Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsm81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Hi, I have an old 2007 iMac that I will use as a basic file server. It hasn't really been used for years except for the odd bit of web browsing/online radio in the room it's in. It needs a new HD for sure (very crunchy sounding), which I'll be installing sometime this week. I've noticed though it runs very hot when just switched on and left (I always attributed this to being near a window/sunlight, however this isn't the case). Activity monitor doesn't show anything abnormal, it definitely has an 'ambience' kind of sound to it when booted up (the fans?), and I'm sure there's a ton of dust in there that needs cleaning which can't help...

So the main reason for posting is to see if anyone can take a quick glance at these istat temperatures and tell me if there's anything abnormal?

These are from a fresh reboot (after being off/cooled down for a day), and left to sit for a couple hours. I'm mostly surprised how the AC/DC is so high...? it's hot to touch at the top from just sitting doing nothing.

I only want to open this once to install the new HD, so if there's anything you think I should look at while it's open let me know! Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_4509.JPG
    IMG_4509.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 100

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
It'd probably pay to to clean the CPU die, GPU die and the heatsinks and apply fresh thermal paste/compound/pads to the required areas. The original stuff will be dry and flaky by now I'd imagine and is probably not really doing it's job effectively any more.

Give it all a good clean, especially the fans to allow for the best airflow when it's back together.

Your PSU temps do seem high though. Maybe one of the fans isn't working properly? It might be caked in dust that's reduced airflow. Be careful with that though to ensure you don't get a nasty shock from any residual charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.