Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildwillis

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
I have a black phone so it's kinda hard to tell, but there is a bit of a black border around my screen in the case(I have the white case).

Thanks a lot for checking! I think I remember that as well but I wasn't sure. I had the white one and returned it due to the bulk (and price). After trying the Atlas and previously the Lifeproof I'm finding that I'm more & more impressed with the Armor. The Amazon price is making it a bit more appealing but I just can't decide if I can deal with the bulk of that thing on a daily basis.

Rarely do I actually need something totally waterproof, but my track record with iPhones suggests I should prioritize protection even when I don't expect to need it. I was slow to get a case for my first iPhone (a 3GS) and shattered the screen dropping it on a driveway the first month I had it. I dropped the next one in a full beer at a football game a few months later and then managed to run my iPhone 4 over with the SUV last summer. An Armor would likely have saved all 3 of these phones so maybe walking around with a "fat pocket" is worth it...

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
Yikes!

See, I have really big hands so its actually easier for me to hold onto the Armor than the naked iPhone lol.

I had a really small oil slick appear today after I removed the case and put it back on. I guess I left some oil somewhere. I took it out and wiped down the phone's screen and the inside of the screen protector with an alcohol pad followed by a microfiber cloth. Problem solved.

That's I'd awesome to hear. Maybe my case had the design defect? It's funny too bc I just went into the AT&T store today to check if they released any of the "improved" batches and they were asking me what the problem was with the first case. I told them that it was the sound problem and they actually said there were multiple customers who returned theirs bc of that...idk. Could you try it out again in a environment with more noises around?

I was able to try a few calls at work today and sound quality is still great. Honestly, I can barely tell there's a case on the phone sound-wise.

Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Looks like this case is the easiest case out of the lot to put the phone in and out? Is that right? Will it survive taking the phone in and out a couple of times a week?

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
Yeah, it's as quick as popping the latches open/closed. That's one of my favorite parts of this case.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Yeah, it's as quick as popping the latches open/closed. That's one of my favorite parts of this case.

thanks, have you had a defender? does the home button feel similar. I have to order online so can't test in a shop.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
thanks, have you had a defender? does the home button feel similar. I have to order online so can't test in a shop.

No, sorry. This is my first iPhone since the 3G and I didn't even have an Otterbox back then.

However, the home button is very responsive, just a little bit stiff. I can still double click it just fine, if a bit slower.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011

I have the defender for the iPhone 5 as well as the armor. The feel of the home button is similar between the two cases, but I like the armor's better because it covers the entire button instead of just the 3/4 cover on the defender. The take about the same amount of pressure, but the armor's feels a little smaller. It's not recessed either. None of these things make it better or worse, just different. Again, I like the home button feel (and screen feel) of the armor better.

ROGERWILCO357

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Michigan
nice

now i have both also one covers everything buttons and has its own screen protector built in the other not so hard core put that on the wires iphone5 and she says the power button is to hard to use with this case where mine isn’t ..which is the hard core the defender?

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
now i have both also one covers everything buttons and has its own screen protector built in the other not so hard core put that on the wires iphone5 and she says the power button is to hard to use with this case where mine isn’t ..which is the hard core the defender?

Not sure I understand the question correctly, but the armor is a more hard core case, mostly because of the waterproof, dustproof and crush proof protection it has over the defender. As far as the lock/power button goes, the defender's is a tiny bit easier to press, but the armor's is by no means hard to press.

I also keep meaning to say that I like the armor better for one other reason, which is that the mute switch is accessible without having to open any ports.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I got to try my phone in one today in a shop.

I found the charge ports hard to open probably as it was new, same with the 2 clips but i have no fingernails, i cut the one off my defender so i could use on a dock.

They are heavier probably a case you carry or leave lying around not in your pocket.

The mute and volume switches felt a bit stiff but again probably cause new.

The home button felt good not as squishy as the defender, and the screen protector was as good as you could ever get in a enclosed case. Perfect i thought.

