Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameskatt

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
i1Match currently requires Rosetta. That's the X-Rite i1Display 2 monitor calibration software.

This is going to be a good reason some companies will get off their butt and update their software.

Some of these companies simply haven't cared that much about the Mac. They need to since a substantial number of customers use the Mac.

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Damn!

I "want" to upgrade to Lion BUT I still use many older PPC apps that run just fine but are no longer actively being supported.

One is DISKTRACKER where I have thousands of cds archived and the other is PHOTOGRIDX to quickly edit photos.

I am going to be screwed without either of these.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
i1Match currently requires Rosetta. That's the X-Rite i1Display 2 monitor calibration software.

I have that calibration device and it's time to upgrade...it's several years old now - I'm looking at getting the ColorMunki...

roadbloc said:
...interesting on how Microsoft manages to keep compatibility, but Apple can't.

Vista didn't do such a great job of keeping compatible...a lot of programs needed to be upgraded so they'd run on XP/Vista, and then Win7. Windows 7 has done a good job, but Vista was the big, no pun intended, roadblock to allow that to happen....

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Farewell to UT99... wait, wtf? NO: farewell LION.

Apple should have Rosetta. I can live without Lion. I can NOT live without the dozen old programs I continue to use, and I'd rather not spend $2500 for new versions after $29.95 for a buggy OS that won't be consumer ready until late next year.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
We use Appleworks at work as well. The .cwk documents will open in Pages (drag to Pages icon) IF they are "word processing" documents; however, database and drawing documents will not open in any other program that I have found. I have an old 12" PBG4 which I'll use for my Appleworks documents when the other computers are upgraded to Lion. If anyone knows an alternative way to open or translate Appleworks database or drawing documents please shout.

For database files Bento should work:

http://www.filemaker.co.uk/products/bento/appleworks.html

asterizk

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Sarasota, Florida
Thinking about this more I think this theory has a lot of merit.

I think Apple WILL be shifting some or all of its machines over to ARM in the near future. It just makes sense to support a single chipset from an engineering cost perspective, and guess what chipset their fastest-growing OS uses? Re-writing Rosetta to run under ARM is just not in Apple's interest (also Rosetta was developed for Apple by a third party, Transitive, which IBM purchased three years ago).

If there was ever a company that pro-actively killed technology, it's Apple. By doing so it can both drive new sales (the cynical view) and add new user features as quickly as possible (the non-cynical view). Both views are probably true.

This ties into this recent rumor about Apple moving future laptops to ARM processors.

Also, on the topic of tech-obsolescence: Why Microsoft Has Made Developers Horrified of Coding for Windows 8

The strange thing is that majority of Apples business now uses ARM, with is a version PowerPC.

Like many others in this thread: I have Apple Codecs to FinalCutPro that uses Rosetta. I will not be happy if Apple has not solved this with next version of OSX.

BTW.
I predict that an ARM version of OSX will be avalible within 2 years. In only 4 months there are ARM chips that are fast enough for 80-90% of the users.

The quod core ARM is faster then for example first gen MacBook air intel processor. The different is energy and price. Intel Chip + chipset motherboard costs about 400 dollar and draws peak 40 watt. A quod core ARM has the same functionality costs 25 dollar and draws 2.5 watt peak.

artguy3d

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Vista didn't do such a great job of keeping compatible...a lot of programs needed to be upgraded so they'd run on XP/Vista, and then Win7. Windows 7 has done a good job, but Vista was the big, no pun intended, roadblock to allow that to happen....

Lion could become the great "Vista debacle" for Apple. I've purchased every cat Apples offered on day one - early adopter from way back Beta version "Kodiak", then "Cheetah", "Puma", "Jaguar", "Panther", "Tiger", "Leopard" and now "Snow Leopard". Also owned every version of DOS and Windows until XP.

But I never even upgraded to Vista and hate helping others use it and Windows 7.

Lion is not looking like something I want to go through the pain of adopting for what seems to be very little gain. Some other loyal users may feel the same...

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The strange thing is that majority of Apples business now uses ARM, with is a version PowerPC.

The ARM architecture is not a version of the PowerPC. PowerPC came after Acorn ARM, although the IBM 801 experimental RISC machine predated both.

I predict that an ARM version of OSX will be avalible within 2 years.

iPhone OS and iOS are ARM versions of OS X, and they came out over 2 years ago.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I'm never upgrading. I have my programs I bought with my SE/30 back in the day and I spent a pretty penny for them. I'm not about to spend more money just to run these programs I already bought.

Why don't these new Macs come with a way to run my SE/30 programs? Where's the damn disk-drives in these things? I don't like new things. In my day you bought something and if you took care of it it lasts forever. I don't like them abandoning their customers and their older computers. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars on these things and they want more? No-sir-re. not from me they don't get another dime. I still run System 6 on it with the Multifinder. Works just fine.

