Other handset discussion in iPhone forum? With poll.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 27, 2008.

?

Other handset discussions?

1. Yes, let's discuss all kinds of handsets in here

87 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I want to read and post about the iPhone

109 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

iPhone forum users, are you tired of threads about the Storm (for instance) clogging up the iPhone forum? Or do you want every new iPhone-killer product to be endlessly dissected in here?

Do you come to this forum to talk and read about the iPhone or do you like this being a handset free for all?

Enquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I'd like to talk about all Iphone competitors, there features and short comings. I have paid good attention to the storm threads, and liked them

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

if it's unbiased then yes, let's discuss the competitors

But seeing as the threads just end up as an , iPhone is great 'x' is poor they seem a bit pointless

4. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

I definitely like to hear about what else is out there. It always makes me appreciate my iPhone all over again! :D

5. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

Storm discussions will pass. I think this poll was a bit premature. I'm tired of seeing iPhone threads clogging up iPhone forum. I suppose we could direct them to HowardForums. :D

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Really don't care about other phones, iPhone only please.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree. It's quite difficult to even get a word in about why another handset would and should be picked over the iPhone. As soon as you start putting out facts the iPhone lovers think you are just bashing their baby and start spitting in your cyber eye.

Had to leave one thread because it was starting up by page 2.

So if we can have it be as unbiased as possible then bring it on.

Besides, there are many users on these forums that don't have an iPhone, and are searching for information about what phone to get, how to sync it, and what issues may come about.

8. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

I vote no i don't care for other phones, I held off from buying the first iphone because i heard bad thing but now that i got one i love it i don't plan on buying another phone for a while and if i want to know about other phones i can go to many review sites.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

So basically, since YOU have an iPhone NO ONE else needs to know about how other phones interact with their Macs?

Right, this is why we NEED that forum.

10. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

they should have an other's forum but we shouldn't have other phones being talked about in the iphone specific forum. i don't care bout the storm, voyager, bold, instinct, or any other phone that comes out they have pages dedicated to them if people want to know how they work its easy to find info

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

On other forums that I read, a subforum is made entitled "competitors." That always seems to work pretty well.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I agree with this. But I don't think that discussion of competitors' handsets and "iPhone vs" threads should clutter the main forum, where people are trying to discuss features and issues related to the iPhone itself.

Besides, there are already other forums on other sites that cater to the discussion of all manner of handsets and wireless carriers, and they're very vibrant and well-visited. If it were up to me, I would prefer that people participate in those sites for other-handset discussions, and let the MR forums continue to focus on just Apple stuff.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This seems like it would be the best solution. That way those who are looking to discuss just the iphone don't have to sift through all the debates.

By the way akonradi, what are you doing looking at other forums? Don't you know that MacRumors is the best there is? ;)

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, I'd need a super-duper flame suit to discuss the stuff that the other forums are based on: computers that don't run t3h leetiest mac os, mobile devices that aren't iPods, etc.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Personally, I think MacRumors should be kept to discussing news and rumors concerning Mac products.

Let's substitute iPhone and competitors with iMac and competitors... Who wants to go into a forum to read about their computer and find threads concerning Windows computers? Or the newest Linux platform? "Have you seen how awesome Ubuntu is!!!!???!!?!?".

Nah. Stick to the iPhone por favor.

16. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

i like hearing mainly about iphone, but i do like hearing how bad competitors are failing at their attempts of matching it :D

17. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

This is tough. I like to discuss the competitors, but it gets obnoxious and repetitive to have some person create a daily thread on the "BB Storm better than iPhone?" or "BB Bold, faster than iPhone 3G?". All in all I think competitors should be discussed within threads, but not as reasons for threads or titles as means of comparison or to make a point.

Exactly. There are too many of the same threads...

18. cube macrumors G4

Stop redirecting applerumors.com to macrumors.com and send ALL the phone stuff there.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I don't mind threads about competitors... I just don't like "I hate the iPhone so now I'm getting some Samsung Flip Phone" threads

20. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I like reading about other phones of comparable capabilities, but I think this should stay the "iPhone" forum. Other phones can be discussed in the community forum or perhaps create another forum for non-apple branded phones.

this forum is more than just a discussion of capabilities. It's a place for help and info about the iPhone. Other phone discussions will just pollute this one and if someone needs help with a blackberry, they should go to a blackberry-centric site and vice-versa.

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree. Which is why we need a thread that that isn't filled with, "Such and such phone sucks because it's not an iPhone and since I have an iPhone is have to be the gr3atest phone there is and it have an Apple logo so it be SO COOL!!!!"

While others that don't have the iPhone for whatever reason can find resources and discussions of other phones. Don't have to post any news, since it would be biased anyway, just let us discuss.

Honestly, it can be created anywhere, but there SHOULD and NEEDS to be a forum dedicated to it.

22. Eric. macrumors regular

If its just for the sake of discussing and comparing a competing phone, sure. But if you mean to just have general discussion of x phone and wondering how to do y on x phone I'd rather keep it someplace else. For example, threads for phones relating to the iPhone (Storm, other smartphones) can be allowed, but something like the enV2 should be discussed in another appropriate forum.

A lot of people come here to troubleshoot or learn about the iPhone, not to look at some random texting phone.

23. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Agreed :apple:

24. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Cancel my vote, i voted no but want yes.

It's related to the iPhone because it's in the same market. It also makes the forum a little more active. This shouldn't even be something to consider.

25. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Agreed :apple:

We can talk about Windows on the Mac, and Hackintoshes but not other phone competitors?