Palm Pre or iPhone? Which to Get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hbg, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hbg macrumors regular

I know neither the Palm Pre or the new iPhone to likely come out this summer are available, so this is shot in the dark question. Which would you buy this summer, knowing what you think you know now? I have the iPhone 3G now but are getting a little bored.

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Come on dude, think about. This is an iphone forum, what kind of response do you think that you will get. Add the fact that nobody has seen or used a pre.

3. ayasinsk macrumors regular

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm in the same boat, except I got 2g. Even though the iPhone is a more superior phone than the pre what I do really like is how palm did multitasking. The only multitasking the iPhone can do is barely play your music, and that's about it. Insure I'll get the new iPhone this summer, but I wish the user interface on it was more like the pre.

4. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

I'd get the new iPhone. I have the original, never owned the 3G, and I love it. I just love everything it does, all the customizing I can do--I've never jailbroken it--I don't know, it's seriously the best phone I've ever had. I had a BlackBerry--traded with my sister, and I missed my iPhone so bad. I take it with me everywhere.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

There is little the pre has that the iPhone doesn't have. There is a lot the iPhone has that the pre doesn't.

6. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Heh...not only that..but what does the OP mean when he sez he is getting "bored" of the iphone. It is a phone. It is not supposed to bring continuous joy to your life...

7. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

How can you say iphone is "superior" to pre when the pre is not even out yet? :confused:

8. Andruw91 macrumors regular

Speaking with no experience with Palm, I would get the iphone since I know the iphone is constantly updating. As for the Palm I don't know how often that will happen

9. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I don't know about you but angels sing when I use my iPhone.......I guess that's just me but I'm basically always happy when I have my iPhone in my hands.

10. ILBandit macrumors regular

About once every 5 years if you go by their past performance. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I was a die hard Palm fan up until the day I bought my iPhone, got tired of waiting on Palm to come out with something new and innovative, so I made the switch.

11. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone can make an accurate decision on that yet, as we have limited information about the Pre.

Just wait til it actually comes out or gets reviewed, then we'll see :D...

12. lazydesi macrumors 6502

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You do have to ask yourself what features your actually going to use also. I think Palms multitasking is neat, but I know that ill NEVER personally need it.

I love the iphone platform tho.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Quantity is not the same as quality.

Updates usually depend on how much needs to be added or fixed.

The iPhone has needed a lot of both types.

Likewise, the Storm had a LOT of updates, very quickly. Do you think that means it's superior? Or that it needed them?

15. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I think that what's been shown of Pre's multitasking is overrated for most users today. Maybe in the future multitasking will be needed by more phone users, but I don't personally know a single person that has complained about accessing their iPhone apps in a fluid manner - which will only be improved by unified search, notifications and CCP.

We'll have to see how Pre performs when their "app store" applications are running in the background using cycles Palm didn't consider. All I've seen so far is the Pre multitasking stagnant apps like contacts, email, photos, etc.

On second thought, the way the Pre SDK (Mojo) uses Javascript and a few hardware hooks, I'm interested to see if I'd even care about multitasking any Pre apps. Again, what Palm's shown multitasked so far isn't anything impressive.

Perhaps you've seen a video that I missed and could point me toward something interesting being multitasked on the Pre.

16. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

even if the palm pre cooked me breakfast in the morning and transformed itself into jessica alba in the evening, you could not pay me to sign a contract with Sprint. Reception and coverage is awful, roaming? seriously?

okay so maybe if it transformed into Jessica Alba...but even so you get my point

17. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

My current phone is a Centro. It runs the ancient Palm OS. Despite its age, it's still an extremely well-built OS. For that reason alone, I will not dismiss the Pre out of hand until I see it reviewed.

Palm is capable of some pretty cool stuff. I hope for their sake the Pre lives up to the huge hype. Another thing to consider is whether Apple will sue Palm for the multi-touch business.

Lots of interesting things should happen around the Pre release. I'll be watching with popcorn in hand.

18. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

--Sarah Palin

19. pavvento macrumors 6502

I don't know what Palm did to you or your family, but I find it incredible how much you hate on a product that hasn't even been released.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, Team Sarah says go with the Pre and McCaine/Palin for the win in 2008.... lol :p:D:p

21. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

it's pretty easy actually...ever used a Treo 700p?

22. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

This IS an iPhone forum. So, iPhone. I hate Sprint so I'd never get the Pre. When I had Sprint they did some crazy stuff, Id never to back.

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're really serious, wait until they both come out. Then, play with them to your heart's content.

24. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The Pre looks quite good, but I don't like their Synergy thing and the way it tries to combine everything. I don't want my Facebook contacts, to be merged with my phone, IM, etc contacts, and vice versa. If I want to contact someone (who's both on my phone and in Facebook, Im's, ect), I'll contact them via the means of my choosing, and I'd expect the response to be via the same means, unless I say "Call me", or "email me".

In Palm's CES 2009 keynote, they ran through a scenario of you receiving a message via IM, and responding to the same person via a SMS.
    That would get confusing for those without a Pre. When you ask a question, or send a message via one set of means, you'd expect to have the response via the same means, imo. Having the conversation in one place on the Pre is fine, but if the person you're talking to, is using email, Facebook, SMS, ect, then they'd get totally confused, lol.

As I said, Pre looks good, but it's the fruit of a response, post MacWorld 2007. With iPhone OS 3.0, Apple will stay ahead and will raise the bar even higher, with the new hardware(when it's eventually announced).

25. coolchris101 macrumors newbie

Exactly, not really the place to come to ask a question like that!