Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
It's pretty cozy - summer is heating everything up here in Germany - around 24°c. I've put a shortcut to MacFanx64 with 1800 1800 1600 onto my desktop and into autostart for setting the fans at startup, but somehow another one with 1000 1100 1000 does not seem to be able to reset the temps - the error I'm getting: "Unable to read key **** from SMC." -- any clues?

Well great, i come overnight to steal your iMac. :D

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
iFixit said the previous gen had 310W, see the step 12. On the other hand, desktop 5770 is 850MHz and 108W so 800MHz could easily suck around 80W. I don't know how the GPU is powered, is it over PCIe or is it an own cable but I wouldn't be surprised if it was limited to e.g. 75W because that can provide the 39W what stock 5850 needs (and ~55W what 4850 needs). That's just a theory and one option

I'm wondering, maybe can one of us email iFixit?

But now my body ask for sleep. :)

And my girlfriend is horny:D

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
no i just manually go and change them, a little dos doesnt hurt anyone :D

i did your test now at 1800 1400 1400, with kumbustor at 768/1102

And i maxed out at 69,5 C

Seems ambient temps means alot, but it still weird.

Hellhammer, you have opinion on this, or is it just ambient temps? does that really do 10 degrees difference?

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Had another adapter reset / voltage problem at 768/1102 after playing PES2010 and SC:Conviction for 35 minutes. Will no take it a little easier with 759/1088. It's fast anyhow =)

Edit: BTW, don't worry about the temps. I'm getting averages of 60-64°c now with a once measured max temp. of 71°c for the second sensor.

schulmaster

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
This may be a stupid question, but how are you guys performing these overclocks? Is it just from the Catalyst controls? I thought Apple firmware prohibited these changes in the past. Thanks

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Had another adapter reset / voltage problem at 768/1102 after playing PES2010 and SC:Conviction for 35 minutes. Will no take it a little easier with 759/1088. It's fast anyhow =)

Edit: BTW, don't worry about the temps. I'm getting averages of 60-64°c now with a once measured max temp. of 71°c for the second sensor.

:) nice! and yes its blazing fast :D

just finished up 2 games of starcraft 2.

im using this for my core gaming, it gives a huge boost to fps over stock clocks and its not high for me to worry. Its 750/1075. I just use that to play it safe.

I mean i dont have benchmark for it, but starcraft 2 is so much smoother on those OC clocks. All though it was only two matches, the machine reach a maximum of 66 C on the gpu, and 54 C on the cpu.

Its ridiculous how cool the imac is. And have paranoia against heat but im enjoying this.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
This may be a stupid question, but how are you guys performing these overclocks? Is it just from the Catalyst controls? I thought Apple firmware prohibited these changes in the past. Thanks

I use mac fan to regulate fan controls before testing/gaming

i use msi afterburner to overclock, and use gpu-z to measure gpu temps, and real temp to measure cpu temp.

catalyst doesnt work with mobile gpu's if i recall correctly.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
You can try the AMD GPU Clock Tool for monitoring, too.
Finished a few missions on SC2 with 768/1088 without any probs on 1080p ultra settings. Max heat was 74°c, average around 71°c - that's perfectly fine.

Enjoy :) And thanks Henrik for all the testing!

schulmaster

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
If I were to OC to 750/1075, would I need to manually manage fan speed/control, or will stock/auto sensors manage on their own?

rowanmmcdonald

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
So do we seem to agree that 750/1075 is the sweet spot?

What fan settings that aren't too loud are a good match for that speed?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
no i just manually go and change them, a little dos doesnt hurt anyone :D

i did your test now at 1800 1400 1400, with kumbustor at 768/1102

And i maxed out at 69,5 C

Seems ambient temps means alot, but it still weird.

Hellhammer, you have opinion on this, or is it just ambient temps? does that really do 10 degrees difference?

Opinion on what? (Sorry I just woke up so my brain function is little slow :p) Those temps seem completely normal, pretty average for what you have gotten before.

tehpwnerer19

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
is the imac w/ i7 and 5750 capable of playing sc2 in os x on ultra settings decently or not? thanks.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Hi All,

I plan on getting an 27" iMac i7 with the 5750 graphics card, is this thread for that card? I'm new to the whole overclocking business and have a few questions:

1) I didn't know you can overclock anything on a mac?

2) what do I need to overclock this graphics card once I get it?

3) did you guys overclock your CPU or just GPU? any if you didn't, why not? are you guys leaving it to hyperthreading and stuff?

Please be patient with me, I'll catch on fast hopefully, just a bunch of initial questions to start me up.

Thanks
AE

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
IIRC it's 310W. The issue isn't the power of it but how much power is provided to the GPU. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 75W (single PCIe power cord) but that's just a guess. It was just an idea that came to my mind but it could be the voltage or something else
The PCIe bus itself starts you off with 75W. Any additional connectors would be beyond that. 75W for a 6-pin connector and 150W for an 8-pin one.

My GTX 460 requires 160W and the 768 MB version is 150W. There are still two 6-pin connectors for an additional 150W beyond bus power. I suspect it was for the sake of simplifying production and allowing overhead for an overclock. (I get to 835 MHz from 715 MHz without breaking another 2° C in load temps.)

It's possible that a future lower voltage GTX 460 might have a single 6-pin connector. It only draws just over 1 V as it is. Then again that's what GF106 (GTS 450) is for.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Hi All,

I plan on getting an 27" iMac i7 with the 5750 graphics card, is this thread for that card? I'm new to the whole overclocking business and have a few questions:

1) I didn't know you can overclock anything on a mac?

2) what do I need to overclock this graphics card once I get it?

3) did you guys overclock your CPU or just GPU? any if you didn't, why not? are you guys leaving it to hyperthreading and stuff?

Please be patient with me, I'll catch on fast hopefully, just a bunch of initial questions to start me up.
Yes it's card used in this thread

1. It's a mobile gpu meant for cramped laptops. In a iMac you more room, which means improved airflow.

2. Atleast take 5 min o your time and actually read the thread. You need macfan, Msi afterburner, furmark and gpu-x/amd clock tool.

3. I have the i5. After playing sc2 the CPU never reaches 65 C. The i7 reaches high 80's easily. So I would not overclock the i7. The i5 could reach higher clocks. But there isn't any point due to gpu bottleneck. Please note that with a much higher CPU temp the whole iMac gets hotter.

I you never overclocked before I would be careful. Macfan can seem difficut and it's alot about knowing temps and what's safe. There is no guarantee that it will work for you with the same clocks because of ambient temps and other stuff.

Lastly. Read. All your questions have already been answered in this thread.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I nearly forgot this little gem as well.

attachment.php

nVidia should be hitting first with a mobile GF104 derivative soon enough. Even the crippled GTX 480M already makes a strong showing against the Mobility HD 5870. The load power consumption of the GTX 480M is a concern but at idle it's somewhat better.

I suspect ulterior motives behind the switch to ATI from nVidia though.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Lastly. Read. All your questions have already been answered in this thread.

Thanks Henrik! I can't stand the arrogance some folks exhibit. You took at least as much time answering as it would have taken the original poster to read the entire thread. :confused:

On a higher note: the 768/1088 seems to be running perfectly fine, all the time (ambient temps of 23°-26°c)

axma

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Thanks Henrik! I can't stand the arrogance some folks exhibit. You took at least as much time answering as it would have taken the original poster to read the entire thread. :confused:

On a higher note: the 768/1088 seems to be running perfectly fine, all the time (ambient temps of 23°-26°c)
Good :), what are your fan speeds settings please ?

axma

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
With these GPU settings (768/1088) but without MacFan, what will be the fan speeds in games ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.