Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
Ye
Are you using an Evernote app on Leopard?

EDIT- Never mind. It turns out I made an account in 2019 that I forgot about. I had to look through the Wayback machine to find the last PPC supported app download. It works great on 10.5!
Yes....it synced well with my iPhone, iPad & my intel Mac. Just hopefully they won't block anyone using old system.

Reactions: ww2_1943

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
Surely an optimised, refined, streamlined version of Tiger wouldn’t be called Shuriken.

Just on word association alone:

Mac OS X Leopard is to Mac OS X Snow Leopard

as Mac OS X Tiger is to Mac OS X Siberian Tiger

EB4C6E53-6E52-4077-AB3C-DD7B49FC3A62.jpeg

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Does anyone know what's the current status of this project?

It was supposed to have been unveiled a week ago (there was even a countdown to the big day - however those posts were deleted) but there are no updates on the MG page.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
I usually do my own installs, so never used any customs builds or stuff like that. But was curious of z970 works, and he has always been helpful (for me anyway) when asked for help, or with his compilations/organisation of tricks and tips posted here.
I do enjoy a good laugh, but the repeated mockery I've read here left me with a bad taste.
Don't really understand the point.

I do hope he will eventually release his Shuriken, with his own unmistakable style (And I do hope he will explain why "Shuriken", cause it took me months to "get" why "Sorbet"...).

Last edited:

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
I had fun with Sorbet too, and seeing the very wide reach it seems to have had (I watched a review of Sorbet on action retro, for example) I’d hope that @z970 isn’t dissuaded by some nerd-on-nerd teasing. I look forward to Shuriken - even if I will never be able to spell it without cheating

Surely an optimised, refined, streamlined version of Tiger wouldn’t be called Shuriken.

Just on word association alone:

Mac OS X Leopard is to Mac OS X Snow Leopard

as Mac OS X Tiger is to Mac OS X Siberian Tiger

View attachment 2120769

It wouldn’t even be called Siberian Tiger, as that suggests a major version change with the kernel. Nope.

“OS X 10.4.12” should be called “Rippington”, as in that awful noodling band’s cat mascot.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I usually do my own installs, so never used any customs builds or stuff like that. But was curious of z970 works, and he has always been helpful (for me anyway) when asked for help, or with his compilations/organisation of tricks and tips posted here.
I do enjoy a good laugh, but the repeated mockery I've read here left me with a bad taste.
Don't really understand the point.

I do hope he will eventually release his Shuriken, with his own unmistakable style (And I do hope he will explain why "Shuriken", cause it took me months to "get" why "Sorbet"...).
I thought the same thing. I was new to vintage Macs about two years ago. It stared during the pandemic. Sorbet is a great way to get rolling. Now I am at the point where I optimize my own Tiger install. I learned how to do that mostly by reading through old threads here. Everyone here has been helpful! Overall, this is one of the few places I can escape the nastiness of social media and still connect with people who have similar hobbies.

I am looking forward to this new release and it may be my new Tiger go to.

IDK about all of you, but I bet there are at least a few of us who are considered weird, eccentric, quirky, etc. I like the "marketing." It is in good fun. We will never have real release for PowerPC again. Might as well have fun recreating it. One of my old hobbies was historical reenacting. I think there is something about trying to recreate a bit of a moment from the past. That is where my perspective is coming from.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I personally like the marketing too. I quite enjoyed Sorbet. I will admit that I am the type of person who would rather use Sorbet than do all of the optimizations myself, so Sorbet and z970's previous projects such as TenFourFoxPEP and Auroratrimcelerator really appeal to me. I'm not the biggest fan of Tiger, but I'm willing to give Shuriken a spin on one of my Macs.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I don't know guys, I hope we didn't scare him off. A lot of negative things were said about his approach to the release, and maybe he felt he couldn't be bothered making a passion project for ungrateful people.
I would guess beta testing his thing has not gone according to plan and the "product" need some more refinement. I am sure he doesn't want to knowingly release buggy package to obviously loud critical audience. That is the usual cause for such things - except for commercial software houses who like to release semi-finished products and let the paying customers do most of the testing.

Or maybe he just underestimated the time needed to make true of all the promises the marketing department has made? 😜

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Or maybe he just underestimated the time needed to make true of all the promises the marketing department has made? 😜
Any promises made are only to himself - no one else has a clue what Shuriken is or does.

Don't know why he can't come back down to Earth and communicate like the rest of us mere mortals - despite the occasional beef, he's amongst friends here!

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
Any promises made are only to himself - no one else has a clue what Shuriken is or does.
Ok, lets change it:

Or maybe he just underestimated the time needed to create something worth of the hype and excitement marketing department has created?

I am sure he doesn't want to imitate Apple all the way and release something not quite up to the hype and mostly just disappointing. ;)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Or maybe he just underestimated the time needed to create something worth of the hype and excitement marketing department has created?
Again, then why not just say, "sorry guys - taking longer than anticipated, will update you soon."

Of course, he doesn't owe anybody anything and this forum is not the audience he's playing to anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.