OS X v10.1.3 Update Available

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Yahoo!!!!!!! Finally I can play DVDs on my TV through Mac OS X with out using a keyboard and mouse.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Something had to go wrong...

I hate to spoil the party, but a couple of things aren't right with 10.1.3 on my 600mhz iBook.

First, the mail application appears as a folder in my "Applications" directory. I moved it to "Applications/Internet" for better organization. Well, the old one works, but i don't think it got upgraded.

Secondly, my visualizer in iTunes seems like it's drunk. It's slower. I used to get 30+fps with medium size and low quality, but now it tops out at 15. The windowed visualizer still sucks major @$$.

Other than that, the update seems to fine. Booted up in under 2 mins with logon. If anyone else sees a slow-down in the iTunes full screen visualizer, please say it! I can't stand it, because i know my hardware can handle the visualizer...

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Strange...

Well, aside from my machine freezing when I clicked 'reset' (I think BBEdit did something funky) all went fine. iTunes' visualisers seem no faster or slower for me. Windowed mode is super fast as always. (Of course I have a DP G4 800).

blakespot

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
well, I haven't noticed any improvements on my DG4800 yet. On my old iMac DV SE i sold to my friend the only thing I noticed is that it now supports my old SPRESSA 100EX.

Thats the only differnces I have seen so far.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Its better!

My CDRW is going to work, (but still does not appear in Finder and so on) AND try to right-click on a directory in the dock!
Even with many files, the speed of opening has been increased!
Now that rules :cool:

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
Re: Its better!

Originally posted by Stike
My CDRW is going to work, (but still does not appear in Finder and so on) AND try to right-click on a directory in the dock!
Even with many files, the speed of opening has been increased!
Now that rules :cool:
I'm not sure I see what's different with the dock

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
my dock still opens folders at the same speed. besides it's broken in mine. it keeps on resetting to it's default every time i logout.

mgescuro

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2002
Silicon Valley

I still don't notice any difference, for the most part.

It still doesn't recognize my Yamaha YST-MS35D USB speaker system. I still have to unplug and replug in the USB in order for OS X to detect it correctly.

Maybe 10.2 will finally correct the issue.

U

Unregistered

How?

Originally posted by al256
Yahoo!!!!!!! Finally I can play DVDs on my TV through Mac OS X with out using a keyboard and mouse.
How can you do that?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
iTunes.

iTunes visualizer got much worse after installing. Whatever "improvements" they did to iTunes are not universal. I hate when stuff like this happens.

Boo.

Matthew

U

Unregistered

Monitor resolutions

I am pleased to report that my QuickSilver 867MHz Tower with nVidia MX2 card connected to a Sony G400 monitor now supplies 100 Hertz refresh rate at 1152 x 870 resolution running MacOS 10.1.3. I used to only get 75 Hertz at this resolution. When I reboot into MacOS 9, however, I still only get 640 x 480 resolution. Has anyone else noticed improvements in the display refresh rates?

Ed

U

Unregistered

I hate it

I used to get 1920 x 1440 ( Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u ) now I only get 1920x1200 what is that all about? Some how apple has screwed up my refresh rates and screen size. Now the only resolution that works well with my monitor is 1280x1024 and on a 22" monitor well that looks like 640x480 on a 15"... UGGGGGHHHHHHH...

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Something had to go wrong...

Originally posted by G4scott
I hate to spoil the party, but a couple of things aren't right with 10.1.3 on my 600mhz iBook.

First, the mail application appears as a folder in my "Applications" directory. I moved it to "Applications/Internet" for better organization. Well, the old one works, but i don't think it got upgraded.
This happened to me as well - I had my Mail.app inside a subdirectory of Applications called Network for better organization. In addition, the same thing happened with Image Capture.

I managed to fix it, though. First, open up your existing Mail.app, and note the version number in the Mail / About Mail menu, just so you know it gets updated when it does.

Next, you should back up Mail.app in case you screw something up. I did this by opening Terminal and using cp -rp to copy it to a new filename (example: cp -rp Mail.app Mail2.app)

Then view Mail's package contents in the Finder. Drag all the files from the Applications/Mail folder that 10.1.3 just installed into the existing Mail.app package contents where the existing ones are, overwriting them. Et voila, you have an updated Mail.app. Mine went from 1.1 (v475/481) to 1.1 (v481). Whatever that means.

The same procedure should work for Image Capture too.

And the Unix people save the Mac people once again! :)

Alex

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Build Number

I have OS X Server. I upgraded (using the Software Update) and my build number is 5P68, and it still says 10.1.2. Last update the same type thing happened, and it was a few weeks later that I actually got the server update. Anyone else with server notice this?

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
I guess I'm Lucky... for once!!

I installed the update and it made a few, little things noticeably nicer.

Like the Applications folder I have in the Dock, if I hold down the mouse on it, it shows the contents much faster than before.

Also, in iTunes, the full screen visualization stuff is alot smoother and I got lost in it with the music for about ten minutes or so. I think they are playing mind games with people and that visualization thingy. I suddenly have the urge to buy something Apple... doesn't matter what, just anything... it's like our own, personalized SJ Reality Distortion Field Generator.

I am very happy!!:D

trinitishwar

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2001
Gainesville, Fl

The installation went quite well for me. Imac DV SE 400. Nice speed improvement for directories in the dock. Also seems to be faster accessing large submenus under favorites in IE. The finder might be a little faster in navigating through the file tree under iDisk , but that might be my imagination.