Other iPhone 4 Press Conference Notes: Over 3 Million Sold, White Models Coming, International Releases July 30th

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While the big news out of Apple's iPhone 4 press conference was the announcement of free cases for customers and a positioning of antenna issues as affecting nearly all smartphones, there was additional news from Apple CEO Steve Jobs, including acknowledgment of proximity sensor issues with a fix promised for the next iOS software update. Jobs also made several other announcements which may be of interest to readers:

- Over 3 Million iPhone 4s Sold: Jobs announced early in his presentation that the iPhone 4 has sold over three million units since its launch in the U.S. and four other countries on June 24th.
The iPhone 4 is perhaps the best product we've ever made at Apple, and we have sold well over three million since we launched it three weeks ago. Just three weeks ago.
The company had previously announced sales of over 1.7 million units in the first three days of availability.

- White iPhone 4 Coming End of July: Jobs also announced that the white iPhone 4 will begin shipping in limited quantities by the end of this month, meeting earlier promises that they would become available in the second half of July.
A lot of people waiting for the white iPhone. We're going to start shipping it at the end of this month. And our quantities will be limited at first - we're ramping up as fast as we can. The white iPhones will start shipping at the end of July.

- iPhone 4 to 17 New Countries on July 30th: Apple had announced at the iPhone 4's official introduction in early June, the second batch of iPhone 4 launches would take place in 18 countries at the end of July. Jobs today announced that those countries, with the exception of South Korea, will see the iPhone 4 arrive on July 30th.
On July 30th, we are going to bring the iPhone to 17 more countries, and these are the same 17 we talked about before with the omission of just South Korea because it's going to take just a little bit longer to get government approval there.
Article Link: Other iPhone 4 Press Conference Notes: Over 3 Million Sold, White Models Coming, International Releases July 30th

joshjoshlol

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
Here's to hoping that the additional time afforded to the white iPhone will negate its need to have an ugly bumper on it, ruining the form. I'm really hoping that they weren't just sitting on their laurels with this issue...

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Great!
Can't wait to see myself if there really are issues with the antenna. :D

Edit: If there really are problems, I'm gonna use tape or paint to insulate the antenna.
Edit2: Can't really understand why Apple doesn't make a sandwitched version of the antenna. Where the actual antenna would be under a layer of aluminium and plastic (or some other insulation material).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Limited quantities... that means one of two things, to me.

A. Buy a tent.

B. They won't be giving them to Best Buy, Radioshack, Walmart, etc. at first.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
What the hell? The real news is Jobs is wearing a belt now. No wonder he said they're "working their asses off." :D

Can't wait for revision A. Worth the wait.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Terrible Press Conference

Am I the only one that saw this as one of the most pathetic press conferences ever? For over 30 minutes SJ told us why are problem isn't a problem, but hey, for those of you that still think it is I'll give you a free case.

I wish he would have spent more time talking about a real solution, not showing off competitor phones.

I expect more out of Apple I guess. They just dropped a notch for me.

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
Although Apple is providing full refunds and/or free cases, Apple is still not addressing the problem...just providing a workaround. Granted many people may not know or care about the problem once they have a free case.

Here are some points to ponder:

1)Apple claims 3million iPhone 4 phones sold...yet only 0.55% of them have been returned for "antenna problems". Well, a)that's still 15,500 people and b)how many people have had their iPhones long enough to notice the problem AND HAVE TIME to return it or complain? I know several people who ordered phones weeks ago and they were just arriving yesterday and today.

2)The 0.55% seems extremely low...I'm sure with all this media fuss and Apple's emergency PR meeting, there were more than 0.55% returns due to antenna problems (and/or Apple expecting huge customer complaint numbers once everyone actually received their iPhone 4 and had a few days to use it). I would bet by end of July when every customer actually has had the iPhone for more than a week this 0.55% would be up towards the 10% range...but we'll never know...and we'll never know about (since today's conference) how much sweet talking Apple will do to future customers trying to return it (probably "hey, take the case and we'll give you ANOTHER 30 days to return it...pretty please?").

3)The iPhone 3GS has been for sale for 9+ months...with a return rate of 6%...iPhone 4 has been for sale for 22 days and a return rate of 0.55%...you can't compare these 2 percentages. Let's hear what Apple has to say 9 months from now on iPhone 4 returns.

Hey, I like the iPhone 4 (I have the 3GS)...but today's PR was just simply a rehash of Apple's "return it if you don't like it" policy and Apple will waive the restocking fee. Oh, and you also get a free bumper/case that costs Apple about $3 to produce. And did you see/hear how many times Apple said they love their customers? I'm sure that's true...but this workaround a)hides the sexiness of the new iPhone 4G and b)doesn't fix the root cause of the problem (poor design).

How the iPhone 4 shipped with this problem is a matter Apple is furious about...and is doing a great job belittling it. You can't tell me all the developers/testers/beta users/etc. didn't notice this problem. Not a single person?

My gut says that within a few months there will be some kind of recall or even a very very very quiet Rev2. Personally I don't understand why my finger located over a spot kills the reception...but put a piece of rubber between my finger and the same spot and it all works fine.

-Eric

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Personally I don't understand why my finger located over a spot kills the reception...but put a piece of rubber between my finger and the same spot and it all works fine.

-Eric

Really you don't understand ? Remember the days when people made rabbit ears for their TV with METAL coat hangers ? Try making one with a RUBBER coat hanger - I don't think it will work as well.

