Outlook 2007 contact group now supported!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Island Dog, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Finally! For those of us who use Outlook 2007 you probably know that the iPhone didn't support having different contact groups.

Well the iTunes update seemed to have fixed it, so now you should have you contact groups listed in the iPhone.

:)

2. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I am a little slow :rolleyes: Do you mean contact groups I have set up for email or something else. Probably a dumb question but I asked anyway. :eek:

3. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

where exactly are you seeing this? mine arent showing up.

4. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

If you use Outlook 2007, you can have separate groups of contacts. One say for personal use, and another labeled for work which contains only the specified contacts. The iPhone would only import all the contacts into one long list.

When I updated iTunes this morning, the groups appeared in my iPhone.

Attached Files:

5. ne0star macrumors regular

Well spotted I was disapointed this wasn't available when I first got my iphone.

6. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

thanks, got it. I dont use this feature in outlook though. I have always assigned a category, guess I will have to go thru all 2500 contacts and reassign them.

I wish they supported distribution lists though, where you have one contact name (for example "work") that sends an email to all your co-workers, etc.

7. infiniti macrumors newbie

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I add groups in Outlook 2007?

8. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I was to, but at least they fixed it.

In the contacts tab, just right-click and create a new group, then create a new contact folder and drag it to there. Or you can just create a new contact folder, but I found it easier to organize with the groups.

:)

9. infiniti macrumors newbie

I see. But it's strange that iTunes 7.6 still wont show the other groups I made and I can't get them to sync to the iPhone.:confused:

10. bRILLZ macrumors newbie

The group setup isn't as intuitive as I would have expected. In Outlook 2007 the "Contacts" group is not the same as the iTunes "All Contacts" sync group.

On the PC, Outlook 2007 "Contacts" is a separate group.

In iTunes "All Contacts" syncs all of the contact groups. If there are any duplicate contacts, e.g., contacts in your "Family" group also in your "Contacts" group, you'll end up with duplicate listings in the iPhone. Additionally, "Contacts" does not show up as a choice in "Selected groups"

My workaround was to copy all from the "Contacts" group to a new "iPhone Contacts" group, then in iTunes select "Selected groups" and check the "iPhone Contacts" and "Family" groups. On sync, "Contacts" is synced correctly (even though there in no check box available) along with the "Family" group. "New contacts created on iPhone..." now go to "iPhone Contacts" as there is no choice available for "Contacts"

Now I have to be certain to use the "iPhone Contacts" group in Outlook as my primary contacts group, as the "Contacts" group will not be updated with changes made on the iPhone.

Confusing enough? Any other suggestions?

11. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I just created a new group called "My Contacts", moved the contacts from "Contacts" to that folder, and erased the original.

12. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I just noticed the groups were supported. Previously I kept my stuff separated by having groups for everything I didn't want on the iPhone and my personal contacts just stayed in the default "Contacts" group. It sucks that Apple didn't add this to their group choices and default it as the only one chosen for those of us already using it. I went to make a call this weekend and had way more contacts than I was expecting.

Anyone know what happens if you choose to Sync Contacts of "Selected groups:" but then don't select anything? Maybe this is the equivalent of the old functionality, but when I first tried it, nothing happened, so I created a new group like you did and moved the Contacts there.

Now if only Outlook would stop scaling down my Contact Images to a thumbnail because it's tedious to sync images to the iPhone and then add them to the contact on the phone before syncing back to Outlook.

13. anon2828 macrumors newbie

Please HELP!!

How do you do this?

I have 1.1.3 on my iPhone, iTunes 7.6 and Outlook 2007 on my PC.

No matter what I do, I can't choose "Selected Groups" or "Selected Calendars" - both choices are grayed out - and I do have multiple calendars and contact groups in Outlook.

Why don't the groups show up in iTunes (like the screenshot above) - what am I doing wrong? I called Apple and they said that this is not supported on the PC, but obviously it is (from above)...

14. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

anon2828:

Do you have you contact groups like this in Outlook?

Attached Files:

15. anon2828 macrumors newbie

Yes exactly as you show it. But it doesn't show up in ITUnes. I am using pc outlook 2007 on xp. Any help is appreciated.

16. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up. I would do a restore of my iPhone and sync from scratch.

17. se419 macrumors newbie

Issues syncing iPhone using Window Vista and Outlook 2007

Hi there,

Thanks for the great info above - I wish was helping...

I've been having really strange (and problematic) sync issues and wondering if anyone can help.

Ever since moving to Windows Vista and Office 2007 I've been having issues syncing my iPhone. Everythign was working fine on Windows XP and OUtlook 2003.

Initially, after moving to Vista, the issue was that syncing did not update contacts or calendar items unless I checked the boxes to overwrite contacts and calendar items on iPhone (bottom of the iTunes, iPhone, Info Screen).

