Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockey17

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I've been using it a while now. One thing I'm noticing is there is a slight gap between the screen on the phone and the screen on the case. It often means I have to tap a little more than usual. But I've not had any rainbow slicks. I would obviously prefer not having either issue but I'll tap a bit if it means not having to deal with rainbow slicks.

Other than the slight loss of screen senstivity I'm still loving every other aspect of this case.

Still need to do my water test though...

I ended up returning mine b/c I couldn't get used to the gap. Other than that, it is a great case. My first one failed the water test. just be sure to test it without your phone first. It'll float, just put a mug or something on it to hold it down!
hope it passes for you.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I'll be returning mine as well. Overall I liked it better than the LP, but i just can't get used to all the missed key presses, especially the "A" and the shift key. Odd that I have no issues with the "L" key.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Did the water test, failed. When I moved the case around in the water I could see bubbles coming out of the speaker grill on the headphone side. If I applied slight pressure there were quite a few bubbles coming out. When I opened the case there was some water, not much, probably not enough to damage the phone. I don't ever plan on intentionally submerging my phone so I'm not sure I'm going to go through the trouble of swapping it out. I probably will though, just for piece of mind, in case there's ever an accident. I paid for a waterproof case, might as well make sure I get one. :)

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Not to mention that if it isn't waterproof, it probably isn't going to be truly dustproof either. Not sure what your primary reason for getting the Armor was, but that would matter to me.

shasty0214

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
hooterville i saw you mentioned you might switch back to the lunatik case. was just curious if you ended up switching back to that case and if you took your armor back.
thanks

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
hooterville i saw you mentioned you might switch back to the lunatik case. was just curious if you ended up switching back to that case and if you took your armor back.
thanks

I have my phone in the Lifeproof Fre, flat dark earth (oil slick city model) now. I'm waiting on Lunatik to ship me a new back panel with the camera holes in the right place and then I'll put my phone back into the Extreme. :p

I'm holding off ordering the Atlas until they open up some better colors besides the ugly dark gray. :rolleyes:
I still have the Armor but I'm pretty much done with it. :mad:

shasty0214

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
I have my phone in the Lifeproof Fre, flat dark earth (oil slick city model) now. I'm waiting on Lunatik to ship me a new back panel with the camera holes in the right place and then I'll put my phone back into the Extreme. :p

I'm holding off ordering the Atlas until they open up some better colors besides the ugly dark gray. :rolleyes:
I still have the Armor but I'm pretty much done with it. :mad:

Oh total bummer. I run heavy equipment all day for my work and I'm incredibly picky about my phone cases and I've been stuck between the taktik and the armor. I do work in the rain alot and also plow snow. Also terrible at deciding on which $100 case to get haha

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Did the water test, failed. When I moved the case around in the water I could see bubbles coming out of the speaker grill on the headphone side. If I applied slight pressure there were quite a few bubbles coming out. When I opened the case there was some water, not much, probably not enough to damage the phone. I don't ever plan on intentionally submerging my phone so I'm not sure I'm going to go through the trouble of swapping it out. I probably will though, just for piece of mind, in case there's ever an accident. I paid for a waterproof case, might as well make sure I get one. :)

Second one did the exact same thing when I applied slight pressure to the front and back. Maybe you're not supposed to do that. With the phone in the case there wouldn't be as much give. I thought using the phone underwater (pushing the home button, taking a picture, etc.) would cause the same thing, to a lesser degree, though maybe not.

I'm just going to keep this one. Like I said, I don't ever plan on intentionally submerging it and I definitely believe it will keep the phone safe if I happen to drop it a few feet of water for a minute or two.

Still a huge fan of the case. Not for everyone but I love it.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Oh total bummer. I run heavy equipment all day for my work and I'm incredibly picky about my phone cases and I've been stuck between the taktik and the armor. I do work in the rain alot and also plow snow. Also terrible at deciding on which $100 case to get haha

The Armor would be fine for your kind of work. The Taktik is not waterproof and the plastic bezels scratch very easy. The TakTik is a nicer looking case but will not keep the elements from your phone.

The Atlas case should be out soon.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Just picked up the Armor. First impression is that it's quite nice; not nearly as big as the photos make it look (big, but not huge). I'm not terribly concerned about it being water proof, I just need it to be toddler proof (impact, drool, dirt, etc.). I don't find the edges sharp at all (as others had mentioned).