Anyway, as noted :

AnandTech also found out that while the iPhone 4 suffers from its external antenna design, it also benefits greatly from it. In areas with very low signal (-113 dBm), the iPhone 4 performs much better than the iPhone 3GS. "I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."

Simsonic

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Cardiff by the Sea
Question

And basically Apple said "how is there a problem?"

I have an ip4, as do millions of others, and 99.5% of us are totally okay with the phone. So I ask "how is there a problem?" Please go away...

Although Apple is providing full refunds and/or free cases, Apple is still not addressing the problem...just providing a workaround. Granted many people may not know or care about the problem once they have a free case.

1)Apple claims 3million iPhone 4 phones sold...yet only 0.55% of them have been returned for "antenna problems". Well, a)that's still 15,500 people and b)how many people have had their iPhones long enough to notice the problem AND HAVE TIME to return it or complain? I know several people who ordered phones weeks ago and they were just arriving yesterday and today.

2)The 0.55% seems extremely low...I'm sure with all this media fuss and Apple's emergency PR meeting, there were more than 0.55% returns due to antenna problems (and/or Apple expecting huge customer complaint numbers once everyone actually received their iPhone 4 and had a few days to use it). I would bet by end of July when every customer actually has had the iPhone for more than a week this 0.55% would be up towards the 10% range...but we'll never know...and we'll never know about (since today's conference) how much sweet talking Apple will do to future customers trying to return it (probably "hey, take the case and we'll give you ANOTHER 30 days to return it...pretty please?").

3)The iPhone 3GS has been for sale for 9+ months...with a return rate of 6%...iPhone 4 has been for sale for 22 days and a return rate of 0.55%...you can't compare these 2 percentages. Let's hear what Apple has to say 9 months from now on iPhone 4 returns.

Hey, I like the iPhone 4 (I have the 3GS)...but today's PR was just simply a rehash of Apple's "return it if you don't like it" policy and Apple will waive the restocking fee. Oh, and you also get a free bumper/case that costs Apple about $3 to produce. And did you see/hear how many times Apple said they love their customers? I'm sure that's true...but this workaround a)hides the sexiness of the new iPhone 4G and b)doesn't fix the root cause of the problem (poor design).

How the iPhone 4 shipped with this problem is a matter Apple is furious about...and is doing a great job belittling it. You can't tell me all the developers/testers/beta users/etc. didn't notice this problem. Not a single person?

My gut says that within a few months there will be some kind of recall or even a very very very quiet Rev2. Personally I don't understand why my finger located over a spot kills the reception...but put a piece of rubber between my finger and the same spot and it all works fine.

-Eric

lewisdorigo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Ayrshire, Scotland

-Eric
0.55% was the percentage of iPhone 4 owners who called AppleCare regarding the antenna or other reception issues.

1.7% was the percentage of iPhone 4s (in US, on AT&T) that was returned. Both this figure, and the 6% of iPhone 3GS were the "early sales" - ergo, within the first month or so.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Ultimately, the "fix" will be to simply reconfigure the X spot to the upper part of the phone rather than the lower left.

Jobs convincingly showed all smart phones have this issue and that the iPhone 4 simply makes it easy for more people to find. I also think his dropped call analysis is spot on.

blubyu

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
With misquotes like these it is very easy to see how the hysteria grows :(

-Eric

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Ultimately, the "fix" will be to simply reconfigure the X spot to the upper part of the phone rather than the lower left.

Jobs convincingly showed all smart phones have this issue and that the iPhone 4 simply makes it easy for more people to find. I also think his dropped call analysis is spot on.
I think the ultimate fix would be to insulate the antenna, so that it cannot be touched.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
Are you kidding? Go away...this is a joke.
This is surely not a joke, the website is theyr website, its the website of sks= switzerlands consumers assurance!

Update: If you still don't believe, here is the link of one of switzerlands most popular newspapers:

http://translate.google.com/transla...20min.ch/digital/dossier/apple/story/23205175 scroll down and you will see this:

"Defective iPhone 4 will not be sold!"

Today, even in this country, the Foundation for Consumer Protection to speak. Managing director Sara Stadler required in a media release: "Swisscom, Orange and Sunrise have to launch the iPhone 4 delay such until it is guaranteed that no defective equipment" will be delivered. She believes that it would be "absolutely shock end to bring a product to market, the experts and U.S. consumer organizations judged as defective." How Stalder and the providers who will respond to Apple's announcement today was not to bring so far in experience .

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
3 million sold? wow. I guess that's why apple didn't want to reimburse 3rd party case. Imagine 1,000,000 case x $29. That's $29million apple will have to write off. And imagine bring them a receipt of $99 for a case to be reimbursed. lol

tmoerel

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
3 million sold? wow. I guess that's why apple didn't want to reimburse 3rd party case. Imagine 1,000,000 case x $29. That's $29million apple will have to write off. And imagine bring them a receipt of $99 for a case to be reimbursed. lol
If you had listened to what Steve says you would have heard that the price of a bumper will be refunded. Not more!

tmoerel

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
This is surely not a joke, the website is theyr website, its the website of sks= switzerlands consumers assurance!

Update: If you still don't believe, here is the link of one of switzerlands most popular newspapers:

http://translate.google.com/transla...20min.ch/digital/dossier/apple/story/23205175 scroll down and you will see this:

"Defective iPhone 4 will not be sold!"
In the original text it says the the "Defective iPhone 4 SHOULD not be sold!". Looks like google translate is not perfect :)

Also the SKS is a non-profit organisation with no legal power. They cannot stop iPhone sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.