Parallels 3.0 Upgrade Discount (10%)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Our Digital River affiliate program is offering a 10% off discount for Parallels Desktop 3.0 upgrades. The upgrade typically runs $49.99 and allows existing Parallels customers to upgrade to the latest 3.0 version of Parallels which offers 3d support, tighter Mac OS X and Windows integration and more.

Parallels is virtualization software for Intel Macs that allows them to run Windows (or Linux) alongside Mac OS X.

Full retail (non-upgrade) pricing is $79.99, and upgrade discount only available through this link.

As affiliate links, sales made through these links financially benefit MacRumors

Article Link: Parallels 3.0 Upgrade Discount (10%)

Retired
May 16, 2006
as great as this discount is....

is this front page news?
It shows that VMWare's market entrance is having an effect on Parallels, and this will push things feature-wise - encouraging many more potential switchers :)

iGuy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
No such thing

Parallels is a virtualization software
It is 'software', a 'software application' or most correctly, a 'software application program'.

There is not, never has been and never will be any such thing as 'a software'.

I understand that English is not the first language for many readers and posters on this forum, but there is no excuse for this brutal raping of the language in thread-starting posts.

Please, please, please, have an editor review these before they get posted.

Arn, shame on you.

~iGuy

p.s. Why, yes, I'm in a bad mood. How could you tell? ;)

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
heh. whatever profits the site.

i can't imagine how much bandwidth this site uses..

-nickspohn

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I've been meaning to buy 3.0 anyway. I had too many problems with 2.0, and I need a Windows laptop for school =/

I'll contribute!

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Pressure

They must be feeling the pressure from VMware. I know I haven't upgraded because VMware's Unity feature is much better than Coherence. Though it's still beta, I think VMware will eventually eclipse Parallels as the superior product. Still, the competition between the two should make both products even better.

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
I would like to support MacRumors in this way, but I've already upgraded… so, sorry… :eek: ;) :)

They must be feeling the pressure from VMware. I know I haven't upgraded because VMware's Unity feature is much better than Coherence. Though it's still beta, I think VMware will eventually eclipse Parallels as the superior product. Still, the competition between the two should make both products even better.
I have both… and while I do love Parallels… once I tried VMware, I kinda started using that more then Parallels, because I think it starts & quits faster (IMO)…

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
How so better, I find Coherence to be a lot more useful and better. I am using parallels 3 and VMware fusion beta 4.

geoffy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I bought version 2.0 in March. Whatver happened to the free upgrade? Anyway, is 3.0 actually way better? I run a few business applications. No games.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I need a Windows laptop for school =/
Thank god I don't! I would like to know why you do though

I bought version 2.0 in March. Whatver happened to the free upgrade? Anyway, is 3.0 actually way better? I run a few business applications. No games.
It is quite a bit faster. It has a snapback feature which allows you to create a restore point incase you get a virus, delete a file etc.

Jaqen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
Lame. I bought Parallels once already. All future upgrades should be free. Ripoff! I'll just download it.

Lailoken

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2006
How so better, I find Coherence to be a lot more useful and better. I am using parallels 3 and VMware fusion beta 4.
I bought Parallels, but have canceled my upgrade to 3.0 and bought VMWare rather. I've used VMWare for many years now, and their support is way better.

What clinched it for me is the way they kinda danced about DX10, and how they forgot to mention loudly that DX10 support did not mean that Direct 3D would be fully implemented.

VMWare was more open about this, plus their VM is a lot faster now in the latest versions. Not to mention better legacy VM compatibility with existing VMware VMs (there are a lot of them around) and more experience in the field.

That said, I feel both products are pretty much on par at the moment, with Parallels perhaps more rounded-off at the moment, but with VMWare approaching very fast.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
More Mac like

First, Unity displays all Windows apps separately in Expose, Coherence has them all grouped together. Secondly, Unity has a nice subtle drop shadow for each Window application that makes it look similar to native OS X apps. But more importantly, I find Unity to be much faster with screen redrawing; Coherence has an annoying lag with clips of the Windows desktop showing as you move the window around.

edit: I should add that I haven't upgraded to the newest version of Parallels, so if they have fixed these issues I might consider upgrading. I'm on build 3188.

petercooper

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
I just bought VMWare Fusion and have found it far better than Parallels in the last few months.. *especially* for running Linux. The deal breaker on Parallels for me (although they might have fixed this in a recent build, I don't know) is that it doesn't use more than one core. VMWare can use both cores for the VM.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
I just bought VMWare Fusion and have found it far better than Parallels in the last few months.. *especially* for running Linux. The deal breaker on Parallels for me (although they might have fixed this in a recent build, I don't know) is that it doesn't use more than one core. VMWare can use both cores for the VM.
That's a good point. I've had trouble with Parallels and some Linux distros like Ubuntu. Again, I don't know if Parallels 3 has fixed this. Anyone confirm Ubuntu works with Parallels 3?

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
It is for me. Version 2 use to lock up my Mac Everytime a Windows update came and rudly rebooted itself. Version 3 doesn't lockup my mac on me anymore. Also being able to take snapshots is useful and a quick backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.