Overreaction of Glossy Screen is BAD!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wheelhot, Nov 5, 2008.

1. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Well, I just went to see the new MBP and MB today and honestly, I'm surprise at how much the glare is not affecting the usage. Most people kept nagging that the they can't work properly with all the glare, reflection and etc. but let me tell you, its not as bad as other notebooks. In fact, I played tilting the screen to a variety of angle to see which angle will make it unusable and I realize that you can use the notebook at almost any angle. Of course they will be some angle where you can't use the screen cause of the glare but most of us won't even be using the notebook at such an extreme angle.

So for those who kept saying glossy is bad, I won't buy another Apple notebook and etc. Open up your closed mind, be optimistic and try it out yourself.

Oh yeah, and Chiclet Keys DON'T suck.
    In fact, being optimistic, turn down the brightness to 0 and you get yourself a portable mirror with you :p

2. goobimama macrumors regular

In fact, we did a survey asking only those who actually own a new MacBook/Pro and the results were very surprising! Very few who complained about the screen. "New MacBook users: Glossy Ain't that bad"

3. polar-blair macrumors regular

I totally agree, I love the new screen, and I have noticed no Glare when using it in normal conditions, When I have the brightness down to 1 bar in full day light, yes I can see myself, But I would never have it down so low even if I was suing a matte display because it wont be bright enough.

I think everyone one just panicked when the option went because thats what they were used. I say go and use one with an open mind and pre conception that the new UMBP are rubbish, Cause there not!!!

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

a) it's the lack of choice that annoys people
    b) are you a photographer? Many Pro users are photographers and need a good screen for calibrations. So far, nothing from the new range that Apple is moving to has a matte screen. This is bad news and they are just trying to make money at the expense of the dedicated fan base.

5. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

You are very funny.

6. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well with the new design, I will be very impressed if Apple could make a Matte screen version about it (very unlikely), and yes, I'm a photographer but I'm not pro by any means. If the pro photographer you are referring here is really pro, then they will have their own expensive external monitor where they do all their work on.

Oh yea, and I find it funny when these so called Pro people complain about the lack of FW on the MacBooks, which is
    a) a consumer product
    b) everyone knows that the MB screen is never as good as the MBP. So its ridiculous when they say they do their Pro work on a MB.

Oh yeah, and if you say color is a problem with gloss, there is this guy who say the iMac (which is gloss), produce more colors, something like that. I don't study art or colors, so I don't know how true is this.

Oh yea, and I agree with you that the lack of choice is annoying (to some) but by all means not a deal breaker or is it as bad as some people kept telling.

Yeah, I try to be as friendly as possible so that people won't feel like I attack them or anything. I'm open minded as long as people give their opinions properly (as in thinking of both sides and etc.)

7. kolax macrumors G3

I thought this was a myth back from the early days of glossy screens that were bad for calibration.

It is just the reflections that I can't stand.

8. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Basically, here is why I realize that the reflection is not that bad and won't be as bad as many people will think.
    a) the new MacBooks is really bright, so bright that you will barely even see your reflection.
    b) Because of a normal notebook posture (which is placed on a table, your body will block most light coming from the back)
    c) The new MacBooks has more rotational angle, so you can play around with it to prevent the reflection as much as possible.

Oh yea and a few more points.
    a pro photographer will have a external monitor to do their work on is because of the higher resolution that a external monitor can provide.

and, I realize this situation is similar to the MBA not having an optical drive, when the MBA was first released, I was whining (and many others) about it not having optical drive, but after reading actual reviews of people owning the MBA, I realize that they; don't feel a real need for a optical drive.

9. LadyMary macrumors newbie

Agree!

I agree. I love the new LED screen. I have an imac 17" and the white macbook but my aluminum macbook has the best screen of the lot.

10. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

So that would exclude Apple who's not too open minded forcing a (non) choice to it's (ex) customers ;-)

Well, I'm a pro photographer and this would be true for a *desktop*. A laptop is per definition mobile, and to be used on the road !! Should I pack my 24" in my crumpler bag now ?

