Palm Pre Vs. iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djshott, Jun 3, 2009.

1. djshott macrumors newbie

I've had the opportunity to use, and experience the Palm Pre. I really didn't know much about the Pre before actually using this phone. I've posted my experience here

2. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Similar to my experiences. This Saturday I'm porting out of AT&T and moving over to Sprint to enjoy a Pre. I really like my iPhone and I don't think the Pre is better than the iPhone, at best it will be equal to the iPhone. However AT&T totally kills my iPhone experience.

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm jealous. I just ported my whole family over to AT&T from Sprint 6 months ago. I hope is works out for the best.

4. muledogus macrumors 6502

You better get in line on Thursday.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The morning the iPhone launched I was up bright and early at my AT&T store. I waited in line for two hours as those idiots slowly activated each phone. Finally the person ahead of me went up to the line as it was her turn, she turned around looked at me and what happened? She got the last iPhone.

I was furious, not because she got the last one. Fair is fair, I should of got there earlier. However I was really upset AT&T couldn't do some simple math and say we have X number of phones and Y number of people in line. AT&T even had a rep walking in line educating customers on plans/prices/features.

I'm hoping for a better experience at Sprint. Our store's local manager said they'd be handing out tickets so you know there will be one waiting for you.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Why are you jealous? Does AT&T work well in your area? Are you getting good service? I wouldn't be jealous until the Pre has been out a while, and there's actual data supporting that it's a good phone.

As for Sprint; who knows what's going to happen with them. I think this whole Pre thing is an accident waiting to happen. I'm not bashing the Pre, just that both Palm and Sprint are on very shaky ground, and if this whole thing falters, or stalls at all, one/both will go under hard...

7. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

only 5 more days until we hear about the new iphone! so excited!

8. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

When will Verizon have a good phone to compete! =[

I'm so tempted to switch to Sprint or blah even AT&T...

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

LOL. The OPs article about his Pre experience needs ends with 'The only downside is the network this phone is reliant on. I would never consider being a customer of Sprint, when AT&T can do so much more for me.'

It'll be great when the iPhone will be available on any network. :)

10. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Network coverage is always a YMMV thing, all we can do is go by personal experiences. I have Sprint as my work phone, and a lot of times I have to use it to make personal calls because my AT&T phone has no signal.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, AT&T does work well in my area, but Sprint worked better. And they have better prices too.

As for the actual phone, I do love my iPhone, but it just seems like the Pre does all that I would ever want a cell phone to do. I'm sure 3.0 will solve many of its shortcomings, but I really want user-accessible storage space on my smartphone. I want to be able to download files (not just photos) from my email onto my iPhone. I want to be able to download an mp3 from the internet and add it right to my mp3 player. In short, I want it to act more of a stand-alone computer and the Pre seems to offer this.

12. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Verizon will be getting the Pre within the next 6 months. Along with the Android, Tour, Storm II.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347797,00.asp

13. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I have been an advocate for the palm pre since they first started demoing it. I think it truly is the first phone that can directly compete with the iphone. All the other "iphone killers" that came out I think were either in development before the iphone debuted or were thrown together offering more of a gimmick than an actual product. This should be the start of some real variety in iphone like devices. I have an iphone and love it, but it is always bad for the consumer when you are stuck with just one product that offers this type of functionality. I look forward to Palm's future devices as well as HTC. Variety is a good thing and I'm glad one company actually put some thought in their iphone competitor.

14. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

15. The General macrumors 601

Am I the only one who thinks the Pre is a boatload of meh?

16. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Unless Apple introduces something amazing at WWDC, I will be switching to the Pre. WebOS is 'light-years' ahead of the iPhone right now.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The Pre looks stunning, but I'd never ditch AT&T for Sprint. Bleh.

Here's hoping Apple has something up their sleeves, cuz it'll take quite a bit to one-up what Palm's done here.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it ripples under your finger when you touch it!

:), that aside, desktop level multitasking, as I firmly believed, has been praised by every reviews. many call it "revolutionary'.

19. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

Too bad it will be another year before Apple really responds. Hopefully Palm will have done something about their keyboard situation by then as well to put more pressure on Apple.

20. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

I agree if its anything like the Centro. I can't figure out how people type on it. :confused:

21. abarna21 macrumors regular

I second that, but with verizon. in chicago i lost service with ATT in a lot of places.
    Now I'm in san francisco and no problems here so far...

22. fratboy macrumors regular

that is COMPLETELY false... please state your facts about this

the appstore is lightyears ahead of ANY and i mean ANY application store any phone is offer and that is FACT

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

No, I'm sure others think like you. However more than one person thinks the iPhone is a boatload of meh. See, it's all about opinion. The more choices consumers have, the better off we are. Having played with a Pre myself I think it's a solid phone and Pre/WebOS is off to a fantastic start. Palm isn't going anywhere. Granted there were somethings I missed or didn't like on the Pre but no phone is going to be 100% what I want/need. For a 1.0 product, it's fantastic.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Sigh, I'm ready for the Palm Pre Vs. 3rd Generation iPhone. Its pointless to compare it to the 3G one when its about to be irrelevant soon.