Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfeels

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
My white and gray one came via FedEx today and I couldn't be happier. Yes it is a bulky case, but this case will keep your phone fully protected. The home button is definitely a pain but I think it will break in. I don't have one bad thing to say about the case so far

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
now can someone machine up a really neat industrial belt clip for this case maybe made out of lightweight aircraft aluminum !!!!

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
So I have some bad news to report. I am taking back my Otterbox Armor. I was cleaning the screen under the faucet after my daughter was playing with it and I started to dry it off and seen that there was a lot of water behind the screen. I took my phone out immediatly and reinstalled the back cover and tested it under the faucet with out my phone inside it. Low and behold the water was coming through the ear piece. The suade at the top in the inner case was soaked. Not sure if I will exchange it or just get a refund and wait until all these lemons are gone. Please try this out with your cases because I did the water test and it passed. I will probably call otterbox for the hell of it also.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Called my home phone and left a message and it sounded fine. The case is not near as grippy as my Defender so slides in and out of pockets easier. It also slides easier on counter tops unless screen is face down. My Defender stuck to wherever I set it down. The back of the case is larger than the front so when it's on it's back on a table it's slightly pyramid shaped. Because of this I notice the back ridges more while holding it. It actually feels better in my hand with the screen facing my palm. Seems to me it would have been better to have it just the opposite. Maybe they felt thumb texting was easier this way. Phone is not loose inside case at all. Screen is very responsive and the home button works fine. Seems like a good case. A hundred is a bit steep.

There does appear to be a slight gap between the front screen cover and the iPhone screen. It might be possible to have a screen saver that partially covers the iPhone screen and still fit inside. The top and bottom of the front of the phone rides on a slight cushion.

When installing I found sliding in the mute side first so it engages the rubber mute toggle works best.

Wildwillis

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
It will not be in any other stores besides AT&T and Otterbox.com. It is an AT&T Exclusive.

Thanks. I noticed on the Otterbox site that they only mention AT&T. Also noticed that this appears to be the only case that won't allow my normal 50% AT&T Premiere discount (through my work). Bummer (although I'm on Verizon anyway so I'd have to get a co-worker with an AT&T plan to buys for me anyway).

----------

Called my home phone and left a message and it sounded fine. The case is not near as grippy as my Defender so slides in and out of pockets easier. It also slides easier on counter tops unless screen is face down. My Defender stuck to wherever I set it down. The back of the case is larger than the front so when it's on it's back on a table it's slightly pyramid shaped. Because of this I notice the back ridges more while holding it. It actually feels better in my hand with the screen facing my palm. Seems to me it would have been better to have it just the opposite. Maybe they felt thumb texting was easier this way. Phone is not loose inside case at all. Screen is very responsive and the home button works fine. Seems like a good case. A hundred is a bit steep.

There does appear to be a slight gap between the front screen cover and the iPhone screen. It might be possible to have a screen saver that partially covers the iPhone screen and still fit inside. The top and bottom of the front of the phone rides on a slight cushion.

When installing I found sliding in the mute side first so it engages the rubber mute toggle works best.

...and thanks for the updates on the screen protector as well. Might pick one up tomorrow to give it a try. I agree though that $100 is pretty steep so I'm not sure I'm convinced yet. Really wish the Atlas was coming out before my ski trip in a couple of weeks...

bfeels

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Pic of the white?!?

I'll have mine Monday hopefully but would love to see it!

F0803097-BD60-4D57-8A65-16905EB44FEE-1346-000000616C530E80.jpg

4EC59DCB-2523-4A77-B5A5-3D353BFDDF31-1346-000000616E1B65D8.jpg
34A94980-09E4-4A94-92BD-677DE2E3D96B-1346-000000616F84E8AF.jpg

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
So I have some bad news to report. I am taking back my Otterbox Armor. I was cleaning the screen under the faucet after my daughter was playing with it and I started to dry it off and seen that there was a lot of water behind the screen. I took my phone out immediatly and reinstalled the back cover and tested it under the faucet with out my phone inside it. Low and behold the water was coming through the ear piece. The suade at the top in the inner case was soaked. Not sure if I will exchange it or just get a refund and wait until all these lemons are gone. Please try this out with your cases because I did the water test and it passed. I will probably call otterbox for the hell of it also.

