Parallels 8 with Retina Support Now Available for Existing Customers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parallels announced the availability of Parallels 8 upgrades for the Mac for existing Parallels Desktop customers. Parallels 8 is the latest version of their virtualization software that allows Mac users to run other operating systems, such as Windows, alongside OS X.
"People don't need to make an either/or choice between Mac and Windows because Macs running Parallels Desktop 8 empower people to simultaneously use applications that best suit their needs - regardless of whether it's an app for OS X, Windows, Google Chrome OS, Ubuntu, or even Android," said Parallels CEO Birger Steen.
New features in Parallels 8 includes OS X Mountain Lion integration as well as Retina support and performance boosts:
- Speak, don't type - Use the new Mountain Lion Dictation tool across both Windows and Mac environments
- Open in Internet Explorer - When a website doesn't render well within Safari, launch it in Internet Explorer with a click of a button
- Parallels Wizard - Download and automatically install Windows or other operating systems (OSes) including Google Chrome OS, Ubuntu and Android on your Mac.
- Windows apps on OS X Launchpad - Add Windows applications to the Mountain Lion or Lion Launchpad to quickly launch Mac and Windows applications used most
- Consolidated notifications - Integration of Windows notifications into the Mac OS X Notification Center makes it easy to stay updated on Windows virtual machine operations
- Mountain Lion gestures for Windows apps - Enjoy seamless integration of Mountain Lion gestures with Windows apps such as pinch to zoom, Mission Control, three-finger drag, swipe between full-screen apps, two-finger scroll, Launchpad and rotate
- Retina display support - Enjoy stunning Retina display resolution in Windows OS and Windows applications to see crisper fonts, vivid photos, images and animations
- Improved Parallels Desktop 8 performance - up to 30 percent faster for input/output (I/O) operations, 30 percent faster for games and up to 25 percent faster for virtual machine operations such as boot, suspend, shutdown and resume, when compared to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac
Parallels 8 will be available starting today as an upgrade for existing Parallels Desktop users. (Parallels' website not showing version 8 at time of publication) Upgrades are priced at $49.99.

The full version will become available for $79.99 both online and in retail stores starting on September 4th. C ustomers who purchased Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac on or after July 25, 2012, are eligible for a free upgrade.

Article Link: Parallels 8 with Retina Support Now Available for Existing Customers

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I've always used Bootcamp to insure the best possible performance, and I'm sure that's always going to be the case, but it might be time to give Parallels a test drive.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
What a nice timing and rare opportunity.

Parallels 8 works best on OSX 8 and also can run Windows 8

Such a harmony :)
Three different companies, two of them are not friends.

miniroll32

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Still overpriced, lol...

(and their education discounts are about as useful as a chocolate teapot)

Last edited:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
30% faster gaming performance? I'm in!

We'll see how that pans out. Hopefully this will make DayZ smoother. :)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I've always used Bootcamp to insure the best possible performance, and I'm sure that's always going to be the case, but it might be time to give Parallels a test drive.
You may be surprised just how good it is, i used Bootcamp to game, but now i use Parallels (still launching the Bootcamp partition) for things like Starwars The Old Republic, and other games, the only games ive had issues with have been Skyrim (black screen) and starwars, force unleashed (dog slow).

For none-gaming its supurb, the ability to have a mix of apple and windows apps open as windows, and to be able to copy and paste between them is hands-down the best reason to run Parallels.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
What a nice timing and rare opportunity.

Parallels 8 works best on OSX 8 and also can run Windows 8

Such a harmony :)
Three different companies, two of them are not friends.
Nice! :)

I want to install it on my Mac Pro '08, 8 x 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 5870

This is gr8!

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I'm a computer programmer and everyone I know uses VMware Fusion. Virtual machines that were created from a PC can be used on a Mac with Fusion. What advantage does Parallels have (besides the price)?

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'm a computer programmer and everyone I know uses VMware Fusion. Virtual machines that were created from a PC can be used on a Mac with Fusion. What advantage does Parallels have (besides the price)?
OVER the years, it's been: VMWare fusion = more stable, Parallels = more powerful (especially graphics wise)
I'm not sure about about now

I used VMWare fusion for a while, and I'm giving Parallels a try now! I'm excited

kubaw

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
I wonder how they provide Retina support for Windows-guest operating system.

And also which version of Windows. I am quite used to my XP.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
No support for allocating more than 8gb RAM to either vm yet? Many of us are running 16gb or even 32gb on our machines and the slider max is still only 8gb. Has this been increased in version 8 I wonder? I'll probably upgrade anyways but it would be nice to know beforehand. :)

nex4k

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
I wonder how they provide Retina support for Windows-guest operating system.

And also which version of Windows. I am quite used to my XP.
I guess by upscaling the frame 2x, whereas the window border is retina-ized :p
WinXP will stay, I think. You won't be able to do it via BootCamp in Combo but a VM saved as file to disk should still work.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
50 bucks for this laughable upgrade?
No thanks, I'll stay with 7.
At some point I'm guessing it'll make an appearance in one of those $50 software bundles. If there's even one other app you want it's a bargain. I've got three separate licenses going back to version 3 because of this.

nex4k

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
At some point I'm guessing it'll make an appearance in one of those $50 software bundles. If there's even one other app you want it's a bargain. I've got three separate licenses going back to version 3 because of this.
Just one other? Nope.
The majority of apps in such a bundle have to be "yeah I can really use this" for me to even think about maybe buying it and a pure maintenance upgrade (which I think should be free anyways), with a few little new features I don't need at all, of Parallels Desktop does not qualify for this rating in my eyes.
If it's an added bonus on something I'd anyway buy I surely won't throw it away, but it won't affect my considerations when thinking about buying a bundle.