sorry, there is a big difference between a 32 bit EFI and a 32 bit CPU. There are well known hacks to get Snow Leopard to boot into 64 bit Kernel Mode when you have a 32 bit EFI, but a 64 bit CPU.
Sorry, but you're the one mistaken here.

I'd love to see what "well known hacks" you are talking about because it's impossible to make a machine with a 32-bit EFI boot into a 64-bit kernel regardless of whether or not your CPU is 64-bit or 32-bit.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't know what everyone is talking about. According to Roaring Apps, Rosetta works just fine. And I'm not sure why anyone would really care about using it. Is it really that popular.

http://roaringapps.com/app:721

That's Rosetta Stone, the foreign language app.
Here were talking about Rosetta, the OS X service that allows apps compiled for PPC to run on Intel Macs.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Man, I will definitely miss Freehand, I´m a user since 1992. Time to start fiddling around with that copy of Pixelmator I bought a while back in one o those MacHeist bundles.

Does anybody recommend Pixelmator as a Freehand alternative or is there something better out there (not Adobe Illustrator please)?

Pixelmator is not vector based image creation and editing software.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12748868/

Don't spread false information. The Office 08 apps will work fine in Lion. The only thing that won't work is the installer which shouldn't be an issue so long as you installed the apps before upgrading and you backed them up so you can just move them over without the installer should something happen to your hard-drive after you install Lion.

Chris Breen on Macworld said that the installer works, though some people have reported issues with some of the updates (e.g. corrupt databases). He said it's nothing Microsoft couldn't fix with updates (and probably will since it's in its "current" support phase).

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI

I moved from an ancient pirated copy of Photoshop a long time ago to Pixelmator (from the same MacHeist bundle as you, I think) and I've been pleased with it, overall. That said, Photoshop is not Freehand, so I suppose you'll have to try it out to really know whether you like it.

JoeDMD

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
NJ
scanner, printers, etc.

My scanner drivers will not install witout rosetta.
Some printer drivers also require rosetta.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Legacy Support

If you have a scanner use VueScan. It supports just about any scanner that is or has been on the market.

I just wish I had a decent Quicken alternative.
The new version is bad and doesn't support older formats locking your data into a proprietary database. The other software out there just doesn't cut it. I've looked at iBank multiple times and it doesn't import or do split transactions well. I think i'll look at MoneyDance but I don't have high hopes.

If I had Rosetta I would just use the same old app I've been using.
If it works, why change?

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Sorry but MS Office for Mac is a joke compared to Office for Windows. Honestly the only thing worse than Office for Mac is Office 2007 for Windows. Lucky for me my work still uses Office XP (2002 w/ Outlook 2003) because everyone I know who has a newer PC for work hates the revamped Windows Office.

Strange - you attack the MS Office for Mac as being a joke compared with Office for Windows, then state that you still use and prefer the 2002 version.

Here we use both of the latest versions, and find them both drastic improvements on the earlier versions, and as good as each other.

So maybe you should not trash a Mac version when you don't even like the Windows version. Maybe your post should have simply read "All versions of Office since 2002/3 suck". That is really your stance.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
1) Navigate to the application and select it
2) File (menu) > Get Info
3) Under the General section look at the Kind
4) If Kind: is "Application (Intel)" or "Application (Universal)" you're okay
To check all your apps at once, open System Profiler (Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info...). Go to Applications and click on the Kind column. You'll see which apps are PPC only on your system.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I can wait and by waiting my scanner software that I use will still work (for what ever reason epson hasn't updated it yet).
For old scanners, try VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/). I first bought it when Epson dropped my printer after the classic to OS X switch years ago and I've been getting free upgrades ever since. In many cases it's better than the software bundled with the scanner.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Good point, I forgot all about this. I've already been warning people they need Office 2008 or newer if they plan to upgrade, but I totally forgot the installer is PowerPC (which makes zero sense).

...and when does anything coming from Redmond WA make sense?? (sorry, couldn't resist)

It is frustrating though that Apple would chose to do this. But to be fair, it's not like it's been 5 years or anything... oh wait, yes it has. You could see the writing on the wall when they dropped PPC support in Snow Leopard.

And speaking of Microsoft... People, and more importantly corporations, are not really adopting Windows 7 like they had hoped (it's still about half and half). Why? Partly it is because companies have spent a lot of money on programs that they don't want to give up. Partly because they did such an excellent job with Vista. But this is nothing new for Microsoft. They have always had problems with reverse compatibility when transitioning between operating systems.

It will be interesting to see if this actually affects people's adoption of Lion. Clearly Apple doesn't think it will.

Maoltuile

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
For old scanners, try VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/). I first bought it when Epson dropped my printer after the classic to OS X switch years ago and I've been getting free upgrades ever since. In many cases it's better than the software bundled with the scanner.

Tried Vuescan. Hate it with a passion. Horrible, horrible, even compared to years-old Canon software.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Eudora

So what are die-hard Eudora users moving to for email under Lion?

I tried both Thunderbird and the Apple Mail app a couple years ago, and went back to using my 6 year old copy of Eudora.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.