Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You know when a song or movie is released, or a particular athlete or actor is praised, and you think, "That song/movie/actor/athlete/product is rather overrated"??

Anyway, I'm going to start the list with a biggie:

1. The Beatles.

Discuss.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
No. You may not like their music, but they changed the industry forever, so you can't deny their influence.

To me, someone is overrated when they basically are just "lucky" to be famous.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You take that back about the Beatles.

Things that I find overrated:
HBO
The Sopranos
Sex and the City
"Stairway to Heaven"
Cinemax
Johny Depp (sp?)
Tim Burton
Michael Bay
- Especially "Armageddon"
Bill Clinton
The Stock Market(s)
Unemployment Figures
Hybrid Technology
Compact Florcesent Bulbs (Incandescent FTW)
World of Warcraft
MMORPGs
The Dangers of Nuclear Reactors
Greenpeace
Expensive Wine
Sports Drinks
Starbucks
Football (US)
California
Florida
Jimmy Hendrix
KISS
Nearly everything from the 1980's
Heavy Metal
Metalica
Naruto
Pokemon
PBS
Fox News Channel
MSNBC
J-Lo
Most current Pop stars

J

jmadlena

I agree with forafireescape. Even if you don't like the Beatles, they changed music in such a way that it will never be the same.

As far as overrated bands/artists go, I'd say almost anything from the 80-90's; seeing as how music was pretty much dead then.

Movies: Transformers, Transformers, Transformers, and Transformers. It is an abomination.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
This list can go on forever
let me add:

Britney Spears - what talent ?
Paris Hilton - No talent , cant even suck. :rolleyes:
Angelina Jolie - Ok not too bad but over-rated
Brad Pitt - see above

Dead People:
Nietzsche
Kafka
Hilter
Stalin
Marx
Freud
JP II

Ok I will stop there.

J

jmadlena

^^^^
You take that back!!!!!!!!

Compact Florcesent Bulbs (Incandescent FTW)

What don't you like about CFLs? I'm just curious.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
Dang. You guys have huge lists.

And of the "dead people" list - again, a list of people who had huge influences and changed the world we live in. They've changed our ways of thinking, our laws, our worldviews, etc. Hitler? Freud? Marx? How can you deny they had a huge influence?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
What don't you like about CFLs? I'm just curious.

CFLs contains mercury. I WILL NOT poison the planet to save a few dollars on my power bill. I'm a huge proponent of LEDs, which are more effecient and consume less energy, and can be easily repurposed after burn out (after 20 years of use). We need to instead create new clean energy sources, like solar, unregulated wind, hydroelectric, and nuclear.

TEG

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Dang. You guys have huge lists.

And of the "dead people" list - again, a list of people who had huge influences and changed the world we live in. They've changed our ways of thinking, our laws, our worldviews, etc. Hitler? Freud? Marx? How can you deny they had a huge influence?

Yes but they are still overrated.
they had an influence which is greater after their death than during their lifetime.

J

jmadlena

CFLs contains mercury. I WILL NOT poison the planet to save a few dollars on my power bill. I'm a huge proponent of LEDs, which are more effecient and consume less energy, and can be easily repurposed after burn out (after 20 years of use). We need to instead create new clean energy sources, like solar, unregulated wind, hydroelectric, and nuclear.

TEG

While I agree that there are always better ways to do things, I think CFLs do a pretty good job. IIRC (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that more mercury is released into the atmosphere, which then drops back to Earth, from power-plants than from CFLs.

Even if there is a mercury danger from CFLs, at least it can be captured (read recycled) and disposed of properly, whereas pollution and mercury in the air cannot.

But I could be totally wrong about this.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I'm going to stay away from music since there is already a thread of that which I contributed to, but some random things in real life:

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Late Night Comedy Shows
"Sketch Comedy" shows (really just SNL and MADtv)
The Metroid video game series
The Halo video game series
Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead - Stoppard
Brave New World - Huxley
Lord Jim - Conrad
The War On Drugs
Airborne :D
Sweet Potatoes/Yams
Standardized test scores
Satellite Radio
Circus Peanuts (candy)
Blonde hair
Uggs
Crocs
Paintballing
Expensive clothing

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Angelina Jolie's beauty.

George Clooney.

Hair

...off the top of my head (pun intended)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
While I agree that there are always better ways to do things, I think CFLs do a pretty good job. IIRC (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that more mercury is released into the atmosphere, which then drops back to Earth, from power-plants than from CFLs.

Even if there is a mercury danger from CFLs, at least it can be captured (read recycled) and disposed of properly, whereas pollution and mercury in the air cannot.

But I could be totally wrong about this.

I will agree with that about the Mercury in the atmosphere. I'm saying that we should also shutdown those sources and replace them with the clean technologies that I listed. That, and getting the EPA to allow nuclear power-plants to reuse their fuel. A small, safe chemical reaction can take spent fuel and make it viable again.

Also, you have to think about Joe 6-pack when you talk about CFLs, less that 10% of people using them will properly dispose of them, most of them will end up in landfills.

TEG

PS - Other Overrated things

HALO
Counter Strike
eBooks

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
like jamie spears lol

But she was never said to be any good. It's not like everyone goes on about how great she is.

I think we all have a different definition of what "over-rated" actually means. To me, something is overrated when it's rated highly by almost EVERYONE else, and yet you think it's utter.......ly bad, or you think it's average, and not deserving of the reputation it has received. I don't see how "Hitler" can be over-rated.

Here's another one. It's an Oscar winning film........Crash. A horrible film that assumed the viewers were idiots.

And yes, The Beatles are staying on the list. Regardless of how famous and influential they are, their music isn't so great, IMO. I know people adore them, but they're not for me.

Angelina Jolie's beauty.

Wow, totally agree. Woof woof.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Seinfeld. I sometimes think I'm the only one in the world who can't stand that show

*ducks out of the way of thrown objects flying towards me*

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Johny Depp (sp?)
Tim Burton
:mad: Their movies are quite good thank-you-very-much. :p

Sports Drinks
Seriously right? That and flavored water are really over-rated.
Starbucks

If you like unburnt coffee, go to Peet's
Football (US)
Take it back! :mad::p
California

I'll have you know that the Bay Area fully lives up to its hype. ;) :p

LA is another story...:p *runs*

Really? Who rates Florida highly? :confused: :p

*runs away and hides*
Over-rated
Oh yeah, clinical psychologists. I keed I keed:p :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.