Looks good and feels good to hold like the defender.

So now its black/lime or white/black/blue?

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
So now its black/lime or white/black/blue?

I originally got the white/blue, but I went and exchanged it for the green one yesterday.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't mind sticking the armor in my pocket. It's only a hair bigger than the Trident aegis case I had on my android phone.

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
I wanted Atlas case but reading that they all have issues with sound I ordered Armor, black and orange. Hope it works ok, I don't mind the bulk. I wil post my impressions.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I wanted Atlas case but reading that they all have issues with sound I ordered Armor, black and orange. Hope it works ok, I don't mind the bulk. I wil post my impressions.

Only issues of the Armor is the plastic screen protector being the same as the Otterbox Defender (slight chance of oil slick effect) and the added bulk.

Both can be taken care of if you can control your OCD on the oil slick and accept the additional bulk as a benefit for having a really tough f'n case.

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
i have not gotten an oil slick yet on my armor, just fyi for anyone worried about it. i have had it since released also.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Oil slicks are fixed on the OB defender by cleaning the inside and the phone with eye glass cleaner. Never have them. I thought the defender screen protector was great. The armor i tried yesterday was even better.

93MPH

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2008
Does the built-in screen protector pop off like the Defender's? I want to keep the feel of my glass.Tr.

I don't mind it being un-waterproof as a result.

Bobosouch

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Does the built-in screen protector pop off like the Defender's? I want to keep the feel of my glass.Tr.

I don't mind it being un-waterproof as a result.

No, it lines the entire inside of the case. You would ruin the case.

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
has anyone problem with the proximity sensor? Mine is not working when in the Armor case. Any solution?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
has anyone problem with the proximity sensor? Mine is not working when in the Armor case. Any solution?

None here. You sure it's the case? Maybe try it without. Or make sure the sensor window is clean and unobstructed.

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Huh! I read somewhere that they used a black sharpie to paint the whole on the case to fix this issue so I figured to try to put a piece of electrical tape over the sensor itself (on the phone) and it worked! Go figure :D

Ajaredic

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
OtterBox Armor iPhone 5 Case in the House with pictures !

Funny thing, when I put my finger over the sensor it works, but when I put it on my ear during the call ithe screen stays on :/

vajeff

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
My favorite out of the three I have had by far. I loved my LP for my 4S, hated the one for the 5. Sound quality on both ends of a phone conversation were not good. Although I could live with it for the waterproof features, oil slicks were pretty bad.

I tried the Obex, and same sound issues with the Fre. Although, there were no oil slicks! Was never crazy about how the mute switch was covered on it either.

I have had the Armor for two weeks.

Pros:
- No complaints on sound quality on either end, people I am talking too have said conversations are just fine.
- the latches make it feel more secure.
- the latches also make it much easier to take the case on and off. Nice if you sometimes switch to a different case at times (I do with a battery case).
- all port covers are connected to the case, no screwed in parts to lose.
- definitely the most sturdy feeling of the cases.

Cons:
- bulky - I can definitely live with this one for all the pros. It still fits just fine in my pockets.
- thin membrane covering the speaker at the bottom. Not a con if you are aware and careful. I discovered last night that if you do not pay attention when plugging lighting cord in that you can easily puncture this membrane. I thought I might of, and took the phone out (easy to do with the latches) to do another water test. Sure enough, the paper towel i placed in the area of the membrane was wet.
- a few very small oil slicks have occurred. Taking phone out and cleaning with lens cleaner does help. I also do keep my screen protector on the phone since I do switch between cases with the battery case.

I will keep this case, actually the replacement one from Amazon. Getting it in orange now, $10 less than the green. I am fine with either color.

Please take away that speaker membrane con. It is good in the fact it allows sound through pretty good. But just light enough you can puncture it, be aware! I know I will from now on, lesson learned. When ports are all closed it is protected pretty good too, I am not to concerned about it then. Another thing to check is to make sure it is always taut, and does not appear to have an indentation. If it does, water test it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.