/end grumpy-old-dinosaur rant

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If some company comes along and builds their own emulation or signs up with publishers to port over their old code - they might make a bit of a small killing.

trrll

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Canvas

Another program unavailable in an OS X Intel version is Canvas, once the premier Mac drawing package, but acquired by a company that reformulated it into a high-end Windows-only package that costs about as much as a Mac Mini. I use Canvas a few times a week, and I've literally got decades of Canvas files, many of which I use on a regular basis. I've yet to find a Mac program that is an adequate substitute. So I'm not going to be upgrading to Tiger until I have a workaround for the omission of Rosetta. Dual boot is an option, but an inconvenient one. I'm hoping that somebody will work out a way to use an earlier version of Mac OS with Parallels or VMWare so that I can run it simultaneously with Lion.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Older software does not work. I think this was a bad idea. They could remove the ability to compile new software using Rosetta but there is going to be a lot of stuff that just stops working. I believe Office 2008 can not even install with out Rosetta as the installer is PPC the program itself does not need it but the installer does.

I think it was a bad idea for Apple do drop a bomb shell like that. Honestly Apple should of give at least 2 years noticed so companies and enterprise which tend to move slower have noticed but then again this is why Apple sucks in the enterprise market.

They did get notice... back when they switched to Intel processors. Time to come out of the cave and notice that the world has advanced.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
Not an expert with printers and Macs, but it might be possible with some generic postscript driver (which the 3100cn has support for).

You were right! Thanks. Tonight I uninstalled the PPC-only printer driver for my Dell 3100cn and set up the printer using Apple's Generic Postscript Printer driver. Know what? It works perfectly. I printed a text document and a Google map and both look exactly as they're supposed to. I'm totally ready to ditch Rosetta now.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I won't be able to play Diablo 2 or StarCraft 1 anymore once I upgrade to Lion. :( Maybe Blizzard will actually update them to work without Rosetta.

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
I can live without Lion. I can NOT live without the dozen old programs I continue to use

I don't know what I'm going to do when my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro need to be replaced. I still think OS X is the best personal computer OS there is… but its owner thinks the personal computer has no future.

artguy3d

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
The problem is that this is not always true. For some stuff the newer software currently available is a retreat (more bugs, less features), not an advance.

Agree with you.

I own several new i7's a i5 an i3 also OSX servers and several other OSX systems. Safe to say I'm not in a cave but still can rant about this stupid move by Apple.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
The only issue I take with the forthcoming Lion update is the lack of support for the Intel Core Duo chips.

My MacBook will not run Lion because it is the first gen MacBook with a Core Duo chip. Yet 6 months later the MacBooks got the Core 2 Duo chips at the GHz.

Dammit! Does that chip REALLY make THAT much of a difference for Lion???

Yeah. It's a 32-bit chip. The Core 2s are 64-bit.

Mac4Brains

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
The number one issue that separates Windows from Mac, legacy support!

I am a long time Mac fan who likes my games. I installed Windows on my Mac just so I can get some old games, that I loved in the past, to work, off of eBay, since I cant play them on the Mac anymore. The one part of windows I do like is the legacy support. I can still play the same games in windows while the Mac version of the same game was made non-functional several times over.

Macs are overpriced as it is, being forced to get new software because the new Mac OS does not support my old software makes the overhead of owning a Mac even more costly. The costs of the Mac and the costs of keeping a Mac is the main gripe most Windows people have. Dropping Rosetta is not helping this issue any.

Now I am being told that the software I got 5 year ago will no longer work on a Mac while I have some software running in Windows 7 that was made for Windows 95, that I still like to use after 16 years. And now with the iTools, sorry iDisk, on now it is Mac.com, or is it MobllMe, oh wait now it is iCloud and I still don’t know how all this is going to affect me.

This is getting a little frustrating Steve!:mad:

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
You know, I remember in undergrad using a UV/spec that was connected to an HP DOS computer to do the calculations. It worked fine for an extremely long time (yes, the computers did die recently, I believe). So the department bought some new specs and connected them to Mac mini's. They'll probably keep with that until those die and upgrade again.

The lesson here is that it is completely okay to stay with an old OS version and hardware to run mission critical software as long as you take proper care of it. It is doing exactly what you need it to do and that is great. If you want 10.7 install it on a machine that you don't run that software on. It sucks but that is how the world has worked for quite some time now.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
You shouldn't have to buy a Windows license (and Parallels/VMWare if you don't want to reboot) to use some software. If they care about you as a customer in the slightest they should port it and if they don't care about me why should I trust that their product is for me?

You don't HAVE to upgrade either.

No one is being "forced" to do anything here.

Lion will not support Rosetta. Make your decisions accordingly.

People still using PPC based software clearly aren't a large enough number for Apple to care about or... they would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.