Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
Mine is downloading too. Not as fast though as others'. I am thrilled that OTA is finally coming to iOS. :) Delta Updates FTW! :)

EMagnusL

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Just hang in there. Mine was at "<1 minute" for almost an hour, but it finally finished. It just came back up after the install, and all seems well.

My regular "Camera Roll" is intact, but other picture folders I had on my phone are gone. I backed up prior to the update, so I just have to sync them back on.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
I'm on 3, never got to 4 and get Unable to Check for Update on both wifi and 3G.

Downloading it from the website...

pic620

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Killadelphia
my iPad updated OTA no problem. but my iPhone was hanging. so I restet it. now settings crashes everytime I open it. I'm gonna have to reinstall from my Mac. which will take a good hour with all the music I have on there. fml. this was supposed to be easier.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
my iPad updated OTA no problem. but my iPhone was hanging. so I restet it. now settings crashes everytime I open it. I'm gonna have to reinstall from my Mac. which will take a good hour with all the music I have on there. fml. this was supposed to be easier.

Beta for a reason :rolleyes:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
And its still 133MB? Wow.. Can you do it over 3G and WiFi? I feel bad for whoever is updating without unlimited if it works on 3G.

I would rather get the entire download over 3G instead of the delta just because AT&T annoys me. ;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Somehow I doubt it'd be quicker to download 824mb from your computer than 133mb from your iphone.

My computer internet (connected via ethernet) is faster than my iPhone on WiFi. Plus, downloading 133MB probably would take a lot of battery so I'd keep it plugged into the charger anyways. (I charge using my computer).

I'll see how it works when it's released.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Ignorant person's question time for people who know better:

So will this mean that if you update any device running iOS 5 through iTunes you can just download the smaller update, or will doing it connected to iTunes still result in the humungotron .ipsw download?

And does calling it 'OTA' mean 3G and WiFi or just 3G?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Ignorant person's question time for people who know better:

So will this mean that if you update any device running iOS 5 through iTunes you can just download the smaller update, or will doing it connected to iTunes still result in the humungotron .ipsw download?

And does calling it 'OTA' mean 3G and WiFi or just 3G?

I did OTA over 3G and it worked fine. It finished in around 9 minutes. Some others did it over WIFI. It works on both.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Crap, mine has been stuck at <1 minute for about 25 minutes now. I didn't make a backup either, so I'm running that right now. Hopefully it makes the backup without any issues. I had to reinstall iTunes beta 3 since Lion wiped that out, apparently.

To those who have their iPhones stuck at <1 minute, did you leave the settings app and do anything else and come back and now it doesn't have any details? Is that what is causing our devices to get stuck?

Haha, I just checked it again before posting and now it says Install Now on the button. I suppose I'll wait for the backup to finish since people are saying that it is removing their important data.

This is what we get for being beta testers! I hope Apple uses these issues to sort out the problems for the public release. I think they should also add some polish to the update screen. Something nicer looking, like when you first get your device and it has the animated activation screens with the linen and such.

ejpeg

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
iOS5 4

Hmmm seems stuck…

iPhone up and running. iPad takes longer…

pfealey

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Weston-super-Mare, UK
OTA isn't working for me in the UK, and iTunes Beta v4 is absolutely screwed!

EDIT: The screenshot shows the iPhone as restoring from Backup, however it was at the syncing stage.. Couldn't even see the iPhone GUI in iTunes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 23.58.21.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 23.58.21.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I get an error saying unable to check for update. It says an error occurred while checking for software updates. And it asks to cancel or try again, try again doesn't work.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

On my phone.. It downloaded then sent me a notification saying that I had an update. It installed pretty fast too. Much better than restoring.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
My computer internet (connected via ethernet) is faster than my iPhone on WiFi. Plus, downloading 133MB probably would take a lot of battery so I'd keep it plugged into the charger anyways. (I charge using my computer).
You made me curious. I've got a 100Mbps cable connection and didn't see a major speed difference between various test server from my PC and my iPhone. The internet is the bottleneck, not the iPhone. Downloading 133MB shouldn't take more than a few sec. Providing Apple provides decent bandwidth for a couple million people downloading.

At the moment it looks like Apple bandwidth is a big bottleneck. First 80-90% downloaded blazing fast and then it appears to have slowed down to close to zero. There is no speed or bytes left indication so hard to tell if its downloading at all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.