Then recently I saw that I had a ton of duplicate contacts and saw that in sync info settings I had a list of my different contact folders (not groups, as I didn't use groups for contacts in Outlook). In a attempt to sync only to 'contacts' (which was not listed as any of the folders - only sub-folders of 'contacts' were listed) I unchecked the 'all contacts' box and hit 'sync.'

This wiped all my contacts form the phone, and now I could no longer see any of the contact folder options. I've tried deleting sync history, deleting previouse backups, re-installing iTunes, restoring the iPhone to factory settings, and anything else I can think of (each time I perform one of these options I try to sync the phone) and I have not been able to sync to anything. I have lost all my contacts and calendar items on the phone (although they still exist in Outlook) and I can't get them to the phone regardless of what I try.

When I hit sync, iTunes and the iPhone tell me that a sync is in progress and it takes about 15-20 minutes for iTunes to get through the "Syncing Contacts.." phase and it takes about 20-30 minutes to complete the sync cycle each time. At the end, still nothing on the iPhone, no contacts no events, even though the volume bar at the bottom of iTunes consistently tells me there is about 200MB of "other" data on the iPhone.

If iTunes has lost its connection to Outlook, how can this be restored. Again, I have reinstalled iTunes, restored the iPhone, and tried many other configurations.

Please, Please help!!

18. bRILLZ macrumors newbie

Just to make sure were using the same definitions and configurations, my config: iTunes 7.6.0.29, Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium.

What Outlook calls "Groups" is not what iTunes calls "Groups."
    iTunes Groups are what Outlook calls "Folders."
    Within the Outlook group called "My Contacts" are, on my PC, three folders: Contacts, and two others I've added - iPhone Contacts, and PTA Contacts.

But the "Contacts" folder is the default folder and cannot be deleted. And to add to the confusion, this "Contacts" folder on Outlook is not the same as the "All contacts" button on iTunes. And it doesn't shwo up as an iTunes group.

"All contacts," if the button is selected, will sync all of the folders in the "My Contacts" group - Contacts, iPhone Contacts plus PTA Contacts, including any duplicates.

My setup for a good sync on iTunes:
    Info > Contacts: Check: Sync Contacts with Outlook
    Select: Selected groups:
    Check: iPhone Contacts and Check: PTA Contacts
    Check: Put new contacts on this iPhone into the group iPhone Contacts

Sync for around 300 contacts takes less than 2 minutes.

19. se419 macrumors newbie

No go here

That all sounds great if only I could get my outlook folders to show up in the "selected groups" box on iTunes. I can't get iTunes to sync with contacts, only calendar items and mail. Each time I try to sync contacts end up empty on the phone.

20. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

Don't know what to tell you guys, mine works flawlessly(iPhone 1.1.1, iTunes 7.6, Outlook 2007, XP Pro). Are you sure you're syncing outlook and not Outlook Express or Windows Address book?

21. anon2828 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issues as those reported here. Frustrating that when I call Apple they tell me that groups aren't supported on the PC, only Mac. Meanwhile there is clear evidence here on this board and others that it DOES work.

My setup:

Windows XP SP2
    Outlook 2007 - connected to Exchange server
    Calendar in default group, default name ("Calendar") stored on Exchange
    Contacts in default group, default name ("Contacts") stored in Personal Folders (Personal Folders are in Unicode format - as suggested by Apple support article)

I've tried every combination imaginable of creating folders, groups, copying the default calendar and contacts into the new groups and folders and unfortunately every time I DO NOT have the option to choose "selected groups" or "selected calendars" in iTunes.

Interestingly my calendar does sync (just my personal one - there is another shared calendar that iTunes ignores).

Can anyone describe their setup in detail where it is working?

Are you connected to Exchange (could this be the magic bullet)?
    Do you have multiple Outlook profiles?
    Where are your calendars and contacts stored (Exchange or Personal Folder (locally))??

THANKS!! I want to solve this mystery!!!

22. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I'm connected to Exchange. Have you tried an older version of iTunes before they secretly added the Groups feature to see if your default "Contacts" folder would sync over?

23. theHunter macrumors newbie

I have a new 16gb iPhone with 1.1.3 OTB, WindowsXP, Outlook2003 and iTunes 7.6.0.29 and this feature is available and functions without flaws.
    It does not put the folders in different groups on the phone but it does allow you to select which contacts you want on your phone.

24. anon2828 macrumors newbie

Additional wierdness:

1) On my work PC (XP SP2 with Outlook 2007) the selected contacts and selected calendars option will not show up. This Outlook 2007 installation has been reinstalled, created a new profile, reloaded iTunes - everything I can think of - still the options to select contacts or calendars does not show up.

2) On my home PC (Vista with Outlook 2007) the selected contacts and selected calendars option DOES show up.

What gives?

I've searched the registry for clues to no avail. I continue to see others on other boards and the Apple forums with the same issue.

Any ideas?

25. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog