Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today made a pre-release version of OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 available to those who are signed up for the company's OS X public beta program, giving them early access to the new update and the new Photos for OS X app.

The public beta carries a build number of 14D87p, a slightly later build number than the 14D87h from the second developer beta of the software, released last week.

All registered public beta test members should be able to download OS X Yosemite through the Mac App Store.

OS X 10.10.3 includes access to the new Photos app, which is designed to serve as a replacement for Aperture and iPhoto. Early reviews have suggested the new software improves upon iPhoto, but leaves out many power features Aperture users have become accustomed to.

Along with the Photos app, OS X 10.10.3 also includes a redesigned single-page emoji picker that's organized into categories, and it introduces new diversified emoji and emoji skin tone modifiers. There are also new flag emoji for many countries, and some updates to existing emoji to better reflect Apple products -- the watch emoji is now an Apple Watch, the cell phone resembles an iPhone 6, and the computer is an iMac.

Smaller additions in OS X 10.10.3 include support for Google 2-step verification when setting up accounts in System Preferences.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Public Beta With Photos App Now Available

scheming

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2005
Should I have received an email? Is there a link?

Edit: I guess I missed this:
All registered public beta test members should be able to download OS X Yosemite through the Mac App Store.

Edit2: I realized I removed the Feedback Assistant app from my mac when I was having second thoughts about Yosemite Beta. After downloading it again, now I am seeing the available update through Mac App Store. I feel like such a newb.

For anyone else that is hitting a wall like me: https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome, sign in, follow instructions to download and install Feedback Assistant, launch Mac App Store and check for updates.

Last edited:

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warszawa, Poland
Could anybody please check if geotagging has made its way into Photos app? Not viewing map and already geotagged photos, but actually adding/changing location data.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Been looking forward to this Photo app for months. Get my pictures into iCloud and such.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
There is a part of me that really, really wants to participate in these public betas... but I only have the one Mac and I know it's probably not the best idea to install on my primary computer :-/ I guess I'll just wait with the rest of the regular people

The risk of it messing things up beyond reasonably easy repair is low, but not zero. All depends on how bad you want to be first.

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Finally, that wonky thumbnail view which resembles a corrupt analog signal can be mine!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There is a part of me that really, really wants to participate in these public betas... but I only have the one Mac and I know it's probably not the best idea to install on my primary computer :-/ I guess I'll just wait with the rest of the regular people

If you’re prepared to restore your system from an earlier backup and keep constant backups, and otherwise are not uncomfortable testing potentially buggy software, there’s really no harm. I have been using the minor beta releases of OS X without any problems so far.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Ugh, is a white background the only choice? Last week I complimented Microsoft on the black backgrounds on the new Windows 10 Photos app beta. Based on the video preview it looks like Apple has gone to ugly, white backgrounds. Bright white around photos does not work well.

doverlock

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Austin, TX
If, like me you were a beta tester but reinstalled a fresh copy at release of Yosemite, you can go here https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ and download the beta test utility to be able to download betas again from the app store.

Thought this might be useful for some.

Thanks for this! I was going nuts trying to figure out why it wasn't showing.

For specifics, log in, click 'Enroll your Mac', and in step 2 download the Beta Access Utility. :)

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.