OWC Confirms New Low-End 27-inch iMac Can Be Fitted With 64GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2017.

1. DonkeyKongForPresident macrumors newbie

Crucial is charging Apple prices. The ones at MacSales.com are like $100 cheaper

2. Marx55, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

Marx55 macrumors 68000

Apple should use standard ports and components, not soldered. And why is the very same make and model of RAM purchased from Apple Store two to three times more expensive than in retailers like Amazon?

3. DonkeyKongForPresident macrumors newbie

Doesn't look like it will be. There's no memory door in the pics Apple have put out and it looks to be on the front of the logic board.

4. UL2RA Suspended

It's upgradeable, but some work is involved ... and probably a voiding of the warranty: http://ifixit.org/blog/9182/2017-imac-upgradable/

5. milo macrumors 604

So if this model has user upgradable ram, why not in the "pro" which is also a 27? Absurd.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The back panel should be removable get easy access to the drives and memory. No need to take the screen out with a toilet plunger. I hope Apple creates this door with the iMac Pro.

A door would also be a easy way to clean the fans from dust that will eventually build up and reduce the cooling of your Mac over time.

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Be aware though that Crucial works 100% in Macs, you can't be sure with memory from others, believe me, there have been many threads here concerning RAM (problems) from different brands, then they switch to Crucial and it works.

8. theluggage macrumors 68040

9. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

RAM definitely. The SSD prices aren't bad, though.

10. theluggage macrumors 68040

They've pretty much said in tweets and replies that the iMac Pro is going to be non-upgradeable.

Seems like a deal-breaker to me, but I guess they think the "Pro" target market knows how much RAM and SSD they need from the start - and will probably be buying on a 3-year business lease anyway.

11. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Wait, they still sell these with the ghetto 5400RPM HDD? Ugh

12. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

At least all of the new 27" 5K iMac's still have user-replaceable ram.

Memory
    3.4GHz Base Model: 8GB (two 4GB) of 2400MHz DDR4 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible
    Configurable to 16GB or 32GB

3.5GHz model: 8GB (two 4GB) of 2400MHz DDR4 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible
    Configurable to 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB

3.8GHz model: 8GB (two 4GB) of 2400MHz DDR4 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible
    Configurable to 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB

13. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

What's your point:confused:, this is redundant information.

14. DonkeyKongForPresident macrumors newbie

I stand corrected. :)

15. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Apple did this same crap in 2012 with the MBPs.

The 2012 refresh non-retina MBP could only be configured with 8GB from Apple, but the rMBP could be configured with 16GB of RAM. The non-retina was upgradeable and could use 16GB no problem.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    The iMac Pro doesn't look upgradeable. It would also explain why Apple starts off with a high amount of base RAM(32GB) while all models of the normal iMac come with 8GB standard.

16. Appleaker macrumors 68020

The iMac Pro does have slotted RAM, they showed it off multiple times in the keynote. But like this 4K model, the display has to be removed to access it, along with the processor and SSDs.

17. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Great to hear all new 27" iMacs are capable of using the 64GB RAM. And it's also great that this can be added by the user.
    Does anyone know if these are added through a trap door in the bottom of the chin as on previous iMacs?

18. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

No, the motherboard chipset is the same so 16x4 (64) is the maximum configuration.

19. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

The iMac Pro will not be upgradable at all. It uses desktop class RAM, not laptop RAM like the regular iMac. The full sized RAM sticks had to be moved so that the new cooling system air vent on the iMac Pro could be put it the back center; thus, no more RAM access door. I suspect that a lot of things had to be changed to make room for cooling in this beast.

Also, the iMac Pro is really Apple's first true stock "pro" computer. Ever. The baseline kit is so much more than even 80% of what we call pro users need that it's not even funny. The iMac Pro is for audio engineers, 3D modeling, VR development and scientific calculation/number crunching. If you want to do anything else, you would be a fool to spend the money on the iMac Pro. And for those people, $5000 is nothing... and another $1000 or so for maxed out RAM is even less to think about.

What I find interesting is how they will market the iMac Pro going forward once the Mac Pro is introduced in the next year or so. The Mac Pro will obviously be cheaper, but will they market it for "the computer hobbiest" or for the ultra pro user? Or will they (as I suspect) market it the same as the iMac Pro and just position it as the "do it yourself" version of the iMac Pro.

20. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Serious question, would a Xeon, ECC and Workstation graphics card in the Pro benefit me for Lightroom RAW editing and 4K video editing in FCP?

Or would the maxed out non pro be fine? Meaning, from the maxed out iMac to the base iMac Pro, will I see improvements in the kind of work I do?

21. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

You raise a good point about branding; traditionally the Mac Pro has always been top tier, both in specification and price. However now this iMac Pro muddies the waters. If they price and spec the Mac Pro significantly below the iMac Pro people are going to say "hang-on that's not a pro level machine, the iMac Pro is", if they basically spec it as per the iMac Pro but obviously without the screen people will say "I might as well pay the difference and get an iMac Pro because of the gorgeous 5k screen". I can't imagine how they will position it; maybe you're right and it becomes a hobbiest machine but I can't imagine Apple saying "here's the machine for all our patient professional customers, by the way it's a bit of a hobby piece of kit".

22. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Why wouldn't this RAM work? I know everyone is brainwashed to think that Apple uses some "special" memory that needs to cost more or it won't work, but I bet this Crucial memory will work just fine...

23. PhilHo, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017

PhilHo macrumors newbie

It seems that a fully exploited 2017 iMac 27" with external RAM sticks is the better choice than a low level iMac Pro. It is still cheaper than 5.000$ and imagine the prizes for the 10 or 18 cores! You won't get space grey though.;)

I am also afraid that Apple won’t allow to upgrade RAM that easy for future redesigned iMac generations.

24. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

i7-7700k does not support 128GB RAM.

25. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Thanks for confirming. Real technical limitations at least and not those made up out of thin air by Apple. Good to know it's not possible technically than some thing else. 64GB is plenty for me. I run 32GB now on my iMac and i'd like a little bit more but i"m not hurting.