Did the membrane covering the hole get ripped or something?

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Has anyone else noticed the camera and flash holes don't seem to line up quite right on the back. It doesn't seem to affect pictures, it is just off center which is kind of strange.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012

Wow, That sucks. Maybe I'll retest mine. Let us know what Otterbox says?

----------

Has anyone else noticed the camera and flash holes don't seem to line up quite right on the back. It doesn't seem to affect pictures, it is just off center which is kind of strange.

Mine is off center also.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
I like the the feel of my Defender in my hand better than my Armor, the sides taper opposite of each other. I'm not sure I like that the back of the Armor is slick and can slide so easily for an everyday case. Really thought this case might be the one. At $100 I expect it to be more than a speciality case for occasional use. I think OtterBox compromised a bit on the design to get the crush rating which doesn't make sense to me since the screen is the weakest link and and unless the force is applied evenly or just right the phone will be damaged.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Bought one and it went back right away, could not get the mute switch to work and the right side would not seal right. Even the guys at AT&T could not make it work. It is a real brick, too big for me :(

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Outdoor activities? Like what? Outdoor work? Leave it inside your car or use BT while pocket. Underwater? Go to best buy and you can find cheap camera that are waterproof.. My god iPhone 5 with the ridiculous thickness..

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Bought one and it went back right away, could not get the mute switch to work and the right side would not seal right. Even the guys at AT&T could not make it work. It is a real brick, too big for me :(

Same for me. Mute switch wouldn't work properly and wouldn't seal correctly

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Has anyone else started to notice that oil slicks are starting to show up? When I purchased the case on Wednesday the screen was perfect. I think it's starting to settle and show the slicks. Very depressing.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone else started to notice that oil slicks are starting to show up? When I purchased the case on Wednesday the screen was perfect. I think it's starting to settle and show the slicks. Very depressing.

Well that sucks. So far mine is OK. I was thinking about putting my phone back into the Taktik Extreme.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I have no idea what I'm going to do. If I have to deal with the screen I might just go back to life proof. At least it's a lot slimmer.

hozay09

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
This is an interesting case and not for the average user. First off the case is indeed a monster of a case. Very bulky, solid, heavy and aggressive looking. It does provide ample protection for drops and rough handling but I would not trust this case in water. No way, no how.

Why? First of all anyone that has experience with Otterbox cases will know how durable the surrounding gel is. Over time the gel becomes worn and loose almost 99% of the time. The port covers DO NOT snap in or screw in like other waterproof cases (Lifeproof being an excelent example). That, to me, is a major issue. You have to securely push in the headphone and charge port covers and even then it does not feel secure enough.

I also had a hinge fall off the iPhone 4/4s version on me while testing it out. It literally came off in my hand. Does not feel well built..

I would steer caution on this case.. at $99 it is a questionable investment.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
This is an interesting case and not for the average user. First off the case is indeed a monster of a case. Very bulky, solid, heavy and aggressive looking. It does provide ample protection for drops and rough handling but I would not trust this case in water. No way, no how.

Why? First of all anyone that has experience with Otterbox cases will know how durable the surrounding gel is. Over time the gel becomes worn and loose almost 99% of the time. The port covers DO NOT snap in or screw in like other waterproof cases (Lifeproof being an excelent example). That, to me, is a major issue. You have to securely push in the headphone and charge port covers and even then it does not feel secure enough.

I also had a hinge fall off the iPhone 4/4s version on me while testing it out. It literally came off in my hand. Does not feel well built..

I would steer caution on this case.. at $99 it is a questionable investment.

Looks like most of the reviews say otherwise.

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
i like this case a lot so far. the only thing that would make me not like it is if it develops oil slicks. im really hoping they arent all going to do that. however, especially compared with lifeproof, the sound quality is awesome. also i have not had any trouble with calls or facetime at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.