Otterbox Preserver Waterproof case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 6thDAY, Oct 15, 2013.

1. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Cool a Lifeproof case for the 5s…….now I can replace my Fre.

3. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Otter box bought Lifeproof but it's weird because based on their comments, it would appear that they are working on their own waterproof case to support touch ID

So I don't think Lifeproof made this, but may be part of the design.

I'm curious to know what they come up with.

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

...was a half a$$ed attempt at humor, apparently.

5. iCET1906 macrumors newbie

I hope that they used some fancy space-age plastic to cover the touch sensor rather than leaving it open :(

6. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry didn't see the sarcasm :D

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

8. mike1111 macrumors member

Does it have an integrated screen protector? Without one this is sadly a no-go for me.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Looking at the third photo on their website yes. Doesn't cover the home button by the look of it.

10. Warcake macrumors regular

It's a waterproof case. Of course it has one. Also, you can see it on the site. Seriously.

11. Jburnette87 macrumors member

Jburnette87

You should probably check out the lifeproof nuud before making such a comment. ;)

12. mike1111, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

mike1111 macrumors member

Maybe you should get informed before talking down to people. There's the well-known waterproof "nuud" series from Lifeproof, that does NOT have an integrated screen protector. And by the way, Lifeproof got bought by Otterbox.

Here's the Lifeproof nuud for the iPhone 5 (NO screen protector):
    [​IMG]

And here's the new Otterbox Preserver for iPhone 5:
    [​IMG]

Also nowhere on the Otterbox Preserver for iPhone 5 site does is say anything about a screen protector, the word "screen" does not appear once.

Now, please tell me again that the Preserver MUST have an integrated screen protector, JUST because it's a waterproof case. Seriously.

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Anyone know if the lifeproof 5 cases work with 5s flash/camera? If not will have to wait for this OB.

----------

Again the 3rd photo on their site with no phone in looks like it has a screen protector and a hole for the home button. Have a look.

14. mike1111 macrumors member

Sure, it might have one, but it doesn't have to have one. On the iPhone 5s product page it might look like it has a screen protector in one of the pictures (but nothing mentioned in the text), but on the iPhone 5 product page it doesn't:

[​IMG]

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

So there will be a 5 and 5s one? i would prefer the 5 for my 5s if the camera works. i dont use touch id.

16. mike1111 macrumors member

Looks like the opening for the flash is big enough on the iPhone 5 case. Should be the only possible incompatibility, unless Otterbox was overly precise in their home button implementation (shape and depth are a little different on the 5s). Since the iPhone 5 case is already in stock it won't be too long until we find out.

17. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I can't find the 5 case on their site. Are you saying its already for sale? Ok found it.

18. mike1111 macrumors member

19. Robster3 macrumors 68000

20. mike1111 macrumors member

Otterbox doesn't mention a screen protector in any of the Preserver Series descriptions (but it does mention it for the Armor)... But then there's the press release:

http://media.otterbox.com/press-rel...nes-get-seriously-waterproof-new-otterbox-pro

So, thankfully it has a built-in screen protector. Even though I'm not too happy about the plastic ring around the home button reaching into the screen area, now I'm intrigued. Any word on availability anywhere? Otterbox's site only says "soon", but sometimes press people give tech sites more information...

21. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Works well on my 5s however I really miss being able to unlock it with my thumb when I use it, hence the want for the OB Preserver.

22. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

To me, that is an unforgivable flaw. The pictures Do seem to show that the plastic ring around the touch is sensor extends into the screen area.

23. Hurley82989 macrumors member

i'm really interested in this for the iphone 5.

looks like the bottom has the rubber port covers just like the otterbox armor which is so much more convenient than the screw-in adapter that the lifeproof uses. my lifeproof adapter makes my headphones constantly skip (seems like the connection comes in and out) when i'm walking or working out at the gym and it's driving me nuts.

would really appreciate reviews/comments when someone finally gets their hands on one. thanks!

24. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

never been a fan of these bulky ugly cases but some people need that kind of protection lol

25. ffnc1020 macrumors member

Looks like only iphone5 version is open for purchase now, anyone had ordered one yet?