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Just picked up the Armor. First impression is that it's quite nice; not nearly as big as the photos make it look (big, but not huge). I'm not terribly concerned about it being water proof, I just need it to be toddler proof (impact, drool, dirt, etc.). I don't find the edges sharp at all (as others had mentioned).

Same here, needed the drool / toddler proof case.

shasty0214

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
The Armor would be fine for your kind of work. The Taktik is not waterproof and the plastic bezels scratch very easy. The TakTik is a nicer looking case but will not keep the elements from your phone.

The Atlas case should be out soon.
I looked at the atlas but I'm very discouraged by the way the charging door and headphone port work. I listen to music all day insted of wearing ear plugs haha I'm not so much drawn by the waterproof just something robust that can take a beating and keep going. Tired of cleaning the defender out every other day. The used to cover all their ports and now they don't. Total bummer

willcallim

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Armor : the sensor of closeness ?

Hello
Did you notice that the sensor of closeness does not work with the cas Armor?

When I phone the screen not put out(switched off)
Step

Thank you for your answers

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Hello
Did you notice that the sensor of closeness does not work with the cas Armor?

When I phone the screen not put out(switched off)
Step

Thank you for your answers

HUH?

if you are talking about the proximity sensor, i have not had any issues with this

Tennessee Hound

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
I've been workin my armor hard since i got it the o ring is dirty both port plugs are stained its been rained on tossed around on the track hoe and I have to say the armor is mean its what every case should be my phone still works and aint dirty no scratches or dirt inside my case. My metal rattles like I've heard others say. It's metal it makes noise dont be so worry some. In case any one wonders what i do I dig and service graves. If anyone is lookin for a holster check out maxpedition.com.

norwegian wood

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
one thing i have notices with the armor. if if you are using it in a dusty situation, with ear buds or while charging, just will get in the port and under the screen when those doors are open. they need to make a gasket there at those pot openings so just can not get passed those ports. like a gasket in the inside of the case that presses agains the bottom of the phone around those ports.

but if the port flaps are closed nothing gets in and i simply rinse it off i the sink when i come home from work.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Anyone drop theirs yet? I dropped mine from about one foot off the ground and it made a nasty dent in the thin backplate edge. I know the point is to protect the phone, but with a 6' drop rating I didn't think it would dent so easily. I guess that's the weak point of the case as far as drops. I can't imagine any other part getting badly damaged from drops.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Anyone drop theirs yet? I dropped mine from about one foot off the ground and it made a nasty dent in the thin backplate edge. I know the point is to protect the phone, but with a 6' drop rating I didn't think it would dent so easily. I guess that's the weak point of the case as far as drops. I can't imagine any other part getting badly damaged from drops.

Haven't dropped mine yet. If you haven't seen it already you should check out this video... Kid puts the Armor w/ iPhone inside in the washer, dryer, chucks it out his second floor window onto the concrete driveway (twice), and runs it over with his mom's car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fz-M5Mq0Z4

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Haven't dropped mine yet. If you haven't seen it already you should check out this video... Kid puts the Armor w/ iPhone inside in the washer, dryer, chucks it out his second floor window onto the concrete driveway (twice), and runs it over with his mom's car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fz-M5Mq0Z4
Ya that's a good video, but he never shows the damage to the case from the drops. Still, I guess it doesn't matter, it will basically survive anything. It just might look like crap if it takes a fall.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
Great video. Just goes to prove that bored rich kids do have a use.

Talk about an unnecessary cheap shot. Typical Macrumors behavior.

The kid has put up some really good videos for the community yet you **** on him.

The kid put up a good video showcasing the Otterbox Armor's durability. The Armor is the focus of the video and this thread - not the kid or his age or whether he comes from a wealthy family or not.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Talk about an unnecessary cheap shot. Typical Macrumors behavior.

The kid has put up some really good videos for the community yet you **** on him.

The kid put up a good video showcasing the Otterbox Armor's durability. The Armor is the focus of the video and this thread - not the kid or his age or whether he comes from a wealthy family or not.

Yes it was a great video, like i said.

But please get a sense of humor.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
How's everyone's armor holding up?

It's holding up great so far. The Armor has been through a few storms and I have encountered no issues. It went through one bad accidental fall from about five feet and there's no blemishes, cracks, or dents on the case or my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.