Parallels Desktop 15 Switches to Apple's Metal Graphics API, Gains Sidecar, Keychain, and Drag and Drop Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. H2SO4 macrumors 601

What a silly post. Just as one man cannot be everything and neither can one OS. Parallels is not just running about Windows, you've shown your bias straight away there.
    Bootcamp is great if you don't mind rebooting.
    To be as dismissive as you are then. How have they forced you to upgrade? It's your choice. Just ditch the MacOS entirely and run Windows on the hardware instead.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 ---
    Let's just say that the home version still works is a business. Up to you how ethical you want to be and whether you need the extra features.
    This one feature is enough for me to upgrade.

I get that the upgrade is cheaper, but do you lose anything over the full?

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 68000

I’ve always felt that parallels has ran kind of clunky.. I use it about once or twice a week and I hate it every time I open it.
    (2018 MacBook Pro with 32gb of ram. 560x)

3. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Who's running Parallels 15 with Windows 10 on a 16 GB 2017 MacBook Core m3? I'm curious as to your experiences.

Windows 7 ran fine with VMWare with an older slower 8 GB machine (with 3 GB allocated to the VM and SSD) for business applications, but I haven't tried Parallels lately.

4. Mr. Dee macrumors 68020

Mr. Dee

I’m still on VMWare Fusion 8.5 on Sierra, but I am planning to switch back to VirtualBox because the performance has gotten awful. These commercial Hyper Visors require you upgrade every year because they know within a year, the software is will get slow and awful to use. For what I do, which is mostly reference testing, VB should be enough.

5. fireguy286 macrumors 6502

fireguy286

I installed the update an hour ago and have had zero issues, and I use it all day, everyday pretty extensively. Latest Catalina beta.

6. javco macrumors member

And also a new payment

7. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I believe that will stay and it's a business decision on their part to slightly limit the home edition.

Well, as a PROfessional software developer, $100/year for a product doesn't even register, I mean, it's less than an hour of my time. If I wanted to play games, I'd just get a dedicated gaming rig, or play games on consoles (I prefer the latter :) )

I went from Parallels, made brief use of VMWare, back to Parallels - then, due to some very specific needs, I wound up switching over to BC - recently, however, I went back to Parallels (currently on v14), because I was moving back and forth between OSs enough to where it was hassle, and the mild performance hit was much less of an issue. I mostly prefer MacOS as my primary computing platform, so with Windows back in a VM, I get that, and I'm also able to do neat stuff like develop a native mobile app in XCode __and__ the backend with VS/IIS/MSQL concurrently (the MS based tools on the Mac still aren't quite there). I'm also running in Coherence which works really well.

The other big driver was me moving to a 32GB machine ('18 Mini), with more limited resources, it's nice to have them all dedicated to a single OS, but with 32 (or possible 64) GB of RAM, tossing 16GB at the Win10 VM leaves plenty of RAM for the host (MacOS).

FYI, upgrades are just a license model, no difference vs. an outright non-upgrade purchase (I'm on like my 5th upgrade, and I always score them later in the product cycle, so usually it's only $39).

8. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Pro and Business Editions have a $99 / year subscription price.

I thought the idea behind software subscriptions was free updates to software ?

9. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

It's just a feature difference, not a license-for-use difference.

Reboot solved it.

Mojave (10.14.6)

10. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

My experience:
    1. I run Parallels 14 for Mac with WIN10 and its apps on a separate space.
    2. This is on my MBPr (16G memory).
    3. Its use is to launch native WIN10 apps, unavailable otherwise under macOS -- nothing graphics intensive.
    Gotchas:
    1. avoid "coherence" like the plague (i.e. running WIN10 apps with MacOS apps on colocated window space).
    2. Parallels is a memory pig, so assign as much memory to Parallels as is sensible, while not starving macOS and its apps. [Check macOS Activity Monitor for memory pressure -- i.e. swap used.]
    3. when running Parallels you become captive -- there are no automated ways to escape Parallel's virtual environment and migrate your apps and its file systems to bare metal WIN10 hardware.
    After that, my overall experience is OK. [Ah... my backups are macOS bootable copies using Carbon Copy Cloner.]
    So, other than those gotchas, all aces/s

[And, yes, the yearly $49.99 upgrades are annoying after a few iterations.]

11. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

It is free with a current subscription. I think they mean if you have an older non-subscription Business/Pro license.

12. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Maybe that's an update for a version that pre-dates their moving to a subscription based license? (and certainly it applies to the home version). You are of course correct, if you're on a current Biz Sub, the update is "free".

It's not particularly "automated" (and a few steps), but there are some ways to do this (assuming the Window activation doesn't get whacked ... :D)

13. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Didn't solve my issue in Catalina "Shared Profile functionality doesn't work in virtual machines", rendering it basically useless. Issue logged again with Parallels.

14. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Thanks for the tip. I now have a couple new options to try out before risking the PD15 update I just bought.

15. critter13 macrumors 6502

16. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

Headless Mode... that's why. Don't need to be a DEV to take advantage of that. Charging extra for that is ripoff. In fact you can launch headless from the command line in parallels standard edition, but the GUI doesn't properly support that.
    Also I don't need a subscription for the next version, because the host doesn't get newer OSX updates.

17. critter13 macrumors 6502

can confirm that its quite a bit faster than Parallels 13. using pro version. only use it for trading software where I have dozens of charts up with indicators or strategies and things have definitely sped up, hopefully they can keep improving it throughout the year

18. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

Link please! Subscription Fee is 100 per year with a discounted upgrade of only 50 as far as I understand...

19. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I have version 14. I can't keep shelling out for updates so I'm going to have to pass....

20. gsurf123 macrumors regular

Parallels has completely alleviated my need to have a dedicated Windows machine for testing of my applications. They do software right by continually making improvements. The cost is reasonable and I have found the product to be better than Fusion. If you are a casual user either will work though. At $50 for each upgrade or $100/year for a subscription it is good deal. I realize there are free products that will work, but I've never had a problem. For a casual user the $80 entry point is reasonable given the quality of the product and you don't have to upgrade to every new version. A Windows VM is significantly better than a few hundred dollar Windows computer and takes up zero space.
    $80 for one time usage and $50 for a version update.
    Along with improvements. You are not forced to upgrade so there is nothing to complain about.
    I have a feeling your problem may be not having a clean version of Windows as a starting point. I am running a 2014 MacBook Pro and the various versions of Windows I use for different purposes are Windows XP, 7, 10, Server 2008 and Server 2012. None are clunky of course all were clean installs. Whenever I have created a new VM I go back to clean versions I saved on an external drive to avoid the reinstall process. It works well for me.

21. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

My post was specifically about the price in the context of my use case (and most of the developers I know), if you've got a specific use case where the product doesn't work, it's doesn't really matter if it's $1, right? :)

22. Digital Dude, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    I held off on Parallels for several years, but last year I took the plunge. I purchased the Pro version with all the advanced features. Initially, it seemed to work reasonably well on my 16GB/2TB RAM 2017 MBP. However, it wasn't long before things went south, and I had to call tech support to fix an issue. That lasted a few weeks until it entirely hosed my system. Since then, I have been trying to weed-out the remaining files which are scattered everywhere on my mac. Removing it from your system is NO EASY task. My System Utility now reports corruption and errors. Part of the problem is likely insufficient memory. Maybe with a 32GB RAM Mac, it would behave better, but it seems to go south after any significant update, or when I used their utility to clean things' up (bad move). If I had a MacPro with true independent drives (like before), I would use it on a separate drive.

EDIT: Oh, one last thing'. It will also run your fans to max speed the second you try and use it.

23. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

Every time I open Parallels on my 13-inch 2018 MacBook Pro (16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD), the fans always spin up to max power. It's irritating. I am not even doing anything heavy on Windows 10 when I boot it up. The only reason I have it is because I need access to Internet Explorer...

24. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

So if I want to run an older macOS too instead of Windows, what would I use?

This or VMware?

25. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

so is this likely to run fallout 4 at a passable speed on a 2017 imac? 3.5ghz i5, radeon pro 575 4gb, 24gb of ram?