Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aputschoegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
The volume on the overcast app on my watch is very quiet, especially when played to my Bluetooth headphones from my watch. It is much quieter compared to Apple Music and softer than the beeps on the actually headphones when changing the volume. This is the newest watch with everything on the newest version. Any tips or tricks? Tried emailing overcast with no response.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The volume on the overcast app on my watch is very quiet, especially when played to my Bluetooth headphones from my watch. It is much quieter compared to Apple Music and softer than the beeps on the actually headphones when changing the volume. This is the newest watch with everything on the newest version. Any tips or tricks? Tried emailing overcast with no response.

Is this when playing a podcast that is synced locally to the watch? If so, Overcast has it's own volume control, and maybe it's possible that the volume is low within the app (I think the app's volume is independent of the watch/OS volume)?

aputschoegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
Is this when playing a podcast that is synced locally to the watch? If so, Overcast has it's own volume control, and maybe it's possible that the volume is low within the app (I think the app's volume is independent of the watch/OS volume)?

Yes, I sent the podcast from my phone to the watch. Do you know how to adjust the overcast specific volume?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yes, I sent the podcast from my phone to the watch. Do you know how to adjust the overcast specific volume?

Yup - in Overcast scroll the digital crown - you'll see the volume bar show up in orange horizontally along the top of the screen.

The exactly same thing happened to me initially, couldn't figure out why the volume was so low.

aputschoegl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
Yup - in Overcast scroll the digital crown - you'll see the volume bar show up in orange horizontally along the top of the screen.

The exactly same thing happened to me initially, couldn't figure out why the volume was so low.

Shoot, I did that too. Still pretty quiet. It's fine if I'm out walking on a nice day with my Bluetooth headphones playing from watch but if there is any wind it's hard to hear. Definitely different volume levels compared to playing music from the Apple Music app and quieter than the beeps of my headphones when the volume is changed.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Shoot, I did that too. Still pretty quiet. It's fine if I'm out walking on a nice day with my Bluetooth headphones playing from watch but if there is any wind it's hard to hear. Definitely different volume levels compared to playing music from the Apple Music app and quieter than the beeps of my headphones when the volume is changed.

Strange. I definitely notice that it Overcast creates a compressed / lower quality version of the podcast before transferring. I don’t use it too often, just for long runs right now.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I thought I remembered someone talking about this earlier. There is some kind of sound boost that the watch uses for music but that isn't available for overcast or other third party apps

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
I've run into this issue as well and for me it was solved by playing music in the Music app and turning the volume up there, then switching to Overcast and turning the volume up in it (using the crown). I'm not sure if this solution works for everyone or if the issue some people are experiencing is a separate one, but it worked for me.

It seems like the Music app (and potentially Now Playing?) adjusts a global/system volume level, while all other apps have their own internal volume level that acts as a percentage of the system level. i.e. if the system volume level is at 50% and Overcast's level is 75%, the output volume would be 37.5% (75% of the system's 50% level). But this is just my experience/theory... who knows what the true behaviour is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.