OVERPRICED MACBOOKS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4ppleg1rl, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Difficult to say a company with Apple's massive turnover and profitability is in any way crazy. Easier to believe they know their business very well indeed.

2. William Payne macrumors 6502a

I think we are all missing one big big big thing...... Priorities....... Priorities are something that can be completely different to different people.

Example, a while back I needed a new lawnmower. I went out and got a really nice one. Why? Because well honestly I could really and it was nice and had a lot of cool features.

A mate of mine said to me "Dude why didn't you just get a cheaper one that did the same thing".

My argument was because at the time it was what I wanted.

Take televisions, a tv buff will go out and buy the greatest most fanciest giant tv and an awesome surround sound to watch their favourite programs, movies, sports, or whatever.

Televisions are are another area where pricing can go from reasonable to extreme for what you get.

Now myself, I do watch the odd movie but maybe once every couple of months. I don't watch television at all (though I do miss the CNBC business channel. I loved keeping up to date on that business stuff). So for me all the tv stuff would be a waste of money.

It is all really down to what each individual can personally justify.

Also the whole status thing. I myself want a nice car, and a luxury watch and a louis vuitton wallet. I don't even care if nobody can see my with those things. Can I afford those things, nope not yet.

I got told I had too much money when I brought my iPhone 5 brand new! I saved up for that thing and I still have it.

I dont have much money, but I do want to enjoy nice things, I have done the struggle, i've done the no money, minus dollars in my bank account thing.

3. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

I don't really understand the pricing outside the U.S. . In my opinion, although the MacBook Pro is slightly overpriced in the U.S., it's ok, but the quoted prices I'm hearing from the EU or Australia or something to me just seems ridiculous. If taxes don't account for the price increase, what's Apple's strategy here?

4. William Payne macrumors 6502a

Well here in new zealand we get a 15% tax added to pricing. plus theres the currency conversion thing.

5. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

So does that account for the price difference? If you converted the currency to USD equivalent and removed the extra tax it would be the same price? Maybe shipping is a little more expensive?

Also, the Euro and Pound are at least in the same ballpark as the USD so I'm wondering why the price difference there.

6. William Payne macrumors 6502a

New Zealands biggest issues is tiny population. Even our own New Zealand made products are sold cheaper overseas. But that is what happens when you have a country the size of the united kingdom with half the population of new york city.

As for price difference, just did the math on the base model with no options 4gb vram 15" MacBook pro Touch Bar. Well really the price was only really $200 more here in new zealand.

7. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

That seems acceptable to me. It's expensive I supposed, but it's not the alleged horror story I hear from the EU at least.

8. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

It's telling when HP sells laptops that are so similar in specs that you can run MacOS on them for a quarter of the price.

9. William Payne macrumors 6502a

I really can't explain that, though currency value may play a part.

10. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Sure, so if you remove the tax, shouldn't a Mac be cheaper in the EU?

11. William Payne macrumors 6502a

The problem with this whole argument is that......... We can't do anything about it. People are still buying the things on a massive scale anyway.

12. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Which is a mistake that is commonly made. The mistake is assuming that a computer is simply the sum of it's parts. It's not.

13. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

At least those HP parts can be replaced individually, as they're business laptops and made to be robust and not glued together with everything soldered to the board...

14. William Payne macrumors 6502a

Yeah I can't explain it. I just went on apple germany's site to see the euro pricing. With todays currency values as of right now. It is almost 1000 euro's more expensive then it should be.

So beats me.

15. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

I mean, maybe a couple can but w/e.

Why not just use an Android tablet then for business apps?

16. upandown macrumors 6502a

Lol. As if you know anything about me.

17. William Payne macrumors 6502a

Not aiming this at you or anyone but why do these things always end up getting into personal stuff. Cant we just accept that people have different want's, priorities, desires, budgets.

18. upandown macrumors 6502a

I could not agree more.

19. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

CAD is pretty bad too. AUD is even worst. The conversion isn't even correct. The USD has also weakened so I'm not sure why they increased prices on iOS devices

20. William Payne macrumors 6502a

As I mentioned earlier, new zealand pricing with tax is $200 more then the USA, so why is euro pricing almost 1000 euros more then the converted currency value for euro's?

21. ZapNZs, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

BINGO!

5k is a drop in the bucket if the end result is an extra 25k, 50k, 100k, or more in productivity. Not investing in the right tools for the job is the logic of penny-smart-and-dollar-dumb.

For example, some of my customers are highly skilled individuals in specialized fields making big bank. However, they know very little about computers, and if they had to use Windows 10 or Ubuntu, they'd be making 1/10th what they do with their Macs. Their primary interest in a computer is as a means of making money, and they want the product that is the simplest to use with the minimal time investment required to use it successfully. Apple has, historically, and presently, delivered that product. It comes at a premium price, but if it is the difference between making $25,000 a year and $125,000, the complaining about the price of the MacBook Pro becomes laughable.

As another example, I have a younger brother with special needs. His iMac and MacBook Pro have dramatically improved the quality of his life by offering a platform he is able to easily understand, master, and use to his benefit to connect to a world that he would otherwise not be able to access - such success he did not have with a Windows 7 computer. So while the impact there is not financial, its impact on quality of life has been tremendous.

--- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2017 ---
    Median income, and the standard of living, is higher in many European nations than here in the United States. One could easily argue that the amount of money an American pays in healthcare costs is far greater than the higher price a European will pay for a MacBook Pro, and this in many cases more than offsets the disparity in pricing.

I try to respect the opinions of others, but you are acting idiotic.

22. William Payne macrumors 6502a

Another purchasing choice I've seen people make is the aesthetic of their place of business or office. The ophthalmology (eye doctors) hospital that I go to are in a really modern almost futuristic building they had built. Every workstation in the place has the same style desk, the same office chair at each desk, all the furniture is really modern and every single computer in the building for the reception and all the medical staff and doctors are all iMacs running windows.

The software they use is windows based but they got all iMacs just to keep everything looking modern and the same.

23. alias99 macrumors regular

I just compared a base 2017 15in between US and Germany and its $2,399 vs $2,834 without tax.

And the more expensive 15in model is $2,799 vs $3,275 so not even close to a EUR 1000 difference. However still too much of a difference.

24. William Payne macrumors 6502a

$2799 USD dollars with the current exchange rate is €2369 Euros so Apple is selling it for €1000 Euros more then the exchange rate.

25. alias99 macrumors regular

Thats because you're including around 500 Euros in tax for the German price and 0 for the American price.

Tax cant be included in a comparison between prices as it has nothing to do with Apple and they don't see a penny of it.