OWC Confirms New Low-End 27-inch iMac Can Be Fitted With 64GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2017.

1. milo macrumors 604

I said upgradable, not slotted. And no, having to remove the display and void the warranty isn't "upgradable" for a mainstream user. And this model (which is 5k, not 4k) has a memory door on the back and Apple lists the model as user accessible. That's my whole point, when the "consumer" 5k 27 inch has a memory door, why not do the same on the "pro" model?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191#install1
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    That's not the iMac pro (which doesn't ship for months), that's the 2017 21 inch iMac.

2. UL2RA Suspended

Yeah I wasn't paying attention to the thread title. My bad.

3. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Okay, calm down. I was saying it is upgradeable because it can be upgraded. Obviously it is something to be done after the warranty has expired. The reason they couldn't have it on the Pro seems too be because of the new cooling systemn although I'm sure if they really wanted to they would find a work around.

4. milo macrumors 604

Perfectly calm, don't project.

I'm talking about user upgradable. There's a huge difference between a door on the back which any user can easily and quickly swap and completely taking the machine apart and voiding the warranty.

Not to mention that "this mac" in the article is a 5k 27 inch. Which has a memory door. So it's not like the iMac pro in that respect.

5. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I know, of course there's a difference and it's a shame that upgradeable RAM isn't found on many other Macs, especially desktops where it should be standard and has no reason not to be. Reasoning for not having it on the Pro is that the cooling system doesn't allow for it in the place where Apple would want it, and it isn't necessarily very important as upgradeability is a selling point of the new Mac Pro and it comes with 32GB minimum unlike the 8GB found on the consumer iMac.
    I still don't think it's justified, though I would accept the change on iMacs if Apple increased the base RAM and also slashed their prices for RA upgrades.

6. milo macrumors 604

I assume you meant upgradeability is not a selling point? I've never seen a "pro" desktop computer with zero options for internal upgrade before this. And I think that the kind of person who needs an 18 core CPU may want more than 32 gigs of ram.

7. Appleaker macrumors 68000

No, I mean it is a selling point. Of the Mac Pro (not iMac Pro).

8. shamangue macrumors newbie

I have the 2017 3.4 ghz iMac 27" and confirm it will hold 4x16gb modules @ 64gb, However it does crash about once a day, restarts automatically. Im using Crucial memory ddr4 2400

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

It requires a major disassembly and re-assembly. The best way is to just buy a Thunderbolt enclosure and instal the SSD in that. Thunderbolt is fast enough to be used as a boot drive.

10. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

That's not what the article says. It says they only offer SKUs with up to 32 GB. Nothing about a limit when the user does their own configuration. I took a brief look at Apple.com, and I couldn't find anything about a limit.