Owned every iPhone, first time might not upgrade.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vin2015, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Vin2015 macrumors member

I know 10,000th thread about 6s to 7 switch.

I have had every iPhone since day 1, every year I have either stood in line or pre-ordered. Every year I have been happy to do so, except this year.

This is the 1st year, I don't see a reason too, as a matter of fact I actually feel like it may be a step back(for me). The only phone I would get would be the 7+, but I'm not crazy about the size, my Wife has a 6+ and i play with it and find it too big for me. I actually find the larger + phone kind of effeminate as I really only see females carrying phablet sized phone, please don't hang me for that comment, but it is true.

Here are my reasons, as a current 6S owner.
    1- The camera is basically the same, I mean yeah the 7 has optical and 1 more element to it, but thats it.
    2- A10 vs A9, so far the consensus seems to be, not that much difference and with the new home button, may actually be slower in real world.
    3- Water/Dust proof, nice I guess, I live in the city and have never dropped my phone in the water, so not really an issue. Plus it's been pretty much proven that and quick 2 second submerge in the toilet(likeliest place I would drop it in water) isn't really going to mess the phone up.
    4- Screen improvement. Again Consensus seems to be "don't see a difference"
    5- Loss or headphone jack. Actually not a big deal for me, I have BT headphones and it comes with a dongle, but again it's nice to have in case.
    6- If you have an ATT/T-Mobile version, you actually lose true world phone abilities.

Like I said, the only reason I would upgrade would be to get a 7+, as I would at least gain a larger true HD screen, longer battery life, and an optical zoom camera, but then I have to deal with a larger phone, and I'm not sold on that and actually passed on it on the 6 and 6S.

IOS 10, was the coolest upgrade to me, and well that was free. If the rumors are true the phone next year sounds like the real advance, OLED UHD screen, wireless charging. Now that sounds like an upgrade, I would want.

2. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

3. bgro macrumors 65816

I'm pretty much in the same boat for the same reasons. Just not convinced the 7+ is worth the $ to upgrade from the 6s+

4. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I just don't understand why people feel the need to create a post about their decision that's been discussed to death.

5. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

HAHAHA, yeah I know their are people here that will defend everything Apple no matter what, but in all honesty, I'm an Apple fan, switched over from PC back in 97, when it wasn't popular at all.

To me if your a true fan, then you can be truthful about a product.

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

You're late to the party. This is a two week ago thread topic.

7. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand people who read threads and then reply, when they hate the topic.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Exactly. What was that song again? 'Here's a quarter, call someone who cares.'

9. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Because they need the likes? I'm really
    Not sure either.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

That's fine, you are allowed to decide this for yourself.

11. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

Just like yellow gate every year.

12. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Understandable. I've always done every other year. I don't really see the 7 being any less of an upgrade than any other year though. Were you really excited going from a 5 to 5s or 6 to 6s?

13. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

You would think. But sometimes that doesn't seem to be the case around these parts. "You can't handle the truth!"

14. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're rationalizing. Some saw even less reason to upgrade to the iPhone 4s as it basically only added Siri, yet you upgraded to that.

15. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Touch ID?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2016 ---
    The "What color are you getting?" posts add so much more to the community.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sorry, meant 4s. Edited post.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

6s owners should be skipping the 7 by default. Unless you want them in matte black or jet black, it offers nothing new to current 6s/6s+ owners and you lose the headphone jack. The improvements are negligible with design, display, and camera quality. But...

.. the iPhone 7's one ace in the hole..
    [​IMG]

Longest battery life ever for iPhones especially for the 7+ when the screen is off while in usage. This could approach SE at bare minimum. Need to wait for more battery tests since still early to do enough battery cycles to calibrate.

18. freepomme Suspended

You're right. I don't see how it's more water resistant than any of these other phones.

Next year is the upgrade year, this year... It's just a clone phone.

iPhone 7 is a do not buy for iPhone 6 owners.

19. sekazi macrumors 6502

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Pretty much true. I upgraded to the 7 because it lost the distracting antenna lines and I'm sick of the light Space Gray that looks basically silver (I rock mine naked). We finally got a version in the iPhone 6 series form factor that isn't an eyesore.

21. Vin2015 thread starter macrumors member

That's cool, actually what got me to write this, was my friend was asking me if I was getting one because i'm and Apple "slut" according to him, and I told him, I wasn't really sold on the new phone. He told me he was getting one, and I said it's an awesome upgrade for him as he is coming from a 5S, but for a 6S owner, I really didn't see the reason too.

Please though, do me a favor, when you get it, don't come on here and complain about a dead pixel, or yellow screen, or how you hate the new home button, and are taking it back because it's no better than the 6/6s you had, LOL!

22. terminator-jq macrumors regular

As as I said in another thread, the 7 is really for us people who held onto our 6 and skipped the 6S. Upgrading from a 6S to a 7 won't bring any major improvements (just like upgrading from the 6 to the 6S wasn't major). However, going from 6 to 7 (most people are on a 2 year cycle anyway) is a great upgrade and I couldn't be happier. Headphone Jack aside, the 7 brings a much better camera, better screen, longer battery, more power and water resistance in addition to everything the 6S has.

Not to mention, even though the 7 is not a complete redesign, Apple did address the 2 things most of us 6 owners didn't like: the camera bump and the antenna bands. The matte black color is also quite nice and much better than space gray.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. I think we all know that next years iPhone will be the one to get but of course, even that will most likely not live up to all the hype and expectations.

23. sekazi macrumors 6502

I do not remember ever complaining about problems with a new iPhone. Warmer screens are better to me. I prefer white to be 5500K instead of the 6500-7000K that the ones complaining want. The only time I think I ever complained about an iPhone was the 5 which the home button died after 11 months but I got it replaced quickly and easily. But I do not remember complaining online about that. I am on a 6 4.7 and cannot wait to upgrade to a JB 7 Plus with the new Sea Blue leather case.

24. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

There is still a "camera bump".

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

It was the first dual core iPhone, which gave it a considerably longer useful lifespan than the 4. And of course there was a camera upgrade, as there is every year (other than original to 3G). But yes, it was a relatively modest upgrade for those who had the 4.