Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Pantech 4G LTE Modem From Verizon Now Compatible With Mac OS X

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by Macworld, Verizon has released a new version of its VZAccess Manager software, offering Mac OS X support for the carrier's Pantech UML290 4G LTE modem. While Verizon launched its LTE service for mobile broadband device in a number of markets back in December, Verizon's two LTE-capable USB modems did not initially offer support for Mac OS X devices.

With today's release, the Pantech modem can now be used with Mac OS X machines, while the LG modem is still awaiting software support to enable connectivity.
Verizon is now offering a version of its VZAccess Manager for Mac that brings compatibility with one of the network’s two 4G USB modems, the Pantech UML290. The newly released version 7.2.4 (2534b) of the VZAccess Manager software allows Mac users to plug in the UML290 and, along with a compatible data plan, get access to Verizon’s high-speed LTE network in 38 markets around the U.S.
Verizon is offering the Pantech UML290 for $100 when purchased with a two-year data contract. Monthly pricing for the data packages comes in at $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB.

Verizon is set to launch the iPhone 4 to its existing customers in just a few days, with general availability opening up next week. The Verizon iPhone is not, however, a 4G LTE device, and no LTE phones are expected to be available for Verizon's network until later this year.

Article Link: Pantech 4G LTE Modem From Verizon Now Compatible With Mac OS X

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
VZWRumors

I get the sense that this website is slowly becoming a Verizon oriented rumor and news site ahead of Mac and iOS. Granted, Mac is part of this rumor and others like it associated with Verizon, but it sure seems to be geared primarily for Verizon first and other Mac associated stuff is supplemental.

This is just one man's opinion, feel free to disagree with me if you'd like... no harm no foul. I am not trying to start a war here, just merely an observation.

- Jay

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Generally, the software for these is programmed in a way that it uses 180% of your CPU constantly even if you're not using the modem.

Comment

SuperMatt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2002
What's annoying about the 4G offerings from Verizon? I dunno, they advertise these super-fast speeds, and then limit you to 5GB per month! If you watch streaming video for just a few hours, you will use up all your bandwidth. What's the point of having the fast speed if you're only using 5GB per month? Just use the slower network if you have those kind of limits. After all, you're probably not doing anything too bandwidth-intensive if you only need 5GB of total throughput per month.

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
What's annoying about the 4G offerings from Verizon? I dunno, they advertise these super-fast speeds, and then limit you to 5GB per month! If you watch streaming video for just a few hours, you will use up all your bandwidth. What's the point of having the fast speed if you're only using 5GB per month? Just use the slower network if you have those kind of limits. After all, you're probably not doing anything too bandwidth-intensive if you only need 5GB of total throughput per month.
One major problem is that no one is offering 4G, at least not what we were led to believe that 4G would be. The problem has become so pervasive that the powers-that-be have said: "Heck, if you want to call it '4G,' then it's '4G,' OK?" Perhaps, one day we will have 4G that is real 4G. My only fear is that it will be called "5G."

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Those data plans are outrageous. They can keep them, I'll stick with Netshare / Handy Flashlight for my sharing needs.

Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I'll stick with Clear's $40 a month, no contract, no cap plan that works with all my devices. =p

Comment

BC2009

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2009
I would much rather have an LTE mobile hotspot than one of these modems. No drivers needed and you can use it with all of your devices. I don't really understand the market for 3G wireless dongles when 3G mobile hotspots are available. All they need to do now is release a 4G mobile hotspot.

EDIT: And if you are going to impose a data cap, then why wouldn't somebody in the US just go with Sprint/Clear for WiMAX access (slightly slower, but all you can eat).

Comment

ThomasJL

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
Another good punch to AT&T

I'm no Verizon fanboy, but I must admit that I just love seeing more Apple customers ditch AT&T. Some may argue that both Verizon and AT&T are both evil, but it is clear that Verizon is the lesser of the two evils.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What's with Verizon's fascination with HAL (red ring / eye design)? Are the Verizon suits ruled by robots already?

Comment

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I get the sense that this website is slowly becoming a Verizon oriented rumor and news site ahead of Mac and iOS. Granted, Mac is part of this rumor and others like it associated with Verizon, but it sure seems to be geared primarily for Verizon first and other Mac associated stuff is supplemental.

This is just one man's opinion, feel free to disagree with me if you'd like... no harm no foul. I am not trying to start a war here, just merely an observation.

- Jay
You're not alone.

Comment

chris617

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
BE CAREFUL. The VZAccess Manager software doesn't support 64-bit mode... You'll have to reboot in 32-bit kernel mode to use it.

Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Have I missed something, is Verizon available outside the US, or is this a different definition of 'markets'?

They mean markets as in what cities it is available in. Right now they only cover about 30 "markets."

Comment

noshjewman

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Is it me, or are these data rates INSANE?
At the moment, Verizon must have an incredible amount of bandwidth spare, considering how few people will be on their LTE network.

To get this dongle you have to sign up for $1300?? and for just 5GB a month?
$1300 + tax for 120 GB of bandwidth.

That's just insane. What would the equivalent on 3G cost?

There can't be many people (business people) who actually NEED this: most business people will need only a few MB to access e-mail (and can happily take 3G speeds), although I'm sure many on these boards would want more. Not enough for Verizon to have a great business model.
Will they really sell many of these?

Comment

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I'm no Verizon fanboy, but I must admit that I just love seeing more Apple customers ditch AT&T. Some may argue that both Verizon and AT&T are both evil, but it is clear that Verizon is the lesser of the two evils.

Same evil, just a different address. No one can escape the grasp of Evil Fruit, Inc. Muahhahhahaha!!!!

Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I would much rather have an LTE mobile hotspot than one of these modems. No drivers needed and you can use it with all of your devices. I don't really understand the market for 3G wireless dongles when 3G mobile hotspots are available. All they need to do now is release a 4G mobile hotspot.

The dongle does give you another option. Say I'm in a public place and I don't want to create a WIFI network. I can plug the dongle directly into my laptop.

It also lets me upgrade the router if I want to. Currently I'm using the Clear rebranded Cradlepoint battery opperated hotspot. In the future I'll be replacing it with a higer end Cradlepoint to be installed in my Jeep. When I'm home it will light up my house and when I'm on the road I'll always have my mobile hotspot. Then if I fly somewher I can remove the dongle and use it with the older battery powered device.

In general I agree with you -- for most use cases there isn't that much that is compelling about the dongles. (Well, it is compelling for the carriers as it encourages you to get one for every device. ;))

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Will this bump you down to 3G speeds after the Data Cap Limit or stop all together?

Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Is it me, or are these data rates INSANE?
At the moment, Verizon must have an incredible amount of bandwidth spare, considering how few people will be on their LTE network.

To get this dongle you have to sign up for $1300?? and for just 5GB a month?
$1300 + tax for 120 GB of bandwidth.

That's just insane. What would the equivalent on 3G cost?

There can't be many people (business people) who actually NEED this: most business people will need only a few MB to access e-mail (and can happily take 3G speeds), although I'm sure many on these boards would want more. Not enough for Verizon to have a great business model.
Will they really sell many of these?

Many people won't need more until they are about half way through watching that movie on Netflix. ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.