Palm Pre

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 11800506, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Palm just released their new phone, the Pre with their new OS and featuring a wireless charging system. What do you think about it and how it will compare to the iPhone? I guess we'll really have to see until reviewers get a hold of it but it looks interesting.

[​IMG]

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/the-palm-pre/#continued

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Looks interesting. Will have to see how the software stacks up. To be honest I'm actually rather happy with my 680 but this looks much nicer. Wireless charging sounds interesting. The "gesture area" looks familiar though....

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I saw this too. Looks great. Too bad its on sprint. I am more than likely getting an iphone this summer after they make some upgrades to it, but more and more phones are coming out that make me want to reconsider that decision. I think apple really needs to step it up with their next Iphone and really blow people away as they did when it was first introduced. I love the easiness on the iphone with my mac and the app store and would hate to have to try something else, but if apple doesn't do something special this summer ill have to look into something else!

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

What else can they do to 'blow people away' with a phone form factor? Not too much. Short of making the thing unfold into a laptop, there isn't much innovation, hardware wise, that can be done. Full touch on the whole phone? Slide out keyboard I guess? That won't blow people away, though, although people might like it.

And new software features are great and all, but the masses don't get 'blown away' by software.

5. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I've been jonesing for an iPhone for the past couple months. The only reason I've been waiting is that I'm not due for the discounted upgrade on my existing AT&T account until the end of February. (Well, okay, I had hoped some updates would hit this past Tuesday, but I'm still not ready to fork over $200 I don't need to.)

The Palm Pre has me seriously interested. It'll be interesting to see when it shows up, how long the battery lasts, and how well it really works. But it does look from this like it could be a serious competition.

I wonder how good Sprint's network is in Southern ME and NH... The prices for the plans look pretty decent, though it appears that there's no rollover.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Looks interesting. I'll wait for some real-world tests, of course, but it might be a contender. It's especially interesting for people like me who use a CDMA provider and therefore can't use an iPhone.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

que: "oh man, just another iPhone imitation. FAIL..."

Really, that's awesome. A wireless charger? Absolutely cool. Too bad I just switched from Sprint. Looks like Apple is going to have to step it up. Hmmm. Can this phone save sprint?

8. 10dulkar macrumors member

looks really really good...wow! have to hand it to palm - its evolutionary and revolutionary at the same...

9. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I agree with evolutionary.
    Whats revolutionary about it though? The wireless charger? Yeah, its cool, but it doesn't really improve the phone itself.

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i'm impressed. i'd like to get my hands on one for a bit.

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

It looks stunning, and the webOS looks interesting, and would certainly make it easy to dev. for.

Shame with it being CDMA we in the UK might never get our hands to it.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Palm will have at least a gsm version out. They tend to get around to it (though Sprint may have a year of exclusivity or something).

13. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I'm *really* intrigued. I've been eying different phones to get when my 2G iPhone contract is up in June. This DEFINITELY has my attention. And what I like most is the early impressions of how incredibly snappy it is. My iPhone takes a good few seconds to load an app, and sometimes getting into a text conversation can take a good 6 or 7. It gets annoying when you do it 100 times a day. If this thing is *QUICK* I think I might switch.

Then again... I would think Apple would release something this summer, cause a lot of iPhone contracts are gonna be up...

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Interesting .....

Not giving Palm the benefit of the doubt just yet, but I'm definitely interested in seeing some video of this thing in action.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So how is this wireless charger supposed to work?

Will it fry your pet's brain if it wanders between the phone and the charger? I'm not going to say that exploding cat heads would be bad for Sprint, but I don't think it could be all that good...

16. 10dulkar macrumors member

my gut feel is that the phone is evolutionary, and the OS is revolutionary...

i guess engadget agrees with me too...

1:54PM - We just sat down with Palm for a more in-depth look at the device, and here are our takeaways. First off, the software and hardware they're showing right now isn't the final version. They're updating and tweaking as we speak, so some of the features haven't been implemented yet. Here's our take: the UI is incredibly well thought out and smooth. Animations going in and out of apps, and all of the menus and switching are done with a grace and simplicity that we rarely see on any device. The UI outclasses most of its competition on a number of levels, and actually may be quite a bit more revolutionary than the iPhone. The multitasking works like a charm, and reps say you can push it quite hard before you'll need to close applications.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Don't you love how different countries do things differently? :p

Edit: UMTS version coming

18. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Sounds fantastic, can't wait to get my paws on it for a test drive. But, knowing how Sprint functions, I won't hold my breath.

20. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm assuming it would charge via induction. You'd still need to have it in a charging dock. It wouldn't charge of over the air as such.

22. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

There is video of the phone on Engadget. Having watched it, so far this is the first phone that I would consider a reasonable competitor to the iPhone in a few regards. Its not finished yet, and although its a very early impression, I am impressed.

This is definitely a good thing as it will mean Apple will have to up their game.

Its quite incredible to look at the mobile phone industry of recent and how it has changed. The way things have gone I see it that there was, Before iPhone and now After iPhone. There is no doubting that devices like this are coming out now because of the iPhone. Which in turn should push Apple to innovate even further.

Am looking forward to the reviews on this one.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wonder if this is going to help Palm or just be a footnote like the final hurrahs of the Amiga were for the Commodore empire. I mean... it looks pretty impressive, but this is Palm we're talking about. Their chances of not turning it into a failboat are slim at very best.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

People like to complain that the iPhone wasn't as big a deal as everyone says...that there was nothing special about it.

But this is exactly what made the iPhone so important: It forced everyone ELSE to really start trying. You're totally correct.

25. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

If it actually pans out as a close iPhone competitor than I hope it forces Apple to innovate further and create something even better for the next generation. The form factor looks a bit funky IMO, but it seems to be turning out nicely.