Otterbox sued for Lying about iphone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marine0816, Oct 8, 2011.

?

Thoughts about Otterbox 4S compatibility

1. Obviously lying so you can buy a New case

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Apple gave them heads up on compatibility issues

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Who cares I'm going to buy a New case regardless

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Otterbox is doing what most companies would do

27 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Otterbox.com on the iPhone 4 case on a iPhone 4S: ''This case does not fit the white iPhone 4 or the iPhone 4S.
    Our iPhone 4S cases do.''

Apple didn't do the Accessory market any good by making the same phone with the same design. Since the iphone has been out for a while now, cell phone cases have significantly dropped in price. I bought a iPhone 4 defender case for $16 on Amazon a couple days ago. I'm Sure a lot of people with iphone 4 cases will use the same for their 4S phones. Which means bad business for companies like Otterbox, because they want you to buy a new product for higher profit margin. But since the new phone is the same old design. Do you think Otterbox would tell their customers that a old iphone 4 case can't fit on a new iphone 4S cause of compatibility issues? We will know by 10/14/11 if the case fits or doesn't... But if it does fit, can Otterbox be sued for false advertisement or something to the matter? Cause the honesty of a company means a lot to me and if I find out that Otterbox intentionally lied to sell a product I won't buy from them again.. Thank you..

iPhone 4
    [​IMG]

iPhone 4S
    [​IMG]

iPhone 4 Defender
    [​IMG]

iPhone 4S Defender
    [​IMG]

LifeProof case with claims same compatibility with 4/4S with same camera opening
    [​IMG]
    'This case does not fit the white iPhone 4 or the iPhone 4S.
    Our iPhone 4S cases do.'

2. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Every Verizon iPhone 4 case should fit the 4S. There are also many cases made to work with AT&T/Verizon iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

3. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

according to Otterbox thats a NO

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Either fits or it doesn't or it's redesigned...

[​IMG]

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

6. LagFighter macrumors regular

You're missing the point.

Also, this is a bad thread. OP, you put a misleading title.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Exactly, in this "case" -- double pun intended.

9. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I did? How?

10. androiphone macrumors 65816

that case make one ugly iPhone.

but as above said the silent switch is different between the iPhone 4 GSM and the iPhone 4S but isn't different between the verizon iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, so some cases for the iPhone 4 won't fit the iPhone 4S.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Sued?
    What makes you think it's false advertisement? They are simply saying that their particular product isn't compatible with the white iPhone. It does appear they have cases that address their concerns of the incompatibility at the same price.

How is that false advertising?

12. rkahl macrumors 65816

So does the Otterbox case for the iPhone 4 (AT&T) work with the new 4S (AT&T) or not? Would be nice to know for a selling advantage on craigslist.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The black iPhone yes, white no

14. LagFighter macrumors regular

The title of the thread is "Otterbox sued for Lying about iphone 4S?", which implies they've already been sued. They haven't been sued, and you only briefly mentioned the possibility of a lawsuit.

That's misleading.

15. androiphone macrumors 65816

well I hate myself for being the grammar police but......

"Otterbox sued for Lying about iphone 4S?"
    for one it doesn't make any sense,
    and it isn't a valid question or a vaild statement,

it should be either:
    "Otterbox sued for Lying about iphone 4S cases" - if it has or is being sued (which it isn't at this time being sued so you would be wrong to word it that way)
    or
    "can Otterbox be sued for Lying about iphone 4S cases?" - in order to make it a valid question

16. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

im sorry. i will turn myself in

17. MNT macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's because of the relocated proximity sensor. Way to jump right to talk of a lawsuit before getting your facts straight though.

18. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

how is the proximity relocated?

iPhone 4
    [​IMG]

Iphone 4S
    [​IMG]

19. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I bought a iPhone 4 defender case from eBay thinking that it would fit the 4S. Also it said that it will fit AT&T and Verizon phones. Is this not the case? Will I have to return the case?

20. rkahl macrumors 65816

What's the difference between white and black besides color?

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I was under the impression the white is a hair thicker than the black.

22. androiphone macrumors 65816

as we all think but no-one will know until we get hands on the iPhone 4S, any case that fits the verizon iphone 4 will work with the iphone 4s,
    only cases that fit very snugly around the gsm iphone 4 mute switch will not fit the iphone 4s

23. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

This whole 4S case thing is weird. From what I know (and correct me if I am wrong) the 4S form factor is going to be exactly the same as Verizon's CDMA iPhone 4, which is different then at&t's GSM model (volume buttons are positioned differently) If that is true, AT&T iPhone 4 cases will not fit the 4S. But when I stopped at AT&T this morning to ask an unrelated question, a guy was stocking the shelf iPhone 4 cases..from 3 or different manufacturers. So i asked him when they expected 4S cases to arrive and he said "their already here...the phone didn't change so all these cases will fit". I said "well I thought the 4S was going to be the same as Verizon's iPhone 4"...he looked at me like I was a joke, smirked and even laughed a bit before saying "u must be a new iPhone user huh?..Verizon doesn't carry a different iPhone 4...Apple makes the phone and Verizon and AT&T just sell it..there is only 1 iPhone 4. And the 4S is the same exact thing which is why all these cases are for both the 4 and the 4S". I said "nope, I am not new to Apple or iPhone and are u serious when u say that Verizon's iPhone 4 is exactly the same as at&t's??..Because they are different. The volume buttons are positioned differently which would be a problem for these cases with volume "buttons" on the side that have to line up exactly to the phone". He looked puzzled and then told me "well, whatever..these iPhone 4 cases will fit the 4S..we had a meeting about it"..

So is this guy dead wrong? He made me question myself because he's been working there since the original iPhone and he seems to have at least some intelligence. I just can't believe he wouldn't know that Verizon's 4 was slightly different. It would have had to come up at some point I would think.

So what's the case (pun intended)? Am I right? (putting proximity sensors aside for the sake of my argument) Verizons iPhone 4 cases will fit and at&t's won't is correct..right?

24. thesiren, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011

thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

I ordered new cases and bumpers thinking it was the same as the iPhone 4!!!!! :mad: