Overpaid $150 Buying From Apple!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kanpachi, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kanpachi macrumors regular

Not sure where everyone buys their Apple laptops from, but after using my brand new 13" MacBook Pro for about a week now, I got a link from my sister for the 13" on Amazon and noticed they have it for $40 less than the Apple Store and don't even charge tax??

I paid around $1310 for it at the Valley Fair Apple Store here in California, but if I were to buy it from Amazon it would only be $1159.30 which is a difference of $150.70!! I looked on Amazon's website and it turns out they only tax in Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, New York and Washington? Am I the only one that doesn't know about this??

Now I feel really disappointed (and stupid) that I didn't see this before - is there any way I can return my laptop to Apple without incurring a restocking fee? This is a total kick in the nuts, $150 is a ton of money.

Anyways, not sure what other people's purchasing experiences have been, but if this helps anyone else save some money and avoid the mistake I made, at least I won't feel so bad if I can't return it. :(

2. rjyapp macrumors newbie

in god honesty i almost never buy directly from apple any more. to much of a pain, but their are a good list of resellers that offer great deals. i said before i just bought the old 3.06 high end model imac off Small dog electronics for 1450 with a year warrenty, its brand new and runs like a dream, apple offers this model referbed only, for about 1700 including tax. you make the choice, its not a hard one to make.

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I buy only and everything from amazon. really i do. for the past 4 years

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think you should just keep it because there will be a restocking fee for returning the Macbook Pro which will cost around $100.

I bought my Mac Mini from Amazon.com on sale for $586 and no tax so it was a great deal.

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I buy from our local Apple store when I am impatient. I buy from Amazon when I'm looking to be financially prudent.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Amazon may not charge tax, but you still have to pay it. Any item you buy without paying sales tax you have to list in your next tax return and pay tax then. I know that many people "forget" this, but you haven't overpaid $150. Amazon gave you a $40 lower price and a $100 opportunity to commit tax evasion.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Your not committing tax evasion, your creating a stimulus package for yourself.

8. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Bought my MBP thought the Australian Online Apple store - with educational discount. Couldn't be matched by any local Apple Reseller.

So to the OP. Bad luck man. Sucks to overspend. Better luck next time.

9. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I think Apple has a better exchange policy. If your laptop has problems like bleeding, unleveled keys, etc, Apple will exchange it on the spot. I doubt Amazon has the same policy.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is not a universally applied policy, especially for minor things like unlevelled keys. More likely they'll repair it before replacing it.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You could always go to the Apple store and have them replace it. You still get the same warranty.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

This is not an Apple thing.... its a universal law. No matter how good a deal you get, you will find a better deal on the same product 2 weeks later. Its just the way the universe likes to show who is boss. Enjoy your laptop. Don't fret the price - life is too short. Besides, in 4 weeks you will be given a new opportunity to fret when Apple releases a new laptop that is the exact same price, runs 15% faster, and has 3 extra ports including the USB 3.0 and Firewire 3200. But don't blame Apple, its just the way the universe works. :D

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Let's be very clear.
    A. Apple is not going to announce a notebook in four weeks
    B. It's not a matter of two weeks, it's just finding a better place to buy said thing.

15. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Sales Taxes

I hate to rain on your parade, but every one of you who did not pay sales tax for your online purchase, owes sales or use tax to your home state for the purchase (excepting any states that don't have a sales tax). With state revenues dropping like Michael Jackson's pants at a preschool (Sorry), it is just a matter of time before states start demanding the info from Amazon and others for all sales shipped to a particular state, and them it will be a simple matter to bill the purchasers for the sales tax...........

You know what happens when you don't pay your taxes.:eek:

16. Qusus macrumors member

This is absolutely categorically 100% untrue in most cases. You are not legally required to do this unless you bought the item from someone located in the state, and sometimes, not even then. (Though if that business has any physical presence within your state then it gets a bit more iffy, but even then it's not clear. Certainly it's not something that the IRS could legally fine you for even if they knew you were buying things from Amazon without pay the sales tax.)

Please do not state such stupid things with such a self-righteous pretentiousness.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, it is tax evasion. But since no one claims internet purchases on their taxes and the IRS can't throw every one in the country in jail, people get away with it.

18. DrunkenMunky macrumors member

So if i bought a Macbook Pro from Amazon... id still get the same warranty as i would if i bought directly from apple?

19. Qusus macrumors member

Where do you guys hear this lunacy? Seriously, send me some links.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/policy-papers/streamlined-sales-tax-project

For the love of God, buying something from Amazon without being charged sales tax (assuming Amazon doesn't charge sales tax in your state) is NOT tax evasion.

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1) it depends on the jurisdiction.
    2) IRS does not administer state/local taxes

Examples where retail sales tax is obligated to be remitted by the purchaser:

British Columbia

California
    Interestingly if the seller is in California and they drop ship to a California resident from out of state, the seller is liable for sales taxes. That could play Hob with eBay sellers.

Idaho

I didn't feel like going through the other 48 states. These examples are enough to show your post is absolutely categorically 100% inaccurate.

<irony>
    </irony>

Yes, you get the same warranty. However, what you do NOT get from Amazon or MacMall etc. is direct exchange from Apple in the first 14 days. If Apple sends you a DOA machine, they will replace it straight across in the first 14 days. If a mail order seller sends you a DOA machine, Apple will either fix it under warranty or direct you back to the seller for replacement. Apple will not direct-replace machines bought through resellers.

21. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Signal-11's personal economic stimulus plan: Band handwriting and a missed zero or two.

And some would say that by buying AN Apple, you overpaid.

22. Qusus macrumors member

Again, the constitutionality of any of e-commerce taxation is still in debate. Perhaps you missed the part where I said "in most cases"...

I can't speak about British Columbia, but if you buy a notebook from Amazon while living in California or Idaho (your two examples) you are not legally obligated to pay sales tax for them.

However, if the same situation happens while you're living in New York then it's a different matter, and even then that might not stand - though the smart money is on it sticking. (Amazon of course, already charges sales tax in New York.)

Ultimately, each state's laws on the matter of e-commerce taxation DO NOT trump the 1992 Quill Corp v North Dakota ruling. I am well aware that each state has different laws on the matter.

*Actually, I see that the link you cited is referring to the use tax in Idaho, in which case my last paragraph does not apply. Still, in most cases, it's not absolutely not tax evasion to not pay sales tax on Amazon purchases if you're not being charged for it already. My point is, the whole e-commerce taxation thing is up in the air, but if you're not being charged tax at the time of purchase from something you got from Amazon, then it's likely you do not have any legal obligation to pay sales tax on that item (even if your state has use tax laws). Thus, that's why it's such a big deal for these states to be able to charge sales tax from Amazon since they know any other method won't hold water.

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

originally posted by me....This is not an Apple thing.... its a universal law. No matter how good a deal you get, you will find a better deal on the same product 2 weeks later. Its just the way the universe likes to show who is boss. Enjoy your laptop. Don't fret the price - life is too short. Besides, in 4 weeks you will be given a new opportunity to fret when Apple releases a new laptop that is the exact same price, runs 15% faster, and has 3 extra ports including the USB 3.0 and Firewire 3200. But don't blame Apple, its just the way the universe works.

My mistake.... I forgot to add the "rolleyes" and enough "smiley faces" to my post.....

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, but the addition of the weasel words "in most cases" isn't sufficient to trump the pretentiousness of the "absolutely categorically 100%" that precedes it.

And I think you are arguing that the State laws are on the books, but you get to ignore them because you believe that they are untested for constitutionality. Good luck with that.

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

Perhaps you two could just agree that anyone purchasing from Amazon should check with their particular state's/province's tax people if they are concerned with staying on the legal side of the tax code???

Sounds like every jurisdiction is different.... rules are changing ..... and that the only likely direction is that tax rules are going to be getting tighter, not looser.
    :D :D :D