Parallels Desktop 15 Switches to Apple's Metal Graphics API, Gains Sidecar, Keychain, and Drag and Drop Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Critical failure #2. Fails to activate the (already activated I believe) shared networking interface, which is required to use it via vagrant. When I contacted support their first suggestion was to just set the VM to bridged mode networking o_O. I don't have time to follow it through today I'll report back tomorrow if I get further updates from them tomorrow about this issue.

2. H2SO4 macrumors 601

That's just a tad vague.

3. eveningclouds macrumors newbie

I use Parallels for one purpose only, to run Quickbooks Pro. Every year I upgrade based on the promise that Parallels will run 'faster,' and every year Parallels is slow, consumes massive cpu, takes forever to open and close Windows, etc etc. I'd be very wary of any claims about speed boosts. I have a chronic Parallels Service (Not Responding) message in Activity Monitor, and I've not been able to figure out how to get rid of it, or even if it's a problem. Tech support has not been helpful, although there appear to be very technical arguments that provide a solution, but it's very complicated as only a Windows solution can be.

4. kis macrumors 68000

yup, and every single time it's at least 80% faster. By now, Parallels is faster than light and renders you videos before you can even think about having it do that task.

From my own experience, it's still slow as molasses, international keyboards STILL don't work properly and it's at least 50'000 times faster (to use their own lingo) to use Bootcamp.

5. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Dang, I just upgraded my two copies of 12 to 14 a month ago...

6. coolfactor macrumors 601

Noble effort on that video, but way too washed out. Don't try to copy Apple's clean-white appearance, do your own thing!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 ---
    So upgrade again. it's only money.

7. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Why the hell would I want to play Mark of the Ninja: Remastered via Parallels? The game has a native Mac version…

8. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

It’s only $100 to upgrade two licenses for someone who is on a rather constrained budget right now - took me a long to time to justify upgrading from 12 as it was...

Oh well. Maybe next year.

9. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502a

jimmy_uk

Is this something I could do to run Sony Acid Pro 7?

10. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Possibly. If you are interested in investigating that, the first step is to see if WINE supports it. Drop by https://www.winehq.org and check their compatibility database.

If it is supported, then the process of using Wineskin to wrap the app is pretty straightforward.

11. nitramluap macrumors regular

It was a requirement for me too, for many years... but I finally managed to find solutions that allowed me to ditch Windows, but moving to Bootcamp was the first intermediate step. I never really *needed* Windows and macOS running concurrently.

12. whosthis macrumors member

Is there no grace period covering updates shortly after buying?

13. AndyWen macrumors newbie

AndyWen

Rarely or never I should say, student rate do not include Pro version.

14. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

There probably is, but it’s been three months (which in all regards is actually a decent amount of time - I just don’t upgrade often so for me it feels like not long ago)

I might email them but it’s totally on me so I‘m not expecting them to do anything because it’s been longer than a few weeks.

15. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Maybe they spend too much money on hiring marketing interns. :p
    Maybe things like office 365, Microsoft azure AD.
    Sadly this is impossible for me. But I agree that “latest is not always the greatest”.
    Last time I check it does not support latest Mojave yet. The latest 6.0 version won’t run properly in Mojave and 32-bit VM will not boot.
    Adobe strategy, basically.
    That’s why I am glad that acronis has a proprietary license option for on-premises install that has a one-time cost.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

August is usually when the new versions come out since the new macOS comes out in September.

17. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I know it will have problems with Catalina, but I'll have to check to see if I've actually run it on Mojave. I have Mojave on my 2017 MBA and High Sierra on my iMac (where I run VB).

18. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I also want to know.
    I cant agree with this more.
    Same for iOS update.

19. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

Nope. macOS is free. Period. Does not matter what the hardware costs.

20. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

As an update, I asked - anyone who purchased Parallels 13 on or after August 1st, 2019 is eligible for a free upgrade. Too far out for me but at least there’s something there!

21. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

His idea is we pay for the macOS upgrade as part of hardware cost, hence the “free upgrade” is not free.
    Another thing I want to know is can I downgrade to 14 or get pro features as a one-time cost? What would happen if I don’t keep paying for subs?

22. Tech198 macrumors G5

This would been good for WINE (ports), but i won't hope..

23. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I can see you don’t run your own or anybody else’s business.
    Nothing is free.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It’s the marketing of Silicon Valley firms that promise this and that for so long I become wary of software promising the best every time Apple comes out new Mac OS!

Plus if they used X-Code from the begging then they wouldn’t have to make a new updgrade every year! Plus don’t get me started about software subscriptions, they are wrong in my book because if the sad X-Code then they all they would have to do is just recompile their source code every version of Mac OS!

25. Kylereilly macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Planet Coast would run on this? It didn't in Parallels 14, but this now has DirectX 11 support. I might have to download the Trial before I buy and see if it works. Has anyone tried it yet?