Otterbox Defender for New iPad (compatible with iPad 2)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by iamthekiller, Mar 8, 2012.

1. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

2. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

3. BESLC macrumors regular

Ordered one as well. I had been searching for a case that would offer protection and function. I have had a couple of close calls with my first generation Ipad,don't want to go down that road again with the new Ipad.

4. Db9938 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It does look different than the previous ipad2 defender, but still not as beefy as the iPad 1 defender.

I may pull the trigger on this one, but only after I hear more about it, to replace my design flawed iPad 2 case. I am really skeptical at this point.

5. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I thought the last one for the ipad was so bad I would probably never purcahse another one.....especially not at that price. Amazon will have it for way less any day now!

6. Db9938 macrumors member

If lifeproof could ever finally deliver a product, I am really tempted to give them a chance, considering my last otterbox experience.

If otterbox ever want to regain any sort of creditability in my eyes, they would buy it back.

7. revenent, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

revenent macrumors regular

I totally agree with that. When i got the iPad 2 case from Otterbox, i felt like i was beta testing the case for them to see if it works.

I have the Defender for iPhone 4. It is terrible tool. When the iPhone 4 White became available, and Otterbox had a design change, i bought one for my wife and noticed that the silicon material has changed to something much more rigid. Darn....i wish buyers like us were entitled to design or specification changes as a free upgrade instead of having to try their gen 1 followed by gen 2 and numerous trials and errors and worse. Purchase a totally new and redesigned case which resolves some of the idiocracies it had.

8. Gary79 macrumors newbie

Gary79

Otterbox is great for listening to the consumer and tweaking their cases. The new rubber material change that was made between the iPhone 4 and 4S was perfect, less stretchy, more rugged, and much less of a dust magnet.

They are incorporating this new material in the Defender for the new iPad, along with other changes based on complaints. I have a feeling that the new Defender will be a solid case. I will be sure to post my video review when I receive the case tomorrow.

My alternate case will be either the Lexington (the gray is sharp with a white ipad!), or the updated Pixelskin HD (provided they incorporate a closure system that uses magnets and the close to sleep function.

9. revenent macrumors regular

Looking froward to your take on the new version of the defender case for iPad 2 and new gen iPad.

10. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

just got the case today, feels great and looks great...now i just need my new ipad to put in it!

11. revenent macrumors regular

How is the silicon material like now? Is it the same as the current gen iPhone 4S silicon? Stiffer and less prone to dust?

The silicon where the home button area is was very thin and flimsy. Has that been changed now?

I am now split between purchasing a full body protective film wrap with a Apple Smart Cover or give the defender another chance. My current iPad 2 defender is really giving me a bad taste in my mouth....

12. moxier macrumors regular

moxier

Oily Look

I once tried an Otterbox on an iPhone 3 and the screen protector part always had an oily look against the screen... I never was able to rid it of that. Does the iPad ones also do that? :confused:

13. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

i've never had an otterbox for my previous ipads but the silicon does feel stiffer with a tight grip around the case, making it more effective against dust. home button is definitely stiff and not flimsy...seems like its gonna be a great case, it will add a little bulk but you get full body extensive protection. won't bother me much

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

and that would be the reason I'd not order. I like it better not coming all the way to the screen edge.

15. xraytech, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

Should be getting mine ahead of my iPad.

Yeah, never understood why the previous version did not cover the whole bezel.

Edit: Check the tracking, it should be in today. Photos to follow...

16. Db9938 macrumors member

They may listen to the complaints, but that still does not excuse the inferior design/quality of a product that costs as much as it does.

Seconds, after installing my IPad2 defender, I was emailing their customer service offering pictures, detailing my complaints. I did, and they offered a replacement..... of the same thing.

I did my best at biting my tongue, and asked the person on the other end, why would I want to replace a faulted design with a faulted design?

Eventually, a month later, their faulted design failed. The inner topside, plastic shell had a weak spot, in a corner near the home button. And they did replace that one, with pictures of the failure.

I have owned six different otterbox products over the years. Numerous family members have bought otterbox products, as well. This product, was flawed from jump, as compared to the many other products and lines that I have seen, felt, and dropped first hand.

I do hope that they have corrected the problems with this new case, but I will always be skeptical after the IPad2 defender case that was delivered to my door.

17. Maritan macrumors regular

As an alternate, how about the Seidio Active? I'm going back and forth between the Seidio and the Otterbox...

18. Db9938 macrumors member

The seidio looks interesting, but not as protective against ipad1 defender, or the lifeproof.

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's about time we started to see ipad3 cases but I don't want a Defender on my 3. Got one for my 4S but it's way over the top for an iPad that never gets used outdoors. It's a good sign though, maybe Griffin will come to the party now in the UK.

20. Db9938 macrumors member

I do have a question, when you finally get it in our hands. Do the camera ports have a membrane covering, similar to the screen?

And does anyone have an idea as to why the front facing camera hole, has such a peculiar cut-out?

I know that there is probably a light sensor above or below the camera lens, but the lens is nearly centered in that cut out. Leaving a lot of room north and south of it......?

21. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

there is no membrane cover for the camera slots..and i would assume that the peculiar cut for the front camera is probably due to a light sensor

22. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

IF I did spring for the Defender for iPad I would remove their plastic screen cover (easily done) and put on either a Power Support Crystal shield or SGP Crystal. That's what I did with my iPhone 4S Otterbox Defender and it is PERFECT!

23. iamthekiller thread starter macrumors 6502a

The built-in screen protector on the new defender case is terrible. The first thing I did was punch that stupid thing out. I had to use nailpolish remover to get rid of the glue around the inner bezel. That was a pain in the ass.

The silicon is now like the iphone 4s defender case.

Don't even think about using a lifeproof case, if it ever comes out. That was the ultimate tupperware joke of a case when I tried for the iphone 4.

24. Db9938 macrumors member

Just curious if you could elaborate as to what it was about the lifeproof case, that make you feel that way?

25. xraytech, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

After two iterations of this case, Otterbox finally got it right.

The 1st gen Defender had fit issues around the ambient light sensor causing the screen to distort. Also the silicon skin was a dust magnet.

The 2nd gen Defender, some genius decided to not cover the whole bezel.

In this iteration of the Defender, the fit is perfect despite the fact that it fits the iPad 2 and The new IPad. AND it's a whole lot easier to install compared to the 1st & 2nd gen Defenders. The bezel covers all four sides, THANK YOU!!! The silicone skin is less tacky so it attracts less dust, THANK YOU FOR THAT TOO. It does have a integrated screen protector and for some that will be a plus and some a minus. Minus because some people run into that "Oil Slick" effect. Right now as I type this review I have no such "Oil Slick" effect.

The one gripe I have is the Home Button is really really stiff. You have to really lean on it to actuate the Home Button underneath. Easily fixed though, I took a strip of paper and folded it into a square and place it under the tab.

Like any case in this category, it will add considerable bulk to the iPad. But if you want above average drop protection this case is the one.