Parallels Desktop 15 Switches to Apple's Metal Graphics API, Gains Sidecar, Keychain, and Drag and Drop Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

run Crysis 3?! Through virtualization?! On a Mac?! thats hysterical

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Working fine for me. I just upgraded. It's installing the Parallel tools right now (updating them I guess?).

I bought VMWare Fusion last year when I got my MBP and ... it was unusable with Visual Studio and dealing with large number of source code files. I got Parallels a few weeks ago and ... it's night and day. I can run windows almost as fast as if it was native. VS runs smoothly, compiles, I can run applications smoothly.

I gave my work back my XPS and now I'm using my MBP at work for a dev computer and have for a few weeks now. Loving it.

At first, ran it on a 1TB external SSD but moved internal because I like to be able to move my MBP around at work without having to carry an external SSD attached to it.

I have yet to test any games (AOE, etc...) but things are running noticeably smoothly with 15.

Using my MBP at work has been liberating and really nice. I've got a USB C dock with my work's ethernet connection so I can connect my Parallels instance to the AD and get TFS updates, etc...

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I have a 16GB MacBook i5 and will update Parallels later this week.

4. Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that when I posted my retort. I kick myself because I thought I knew better.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 68000

--- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 ---

I have a feeling your problem may be not having a clean version of Windows as a starting point. I am running a 2014 MacBook Pro and the various versions of Windows I use for different purposes are Windows XP, 7, 10, Server 2008 and Server 2012. None are clunky of course all were clean installs. Whenever I have created a new VM I go back to clean versions I saved on an external drive to avoid the reinstall process. It works well for me.[/QUOTE]
    It’s not Windows itself. I have xp and 10. They run fine. They aren’t slow by any means. It’s just the dragging of the windows. The opening and closing of it. Etc. coherence mode is awful.

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

16GB MBP with an i5 as well. Intel Core i5-7287U Processor. Working well for me.

7. radio893fm macrumors regular

I used to be a Parallels user, but got sick and tired of having to pay for 3 computers to be upgraded every single year, and then moved to VirtualBox (FREE).

For those testing this and coming from VirtualBox, is there anything absolutely different/better that I need with this new version?

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I only have to worry about 1 computer. But if I had 3, yeah, Parallels would be a no-go. I used Virtualbox at first. It was too slow to work a dev environment with Windows 10 for me. Fusion was a little better but still not fast enough. Parallels = almost native windows performance for me working with large compiled projects in Visual Studio 2019.

9. Digital Dude, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    According to their specs, that should be okay, but I take their required specs with a 50-lb bag of salt. I love the macOS but more and more of the Apps I like, are progressively provisioned by MS and other windows based souces. I'm tempted to look at a high-end Windows rig. I never thought I would ever say that.

10. macizcool macrumors regular

Parallels has been buggy for me. I found that it causes my MacBook Pro to completely crash (screen goes black and the computer restarts). This is on a MacBook Pro 2015 running 10.14.

I used VMWare Fusion for years, and it ran like butter. I switched to Parallels about 3 years ago because I get a free Pro subscription from my employer. However, I’m thinking about purchasing Fusion once they release the next version.

Does anyone else have this issue with Parallels?

11. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Fortunately, I don’t have high end graphics-intensive requirements. I just need to run some windows-only apps (genealogy & other stuff) and two legacy instances of Mac OS. For me VMWare Fusion has better support and pricing structure.

12. stevemr123 macrumors regular

Same here. The business model of Parallels is to make you buy a new version almost yearly. Initially I was a Parallels user but when I was forced to buy the whole thing the third time I decided to just stop using it.

Take a look at this: https://kb.parallels.com/114381

Virtualbox is not nearly as good as Parallels but for my purposes it's ok enough... The trick with VirutalBox is not to use it's horrendous UI at all but start the machine headlessly and use Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to the VM which will provide a much improved user experience.

13. netkas macrumors 65816

dx11 virtualization thru metal doesn't seem to be fast, unigine heaven in dx11 mode is pretty slow compared to native run in macos/ogl

14. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

Except for the part where the macOS update is free and the Parallels update that brings compatibility is $49.99.

15. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Or, get oneself the cheapest configuration that is good enough for whatever things one may be needing Windows for.

16. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Dude, I suggest you install and run EtreCheckPro (www.etrecheck.com)
    No affiliation, dude. Only ace experiences.
    EtreCheckPro unveils everything you wish to know about your install.
    And also provides analytics from Kernel diagnostics.

With 32G RAM, you should have absolutely no issue with memory pressure under Parallels.
    (Check ActivityMonitor to see what? when? and how? memory is being used.)

I run HardwareMonitor (deprecated now because Apple removed the APIs).
    My MBPr two fans remain well-behaved, typically quiescent at 2,150RPM left, and 2,000RPM right.
    So all good.

BTW, Parallels installs and loads four Kernel Extensions on hardwired memory (courtesy of EtreCheckPro) -- removing them is akin to kiss of death:
    1. Hypervisor (prl_hypervisor.kext), loaded always
    2. NetBridge (prl_netbridge.kext), loaded always
    3. USB Connect (prl_usb_connect.kext), not loaded
    4. vNIC (prl_vnic.kext), loaded always

So, there you have it.
    I guess you may have to do a fresh Kernel install, after creating a Carbon Copy Cloner bootable copy, to safe your user environment.

17. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

It seems to cover the upgrade. When I look at the upgrade button on the "About Parallels" window it states my subscription covers upgrades.

18. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Jeez. This again.
    A MacOS update is not free. Not.
    What Apple have done us charged you up front and hidden the cost.
    They’ve sat down and said to themselves;
    Let’s say the hardware is worth $1000. Then we add the cost of 7 years of updates at say $100/year.
    Let’s sell the Mac at $1700.

Next step, Mac users falling over themselves to call it free and praise Apple.

19. minik macrumors 65816

I bought 2 pro edition upgrade (subscription) during last Black Friday sales and installed on two Mac. I can upgrade to version 15 right away as part of the subscription.

Sure I have to renew my licenses to keep them going but it's a pretty good deal for the first year.

20. Mick-Mac macrumors regular

Parallels completely lost me as a customer many years ago when they decided to change their licensing from per user to per seat. I used to use Parallels both at home and at work, and (obviously) I can't be in both places at once. One day I upgraded to the next yearly version and all of sudden when I went to use my copy at work it said that license was already used up (at home) and that I needed to buy another copy to use it at work.

That was the last penny Parallels ever saw from me, I moved to VMWare there and then (they don't have that restriction) and have been happy ever since. That vile, disgusting Parallels money grab was the last straw - I hope they rot in hell.

21. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

'Silicon Valley lies' is just a really funny statement when you think about it. Like Palo Alto and Mountain View have lied to you enough for this to actually come out of your brain. This community is too much.

22. Marx55 macrumors 68000

The problem with Parallel Desktop is that it crashes Windows when trying to control and record data from an external machine via USB. VMware Fusion has no problem with that.

23. H2SO4 macrumors 601

You’ll need to provide more info than that.
    I use it to record data over USB in Windows without issue.

24. CreeptoLoser macrumors 6502

CreeptoLoser

Parallels app fills the macOS with bits and pieces of bloatware designed to make you purchase extra things. That wouldn't be a problem if they did it in a subtle and tidy way but it's right in your face.

25. Marx55 macrumors 68000