11. radionickhead macrumors regular

I agree, I'm loving the screen - I prepared myself for the worse after all the riots caused on the forums..I think its superb

12. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, Apple has a long history of restricting choices, lol. I have a simple philosophy though, if I don't like it, I don't buy it :D

Before this, eventhough I like Apple, I always say its expensive and not value for money, so my first notebook is going to be a Windows, but thanks to Microsoft which released such a crappy OS (when it was released), I decided to take the plunge and get a Mac, never regret it since.

True (exclude the pack your crumpler bag), but I'm quite sure that photographers on the road, won't do serious photo editing without having proper gear. Yeah lugging another monitor will be a pain in the butt but hey, a lot of notebooks that is powerful enough (or meant to) for photo editing is going towards glossy. ;)

13. pesc macrumors regular

Doesn't help if you are looking at an image showing off the "deep wonderful blacks". It also doesn't help with the reflective thick bezel.

Try browsing at www.dpreview.com.

But not the light coming from above or from the side. If light falls on your head or body you will se an reflection unless you are wearing Steve Jobs black turtleneck and a black ski mask.

Not when using the laptop outside the office (which is why you have a laptop in the first place). I use mine 2 hours every day on a train. Not much room to move about when you are sitting by a window.

Personally I don't care about color calibration. But I can't stand reflections when working with text or code. It distracts me completely, especially when the reflections move (which they are bound to do outside the office unless I can get my back against a dark wall).

Not quite since Apple has other laptops with an optical drive for those who need it. And also sells an external optical drive for the MBA.

Look, if you like glossy reflective screen, congratulations! I can't understand why you have a problem with those who'd like a non-reflective screen though.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Let me know when you can get an accurate color profile out of it.

I have a friend with one that is pulling his hair out trying to do his fine art prints at the mo...

15. pesc macrumors regular

Go figure! :rolleyes:

16. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Its not that I have a problem with those who like non-reflective screen (in fact I like non-reflective screen), its just that some of these people is totally against the idea of glossy screen, like its the end of the world or something, its more like a personal opinion and shouldn't be exaggerated.

See what happen to Vista? Now after a few years in the market, its no more as bad as it was but people still say its very bad. Its the same as glossy screen, people is making it such a big deal when its just how things are changing.

Also, its like spreading the word to people not to buy glossy screen notebooks cause it sucks and etc. when it is actually depending on how things are. Imagine if a new person want to buy his first Mac, and a Mac owner say "Don't buy new Mac notebooks cause it has glossy screen, glossy screen sucks". What will your perspective be then as a potential Mac buyer? Its possible you will not buy a Mac cause of the glossy screen, or you might not even buy any notebook (regardless of brand) with glossy screen (while the whole industry is moving towards glossy screen).

17. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

It'll never be accurate. Both run off TN screens...you're not even going to get close, you can get it to look great, but will it be accurate? Probably not.

18. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This isn't true. When I calibrate my matte MBP display, prints from it are just as accurate in color rendition and brightness as those made with my desktop S-IPS display.

19. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Why don't you try using the glossy display outside or use it when there's huge windows behind you. Then tell me your report... I'll take a picture to show you how bad it is.

20. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Really? Point for point? If it is, why do they even bother making S-IPS displays then??

21. pesc macrumors regular

Of course it's not the end of the world. That would be exaggerating. But for me, personally, it might well be the end of using Mac laptops when my 12" PB dies. I'm investigating alternatives now.

Unless one of those mirror-screen band-aids look great. Then that could be an option. But I need to see it before I order one.

22. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, that what I meant, a lot of other people out there is exaggerating about this issue.

Regarding the usage of glossy outdoor, I can't even use my matte MBP outdoor, its very difficult to see the the display is showing, so I consider this as a tie.

23. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

People don't exaggerate, AT ALL!!!

Glossy may be good for some, likewise Matte may be good for others (like me).
    Just tell us why Apple can't have both!!

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The glossy wasn't that bad for me and that was my first glossy machine. What was bad was the total washout and bleed. I like to see black as black.

25. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Huh? Define your definition of cut cost. The new unibody increases cost, Glass is more expensive then plastic, glass trackpad. So how do they cut cost and fail?

Oh, you changed your statement. Well how can I tell you something that I didn't design? Ask the design team.
    That's why I mentioned earlier that if Apple managed to get a matte version, I'll be very impressed because at how the new design looks, changing the glass to matte will likely ruin the looks.