Otterbox Commuter Case - iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by S1njin, Jul 21, 2010.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Lets use this thread to track people's skinny on availability, news, etc. Also, who among us punted on the Defender and is waiting for the Commuter?

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Damn! I thought it was out.:mad:

Don't go teasing me like that!:D

3. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Sorry man. So many people are talking about the Defender, it occurred to me that there are those of us who just want the commuter. Rather than hijack the Defender thread, I thought this made sense.

4. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm waiting on the commuter. The Defender is awfully tempting, considering it's already available to order. I'm impatient like that. :D

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Complete sense. Now tell me it's available!!!:D

Yeah, I was sick of reading the Defender threads, too. That's why this thread got me all worked up.

6. Raegor macrumors member

Can you give me the differences? I see the pics but does this one have a screen as well? If so it looks like it's over the whole front while even the cheaper one has the top and bottomed cased.

7. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I'm the same way. In fact I almost ordered it yesterday but the system bombed out. In retrospect I'm glad it did.

8. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Considering the Defender case has 'more to it' I'd imagine the Commuter can't be all that far behind? Unless they only have 1 engineering team and now that the Defender is completed they've moved onto the Commuter.

I'm rocking a Speck Pixelskin in the interim.

9. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

10. UAL Kingpin macrumors newbie

I am waiting on the Commuter as well. I work a blue collar job, so I need a case that offers more protection than a standard case. At the same time, I don't need the tank like protection of the Defender.

11. hipvamore macrumors regular

12. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

Waiting. Defender is too thick. I need something that won't look like a book in my pocket, yet provides adequate drop protection.

13. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

So far my email to that ebay vendor has gone unanswered.

14. Ben17 macrumors member

Don't you think the eBay one is obviously fake if it's not even out yet?

15. Orlandorealtor macrumors regular

Orlandorealtor

I don't believe this guy has these in stock. He says in his listing they are Otterbox. Probably taking orders hoping Otterbox gets them in, in time for him to ship.Maybe Otterbox gave him a tentative delivery date and he is going by that.

16. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Given the lack of response I figure is either somebody w/ inside knowledge that the commuter is close to release or COMPLETE bs.

I'm not that hard up for a case, so I'll wait.

17. allklr macrumors newbie

i ordered yesterday on ebay than got an e-mail today saying that they are receiving them in 3-6 days. So I just cancelled on them

18. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I'm also waiting on the Otterbox Commuter. I like the fact the the Commuter has a plastic outer shell with the silicone on the inside... rather than the silicone on the outside of the Defender.

19. MiRod407 macrumors member

I don't know if anybody has noticed this before but the pictures on the Otterbox site seem to have been updated for the commuter and for the $20 model.

20. Kentobentos macrumors member

That looks suweeet!! I had the defender on my 3G and as much as it protected my phone well it was too bulky for front pocket carry as well as too grippy. Also I took it out of the case every weekend and it eventually cracked under the repeated stress. This is the case I have finally decided on.

21. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Many beat me to the punch w/ the picture update.

Hopefully we can order soon !!! :cool:

22. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

Good to see real pics instead of renders - I feared the commuter would be bulky, somehow, but it appears to compare well with my current bumper.

On that note, as much as I love the bumper, it is form over protection, so will be ordering the second this is available - hopefully today?!? Fingers crossed.

The only thing I'll miss about my bumper (apart from the colour :D) are the metal buttons. I've been thinking about this crazy idea of removing them from the bumper , cutting the silicon commuter buttons out, and inserting the panels...? If you have a bumper, you'll see what I mean.

I plan to get another commuter anyway when more colours come available, but if I do do this, i'll post some pics.

23. Knightshade macrumors member

Am I correct in reading the description as it's going to have a screen protector you have to apply with adhesive? (rather than the defender where it's built into the case itself, no adhesive involved?).

I was really hoping this case was going to be a less insanely massive version of the defender, ie full-body protection without adhesive but without the clip and less bulky overall... but if this is yet another back/sides only case that adds a glue-on screen protector I'm gonna have to keep looking :(